• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, 9/40/45 doesn't matter to me. For carry, you want the gun to be comfortable otherwise you won't carry it. The operation should be manageable too otherwise you won't shoot it. If that means carrying a 9mm, then that's fine. If you like the 1911, if it's comfortable enough for everyday carry, and if you practice regularly then you've got yourself a fine carry gun.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eh, 9/40/45 doesn't matter to me.  For carry, you want the gun to be comfortable otherwise you won't carry it.  The operation should be manageable too otherwise you won't shoot it.  If that means carrying a 9mm, then that's fine.  If you like the 1911, if it's comfortable enough for everyday carry, and if you practice regularly then you've got yourself a fine carry gun.

Yeah, I stopped worrying about the whole caliber thing long ago. Any of the typical defense calibers will work just fine thanks to modern bullet design. What's more important is exactly what you said. If you won't carry it or practice with it what's the point? People need to remember that shooting skills are very perishable. Without regular practice with a purpose I'm inclined to think one may be better off not to be armed.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know. You've said as much before, globe, but that's because you have a very, very, very different perspective on firearms. I really don't care which is the most efficient killing machine. I couldn't care less. I like firearms that are beautiful and either historic, enjoyable for me to shoot, or accurate. But if it isn't beautiful, I don't care how well it performs. My favorite gun to shoot is from 1928.

It's like a manual clutch -- these days the autos are far more efficient, but they aren't as soulful, involving, or fun. I don't care that they are a tenth of a second faster to 60, or that it can post a better 0-60 with an inexperienced driver far more easily than I can in my 6MT. I don't care. It's not about performance for me.

~ H

I used to be all anti-tupperware, but these days I see the pro vrs. anti plastic/ form vrs function posturing as a bit silly. If I were into cars, I would want a vintage Italian sports car, a classic Brit 4WD Land Rover Defender and a modern, practical daily driver that is still fun to own.
I like the aesthetics of a timeless classic, beautifully crafted blued steel and wood firearm. I also appreciate the ugly purity of function in some of today's new breed of handguns and rifles.
Most days I carry a plastic Beretta subcompact in my waistband, though the pistol I most enjoy shooting is a Pieta reproduction of the 1858 New Army black powder revolver. As for rifles, I love the Cold War history soaked into the Russian laminate of my AKS74U 'Krinkov', the beautiful old world craftsmanship in my Australian no.1, mk4 SMLE and the ergonomics and shooting performance of my green plastic bullpup AUG A1.
And I understand both perspectives, sometimes am even torn by it.

My primary clays target gun. Joel Etchen custom combo with a Silver Pigeon II frame, Gold E barrels, and EELL wood:

I only recently put the wood stock back on. Developed a bad flinch over the years and for more than 3 years had to use a PFS stock to reduce recoil. It took a lot of dry firing with snap caps to get over the yips but I finally did. The PFS is just plain ugly, but it does work and works well.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And I understand both perspectives, sometimes am even torn by it. My primary clays target gun. Joel Etchen custom combo with a Silver Pigeon II frame, Gold E barrels, and EELL wood:
I usually prefer 19century hunting rifles but this one is not bad for a modern shooter. I currently use "T. Page Wood" 12 bore SxS bar action hammer,pin fire gun with Damascus barrels. It's a lovely gun that I purchased at the auction for $175.00. It has walnut, checkered stock and engraved metals.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I understand both perspectives, sometimes am even torn by it.

My primary clays target gun. Joel Etchen custom combo with a Silver Pigeon II frame, Gold E barrels, and EELL wood:

I only recently put the wood stock back on. Developed a bad flinch over the years and for more than 3 years had to use a PFS stock to reduce recoil. It took a lot of dry firing with snap caps to get over the yips but I finally did. The PFS is just plain ugly, but it does work and works well.

The Silver Pigeons are beautiful. 30" tubes and a high rib -- trapshooter?

Quote:

Am a little confused -- the Pigeon is not a rifle. Pinfires can be quite beautiful, but virtually impossible to ever shoot due to the difficulty in reloading for it -- you have to be a pretty serious hobbyist to even attempt it. I don't think anyone manufactures pinfire ammunition. How do you use it?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am a little confused -- the Pigeon is not a rifle.  Pinfires can be quite beautiful, but virtually impossible to ever shoot due to the difficulty in reloading for it -- you have to be a pretty serious hobbyist to even attempt it. I don't think anyone manufactures pinfire ammunition. How do you use it?

I might have misused the pin-fire term. The hammers hit the permanent pins that in turn hit the back of the shell to ignite the charge. I can use store bought shells , but I often make my own (it's a habit).

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put a PFS on my 682 Gold E, it works well for flinch. I also have another Graco like recoil reduced on my Perazzi, but the stock comb movement with shooting still causes me issues.
Ended up shooting the Beretta auto best with the parallel stock, so all the O/U sit in safe!:embar:

Regards.

smokeyfan1000

Reaction score
Sorry, but if I'm going to someday need it for personal & home protection, I want a caliber that's going to stop them from getting back up. If he can get back up, he may still be able to harm someone.

The reason Police went from 38 Special to 40 cal is they were seeing perpertrators getting up and running away away being shot 2-4 times with a 38.

That's why I'd refer a .45 cal. He's not likely to get up, let alone run away. I don't want to kill anyone, but if it's him or me, well, he's on the losing team IMO.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just put a PFS on my 682 Gold E, it works well for flinch. I also have another Graco like recoil reduced on my Perazzi, but the stock comb movement with shooting still causes me issues.
Ended up shooting the Beretta auto best with the parallel stock, so all the O/U sit in safe!
shog[1].gif

Regards.

Trap only if I can't shoot anything else LOL, I've shot enough of it. I prefer Sporting Clays most of all and Skeet second. Skeet I look at as mental masturbation for the mind and is relaxing for me. I use the Silver Pigeon for all shotgun venues, except field work of course. And bird hunting with the dog is one of my main passions in life: http://www.styleforum.net/t/109517/leftys-random-dog-thread/2760#post_5596562

My youngest son feel in love with trap and was the Mn. State runner up. At the age of 15. We shot ~20k rounds a year for awhile but now that he is older and I don't shoot ATA any more I'm down to 5k rounds a year, with the shotgun anyhow. I reload for shotgun, rifle and pistol, we couldn't have been able to do that much shooting at the time without it. Now that the cost of lead has jumped so high it doesn't always make economic sense to reload for the lower volume I am shooting. So an auto has become an option for me. The Toller in my avatar is sitting in a 12 pound keg of Red Dot gunpowder I purchased in 83 and it lasted me almost 5 years for pistol and shotgun shooting. Once my son got into competition shooting we were going through a 8 pound keg of Clays every 3-4 weeks. The 391 parallel comb is one of the best handling shotguns I have picked up and I have talked several friends into them. Now that I'm not such a hull whore I have considered getting one for myself. And of course would have to upgrade the wood with something from Coles in Maine, they have some fantastic wood as does Weing.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
Sorry, but if I'm going to someday need it for personal & home protection, I want a caliber that's going to stop them from getting back up. If he can get back up, he may still be able to harm someone.

The reason Police went from 38 Special to 40 cal is they were seeing perpertrators getting up and running away away being shot 2-4 times with a 38.

That's why I'd refer a .45 cal. He's not likely to get up, let alone run away. I don't want to kill anyone, but if it's him or me, well, he's on the losing team IMO.

Here is a compact two shot .45 that I came across the other day, pretty interesting...not a reccomendation, just interesting.

125256433356540320_JixpnUwY_f.jpg

Apollotrader

Reaction score
And this is one I own that has some very useful features for concealed carry, it is a H&K P7 M13 "squeeze cock"

images

My personal go to pistol remains a USP however.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe it was the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami that spurred the initial interest in transitioning from revolvers to automatic handguns. Even then, most police agencies were deploying 9mm guns. And you will still find plenty of 9mm handguns in service at various agencies around the country (including the FBI which allows agents to carry a 9mm .40 or .45).

If you only make a peripheral hit, a larger caliber doesn't help much. Now, if you can make your hits with a .45 go for it. If you can't, the larger bullet isn't helping you.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe it was the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami that spurred the initial interest in transitioning from revolvers to automatic handguns.  Even then, most police agencies were deploying 9mm guns.  And you will still find plenty of 9mm handguns in service at various agencies around the country (including the FBI which allows agents to carry a 9mm .40 or .45).

If you only make a peripheral hit, a larger caliber doesn't help much.  Now, if you can make your hits with a .45 go for it.  If you can't, the larger bullet isn't helping you.

Correct. Accuracy in placing a bullet is far more important than caliber. In any caliber it's important to pick ammunition specifically designed for the intended task. Pick the wrong type of ammo in any caliber and terminal performance goes out the window. Keep in mind I can come up with a horror story that disparages just about any caliber under the sun. There is no such thing as a magic bullet or caliber. About the only thing that's almost guaranteed to stop anything in it's tracks is a CNS hit. A 9 40 or 45 are all capable of that. So are many of today's frowned upon calibers. Where the real problem lies is whether or not you can get deep enough penetration on off angle shots and hit major arteries and lungs. Again the common duty calibers are all capable of this as well. The sub caliber small CCW guns are a different story of course but that's another subject altogether.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads