• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green dress shirts?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a green OCBD just to give my wardrobe some variety, but I realized that I don't think I've _ever_ seen anyone wearing a green dress shirt. I also don't have many jackets or ties that would coordinate well. What is the general opinion on the forum regarding green dress shirts?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one (custom from Land's End). Try maybe a complementary colour, such as blue suit. Or dark gray. Off-white/cream/natural linen colour suits look smashing with green shirts, also!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like sage or "money" green with navy blue suits or turquoise/aqua greens with greys.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh Yes! I have a handful of that range from mint to celedon by RLPL, Truzzi, Charvet and Borrelli. They all have french cuffs and one of Charvets has a bit of irridesence to it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use green often,not bright green though
crazy.gif
. Pale or seafoam usually. Looks good with Brown shades and even certain greys.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a few 'green' shirts, but usually wear them w/ blazers and sport jackets...

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green is good. I have alime green gingham and a bright lime green linen.
both look good with khakis, dark navy, grey.
If you go dark green for fall it works nice with brown.
I put mine under a chocolate couduroy or a herringbone tweed.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great ideas! I was thinking of easing into green with a Lands' End shirt in what they call "jade green", really a kind of pastel aqua. It sounds like it would go well with many different combinations (navy blazer and gray/charcoal/tan trousers, maybe my tan glen plaid jacket, etc.). I also like the idea of cream/natural/off white linen suits, though this is currently a hole in my wardrobe.

dprof's idea of green with brown corduroy makes me think I may also try their "forest green", since that should go well with earthtones, including my brown corduroy jacket.

Any other ideas?

willie

Reaction score
I have many green dress shirts and wear them frequently. Don't be too reluctant to take some chances. There are so many great shades of green.

sloaney

Reaction score
i have one and it has stayed in the closet..... partly it doesn't match my skin tone (does it match anyone's?) i can imagine that dark jewel green shirt might be appropriate for someone with dark skin at night for clubbing but generally i think white, pink and blue, as well as dark blue stripe/check and dark red stripe/check look the best on most people so i tend to stick with those. i have regretted my purchases when i ventured beyond these.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green dress shirts, like brown, purple or grey are "fashion" colours. Which means, they can be in or out depending on the season's marketing palette.

!luc

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently placed an order with Jantzen for a shirt with this fabric.

Green's my favourite colour so I thought I would give it a try. It may not get much wear, but when it does I'm sure it will be noticed.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
i have one and it has stayed in the closet..... partly it doesn't match my skin tone (does it match anyone's?) i can imagine that dark jewel green shirt might be appropriate for someone with dark skin at night for clubbing but generally i think white, pink and blue, as well as dark blue stripe/check and dark red stripe/check look the best on most people so i tend to stick with those. i have regretted my purchases when i ventured beyond these.
Blue, pink and white are my predominant shirt (and tie) colors too, but I feel like I'm in a rut and want to diversify. I have swatches of the Lands' End fabric to try and ensure that the shade of green will indeed complement my skin tone. !luc, I will also wear lavender and gray, but those shirts have worn out and need to be replaced, so I thought I might try green. denning, I like the fabric you posted. I hope you enjoy the shirt!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads