• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

groomsman- suit fit check

peterparker20

Reaction score
Hi there.

I only own 1 dark suit -- a charcoal Brooks Bros Fitzgerald in size 41 that's fits pretty good IMO.

I had to order a second suit sight unseen for a wedding in 2 months (picked for me). It was "extra slim fit" (not sure if that's true in reality) and only available in even sizes (40 or 42), so I figured I would go with 42R.

It's currently untailored, but seeking advice if I should try to size down to a 40R (shoulders are the most important part to get right, correct?)

I attached a few photos -- let me know if more are needed. The pants are fine/ easy to handle. I will of course get the sleeves shortened and possibly the waist taken in a bit. The suit is also wrinkled as it came in a box via the post office.

My overall initial impressions it that it DOES seem a tad large and boxy, but that's perhaps because it's untailored, and/ or that's just the style of the suit.
I'm also unsure if the 40 will seem too small.

Thoughts? Should I take more pics?

I hastily put on a random shirt/ tie so they're not quite right either - please ignore ha.

Attachments

• suit1edited.jpg
    suit1edited.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 33
  • suit3edit.jpg
    suit3edit.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 96
  • suit2edit.jpg
    suit2edit.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 102

compuccesory

Reaction score
It looks like the front is a bit too short, the buttoning point too high, and your quarters (the part below the button) are "crossing over" each other. Going down a size isn't going to fix that. Other than that it seems OK, you probably could have gone to your local Nordstrom Rack and tried it on first. Those suits have huge armholes so doing anything with your arms is going to be uncomfortable.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is 42L an option? That would likely lower the buttoning point, and make the front look a bit better. I think you have a slighty forward tilted posture, and that may be impacting how the front of the coat hangs. This is also impacting how the pants drape.

A 40R would be way too short.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree that 40R will probably be too short in the body for you. I’d try a 40L if they have it but if not this be okay with a little tailoring. I agree with all of your suggested alterations.
Do you normally stand this straight or is it for the picture? If you naturally stand a little less erect then the balance of the jacket will probably be fine. Have fun, hope the wedding goes forward as planned!

peterparker20

Reaction score
Hmm interesting feedback. I wasn't even thinking about button placement.

I know I'm not the groom but if I'm going to keep and purchase the suit, I'd prefer it fit well of course.
The actual suit is here: https://www.belk.com/p/calvin-klein-natural-stretch-xfit-suit-separate-coat/3202407MLBI17NW0020.html

So it looks like the button position is a bit high in general on the suit. I thought the ideal 'length' was midway down your thumb with arms down, so it seems the overall length is fine. Would the L make the jacket too long?

They do have 40L so perhaps I'll try that and return the one that looks worse.

Hmm not sure if I was posing or not. I usually try to stand straight anyway ha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads