• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci wallet identification needed

Almighty1

Reaction score
Greetings everyone:

I purchased this Black leather wallet from Neiman-Marcus San Francisco on July 1, 2005. Underneath the inside side slots is the stamped number "04806.2184". Does anyone know what the style name and what kind of leather is used in this wallet as it's a really soft type of leather?

Here are some pictures that I used my Epson Perfection V750 Pro scanner to scan and merged with Adobe Photoshop CS2 so the colors may be a bit off:

Front of box and side of box as well as the Neiman-Marcus tags and the other things that came with the wallet:

Gucci1.jpg

Front of wallet:
Gucci2.jpg

Wallet Opened - Outside:
abf9bccc.jpg

Wallet Opened - Inside (flap closed):
94d66820.jpg

Wallet Opened - Inside (flap opened portion):
2dc692da.jpg

Back of wallet:
Gucci3.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you looked for the wallet on gucci.com? That looks like a fairly standard model, so they will probably have it there and tell the exact type of leather. It looks like it could be calf or maybe deer? I know Gucci's pigskin is called "Niagara," but I don't the exact name of the calf, deer, etc.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contact Gucci, they can help you.

Almighty1

Reaction score
Hmm, is there a way to contact Gucci rather than their boutique stores since from their website, it says that in the US, to contact the nearest store. And their website seems to only have the Fall 2006 collection. I always thought Calf leather is a lot harder since the Prada wallets and even the Cartier and LV Nomade and the Tumi Modernist Nappa leather wallets seem to have harder leather. And I'm not even sure if it's Kidskin since the only kidskin I've ever felt were the ones used on women's shoes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, contacting the nearest boutique is the easiest thing to do. Or, I would call the flagship in NYC. Call them; ask to speak to somebody in men's accessories. Then, read them the item numbers from your wallet.

From those numbers, they should be able to tell you what it is and what it is made from (they can also tell you the age/season of the item.)

As for calf, it just all depends on how it is treated/prepared as to how hard it is. I have hard, grained calf items and soft ones that look more like yours.

Almighty1

Reaction score
Thanks rach2jlc, I thought the stamped numbers inside the wallet was actually the date code since it seems like it's August 2004 except I have no idea what the 2184 means. I called the local San Francisco boutique and they said I had to bring the wallet in so they can look at it. Are soft calfskin less durable than the hard grained ones? Also, does anyone know what exactly is Nappa leather since it seems when I do a search, some sites says it's the skin from a lamb and others says it's still from a cow/calf.

Almighty1

Reaction score
I called the San Francisco Gucci boutique yesterday and they told me to bring the wallet in so I did that in the late afternoon yesterday. So when I got to the department that sold men's wallets, I basically told the guy I'm looking for a similar wallet and showed him the wallet with the box and all tags. He said he doesn't know what season it's from and it's a very nice wallet and he didn't even know what type of leather it was either.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one problem with general sales staff. In many cases, they work seasonally/on breaks/while they are in college or grad school, etc. and don't know items that well, especially ones that are more than 1 or 2 seasons old. That's why I'd call the flagship in NYC. Or, you could have asked the Sales associate to check with the manager. I always do that (most especially with LV items). In some cases, my mom has been able to authenticate LV better than the general sales staff. In other cases, I've been told blatantly incorrect info from SA's. But, the managers generally have been there longer and are MUCH more knowledgable.

Almighty1

Reaction score
One thing about LV is there are ways to contact their customer service department by phone or by e-mail but such a option is not available for Gucci since I'm sure it's a lot easier when they have a Customer Service number or e-mail address that one can write with the information.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's good advice; rakuten is always a good resource (and, I can tell you from living in Japan, a wonderful place to shop!!)

But, in case you don't speak Japanese, I took the liberty of looking it up for you:

http://esearch.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd/...&min=&max=&p=0

At this link, you'll see that this isn't your wallet. So, I think that the Gucci box that you received from the store is for a different wallet (see links above). According to your box, your wallet is model number 04857R. But, inside your wallet is 04806. These numbers should be the same (for example, I looked at one of my Gucci wallets, and the box item number is 115217 and the number stamped inside the wallet is also 115217. If you type this number into rakuten, I come up with my wallet.)

Can you double check the number stamped inside your wallet? I typed in the number you gave but on rakuten as well nothing came up.

Almighty1

Reaction score
I just checked and the number is correct, could it be that Gucci has models for certain markets only?

What's the deal with department stores just giving any box as long as it's the same brand but the sticker outside is for another model. I noticed that Sak's does that for Cartier belts since the sticker on the boxes is for a different model. Wouldn't this cause the problem of the store telling you that this is not the right box and blaming you for switching it if you needed to do a return or exchange?

dreamoflv

Reaction score
Hi! I just bought this from ebay and the seller's ad says this wallet is authentic or money back guarantee if proven otherwise. I also just want to know if I have bought the real deal, don't want to use a fake. Please help me. Thanks in advance!

Item Name: seller just wrote "Gucci Monogram Wallet"

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Actually, contacting the nearest boutique is the easiest thing to do. Or, I would call the flagship in NYC. Call them; ask to speak to somebody in men's accessories. Then, read them the item numbers from your wallet. From those numbers, they should be able to tell you what it is and what it is made from (they can also tell you the age/season of the item.) .
+1

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The joys of 4 year old necroposting; gotta love Spammers. I had no recollection of posting on this thread, and then looked at the dates...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads