• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gucci or Ferragamo Horsebit Loafers

a-rock

Reaction score
E Verona are close approx to the Gucci's at half the price.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
AE Verona are close approx to the Gucci's at half the price.
The AE's would be a great loafer to go with cords. *EDIT* I just saw the AE Burbank; I think it's a very, very good looking bit loafer:
2340.jpg
Different angle in black:
Allen%20Edmonds%20Burbank.jpg

baseball_guy

Reaction score
whiteslashasian;2669114 said:
The AE's would be a great loafer to go with cords.

*EDIT*

I just saw the AE Burbank; I think it's a very, very good looking bit loafer:

2340.jpg

Originally Posted by ralphandricky1967
Which pair of loafers do you guys prefer?

The classic Gucci horsebit loafers
ClassicGucci.jpg

http://www.gucci.com/us/us-english/u...25098AE1002535

The Gucci looks more luxurious. Maybe it is the softer leather? The AE looks more pedestrian, like a workshoe. I could imagine a banker wearing the AE, and the owner of the bank wearing the Gucci.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
baseball_guy;2670234 said:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
The AE's would be a great loafer to go with cords.

*EDIT*

I just saw the AE Burbank; I think it's a very, very good looking bit loafer:

2340.jpg

The Gucci looks more luxurious. Maybe it is the softer leather? The AE looks more pedestrian, like a workshoe. I could imagine a banker wearing the AE, and the owner of the bank wearing the Gucci.

That AE is ok, not great IMO. ITs funny you mention banks - apparently Gucci bit loafers are (or were) a very popular day-to-day shoe at Wall Street iBanks. A friend who is a VP at JPMChase told me everybody and their mom wears them, especially if they aren't in a suit that day.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Louche;2670331 said:
Originally Posted by baseball_guy

That AE is ok, not great IMO. ITs funny you mention banks - apparently Gucci bit loafers are (or were) a very popular day-to-day shoe at Wall Street iBanks. A friend who is a VP at JPMChase told me everybody and their mom wears them, especially if they aren't in a suit that day.

I see them worn with suits, very often. Terrible look that is.

I guess I just prefer a slightly sleeker, no frills look with loafers. Then again, I don't own very many.

Jacksan

Reaction score
I have the SF loafers. They are much sleeker than the original picture posted, about on par with the AE loafers, for what it's worth.
Feels comfortable wearing about, and I liked them at the time, until I got some John Lobbs. Now I look for more reasons to wear my suits so I can wear the JL's
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gucci. As stated, the SF look dated..

footdoctors

Reaction score
Of the two you showed, the Gucci's are of much higher quality. That doesn't mean Ferragamo can't compete, the Lorenzo just isn't their finest for this competition. I may vote differently if it was going up against a different one of Ferragamo's bit loafers but that particular Gucci model is a tough one to beat.

Here are some BIT loafers in the order of quality as far as I'm concerned:

The Ferragamo MIX Tramezza (impossible to find)
Then the Gucci you showed
Then the Ferragamo Diego
Then the Ferragamo Cancun
Followed by the Ferragamo Faro

Attached are some pics of the Ferragamo's that I noted above which I took from my online Ferragamo Museum:

http://www.shoearchives.com/salvator...amoarchive.htm

TimothyDwight

Reaction score
As far as actual wearability, it is 6 of 1, half dozen of the other, but you can wear Gucci's that are 20 years old with out a problem, where you probably would not feel comfortable wearing Ferragamos from 1989.

Delimit

Reaction score
This moved me to register.

The Guccis. They are a classic. If you want a bit loafer, they are the ones to own.

The Ferragamos look a tad dated, and will look even more so a few years on.

ta.sh

Reaction score
from a women's perspective.
definitely the gucci.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both gucci and ferragamo loafers, though not those two models. I prefer my ferragamos over guccis. I have a pair of diegos that I bought 5 years ago, and they have held up well.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Have you tried either on? Ferragamo's don't fit me (too narrow) and I was able to find just the right Gucci for me a few weeks ago, really love them and the sale price was pretty good ($359 from $595). Bluefly has decent sales right now on a good variety of them and I'd *assume* the instore sale at Gucci is still going on, that is where I purchased mine.

Also, I'll admit brands do matter to me and Gucci is the original when it comes to horse-bits so that didn't hurt when I was deciding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads