• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen, for the quick responses. For the moment, the GLOCK is what I have. But I've become increasingly aware just how 'big' this 'little' gun is. I had begun research on a smaller gun, but must admit, I'm still 'gunshy' so to speak of using a smaller caliber. From personnel experience in Iraq, the 9MM failed to incapacitate on two occasions (I was not the shooter, someone else in my squad). But, as you mentioned, ammunition plays a huge part, and we were using simple ball ammo.

Does anyone have any experience with the Beretta Nano? I recently had the chance to play around with it and it's highly concealable (far thinner than my GLOCK).

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you, gentlemen, for the quick responses. For the moment, the GLOCK is what I have. But I've become increasingly aware just how 'big' this 'little' gun is. I had begun research on a smaller gun, but must admit, I'm still 'gunshy' so to speak of using a smaller caliber. From personnel experience in Iraq, the 9MM failed to incapacitate on two occasions (I was not the shooter, someone else in my squad). But, as you mentioned, ammunition plays a huge part, and we were using simple ball ammo.

Does anyone have any experience with the Beretta Nano? I recently had the chance to play around with it and it's highly concealable (far thinner than my GLOCK).

As I'm sure you already know, shot placement plays a huge role, as well as other factors. I don't have personal experience with the Nano, but I do favor the Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, and Kahr P380. I would see if nutnfancy or hickok45 has reviews on the Nano - their reviews tend to be pretty fair and comprehensive.

Someone mentioned pocket carry. I bought my .380 thinking I was going to pocket carry, and quickly ended up carrying it IWB in a kydex holster. Pocket carrying is incredibly inconvenient and cumbersome. Most of the pocket holsters have zero retention (intentional by design), and the firearm only stays in the holster when you're standing up. I had my .380 slip out of a desantis pocket holster several times while sitting down - which is why I never carried it with a round chambered. I switched to the kydex IWB and love the retention I get. I carry it with a round in the chamber, as everyone should, and it carries infinitely better on the waist than any gun will ever carry in your pocket. If you want to move carefree and nearly forget that you're carrying a firearm, carry a small pistol IWB. If you want something flopping around and getting in the way, carry in your pocket.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggested pocket carry actually. It works very well with the baby Glock in my experience (via Don Hume pocket holster or bare back). But like any mode of carry, it will vary based on your style of clothing. In this regard, you have two choices. Pick a gun that works well with the style of clothing you wear. Or change your style of clothing to suit the gun you want to carry.

Again, experiences will vary from person to person. You can go, in the waistband, on the waistband, pocket, crotch, ankle, SOB, shoulder rig, belly band. Whatever you want. Each has advantages and disadvatages. Some accomodate a wide variety ofclothing styles. Others do not.

RedLeg

Reaction score
Anyone here experienced with NYC gun laws? I'm moving there in a month and have been finding a lot of conflicting information on the web.

I know I need permit to even keep guns in my residence and concealed carry is out of the question. Do I need to obtain both a handgun and rifle permit separately? Also, can I bring an AR 15 that is chambered for .22 LR? I know for sure that I cannot bring my one chambered for 5.56.

Thanks guys.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suggested pocket carry actually.  It works very well with the baby Glock in my experience (via Don Hume pocket holster or bare back).  But like any mode of carry, it will vary based on your style of clothing.  In this regard, you have two choices.  Pick a gun that works well with the style of clothing you wear.  Or change your style of clothing to suit the gun you want to carry.

Again, experiences will vary from person to person.  You can go, in the waistband, on the waistband, pocket, crotch, ankle, SOB, shoulder rig, belly band.  Whatever you want.  Each has advantages and disadvatages.  Some accomodate a wide variety ofclothing styles.  Others do not.

A glock 26/27 is definitely not a pocket gun. I agree with the rest of your post, though.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree but respect the fact that your experience has lead you to a different conclusion.

Walk into any gun store in America. Tell them you're interested in a pocket gun. If they bring you over to a Glock 26, I'll buy it for you.

Calling a firearm the size of a Glock 26 a pocket gun is nothing but a disservice to the idea that there are appropriate handguns for each situation - and those handguns are further classified into sub-categories. I could fit a Mark 23 in the pocket of some cargo shorts I have - that doesn't make it a pocket gun.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Walk into any gun store in America. Tell them you're interested in a pocket gun. If they bring you over to a Glock 26, I'll buy it for you.
Calling a firearm the size of a Glock 26 a pocket gun is nothing but a disservice to the idea that there are appropriate handguns for each situation - and those handguns are further classified into sub-categories. I could fit a Mark 23 in the pocket of some cargo shorts I have - that doesn't make it a pocket gun.

I pretty much agree with this. IMO a Glock 26 is in that class of handguns that's in the transition zone between a "pocket" gun and a full size handgun. It's def easier to pocket a 26 over the 17 or 19 but I don't want to carry any of them pocket style. There's substantial weight and bulk to contend with. Once you carry a true pocket class handgun the difference is like night and day. Everything about carrying concealed becomes much easier. Some common true pocket guns would be the shorter barreled NAA mini revolvers, Ruger LCP or something equivalent.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
That's a bold statement, and I generally ignore what gun store staff tell me. In most cases, their recommendations are based on very narrow experience. As I stated, your experience has lead you to one conclusion. My experience has been different. I'm happy to leave it that. I don't recall calling the baby Glock a "pocket gun". While I agree that carrying a Mark 23 in a pocket sounds ridiculous, that does not mean putting a Glock in your pocket is inappropriate. But it can be done, and depending on the garment it works very well (but that can be said of any mode of concealed carry). If you don't like it, don't do it. I don't recommend carrying any gun in a manner that is uncomfortable or inconvenient, again recognizing that in some situations compromises must be made. Stay safe everyone.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note...

I got my DB9 back from the factory a while ago and have continued my testing and familiarization with the little beast. Turnaround time for the repair was one week. That impresses me a lot. Mechanical devices fail no matter how good they are. My experience with Diamondback Firearms has been phenomenal.

So back to the range for more function testing. If you remember I was working on solving the FTF issues with new mags when the trigger spring broke. To make a long story short the gun is very sensitive to grip. I had no FTF, FTE or any other issue with the gun doing two and three shot rapid fire drills. The failures showed up when I was slow firing the gun for accuracy at longer ranges. My grip, stance and trigger press are different between these two modes of operation. Basically I was limp wristing the gun when shooting for long range accuracy. Firming up the grip and locking the wrist solved the problem. The gun is so light it needs that resistance to the recoil to operate correctly. It's the most sensitive gun I've ever owned in this regard and is something that anyone who owns this gun needs to keep in mind when experiencing FTF/FTE issues.

It took me nearly 1300 rounds of ammo, a trip back to the factory and a little problem solving to decide that this gun is suitable to be used as one of my primary CCW guns.

I'll get around to writing up a full review and posting it on my blog one of these days... I've got a Ruger MK2 Target pistol that needs to be sighted in for a lil squirrel hunting. Shooting a gun is much more fun than writing about shooting a gun!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:fu: I was running a few mags of the defense ammo I want to use in the DB9 to see if they cycled OK. The friggin trigger spring broke again. Called up Diamondback and it's going back for the second time in less than 2 months. Talked with them a bit and after they found out that I've run about another 700 rounds through it they told me I was basically shooting it too much! Say what? 1300 rounds is too much? I was told it was designed to be shot a little and carried alot. A 3 day pistol class you shoot around 600 rounds through whatever gun. In my experience the gun would fail before the end of the class. WTF is that? Needless to say I'm not happy at all. I can't, in good conscience, recommend this gun to anyone. Once it's fixed I'm going to dump it and buy a Kahr baby 9 or a Sig 938,

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought this this morning for concealed carry. I'm anxious to try it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads