1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Green dress shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thinman, Jul 12, 2006.

1. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I'm thinking of buying a green OCBD just to give my wardrobe some variety, but I realized that I don't think I've _ever_ seen anyone wearing a green dress shirt. I also don't have many jackets or ties that would coordinate well. What is the general opinion on the forum regarding green dress shirts?

2. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

I have one (custom from Land's End). Try maybe a complementary colour, such as blue suit. Or dark gray. Off-white/cream/natural linen colour suits look smashing with green shirts, also!

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

If it's a pleasing green fabric to you, then by all means go for it.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Stylish Dinosaur

I like sage or "money" green with navy blue suits or turquoise/aqua greens with greys.

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Oh Yes! I have a handful of that range from mint to celedon by RLPL, Truzzi, Charvet and Borrelli. They all have french cuffs and one of Charvets has a bit of irridesence to it.

6. yachtie

yachtie Distinguished Member

I use green often,not bright green though[​IMG] . Pale or seafoam usually. Looks good with Brown shades and even certain greys.

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

Am I wrong in thinking that a green OCBD would go well with a trad-ish camel jacket?

8. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

I got a few 'green' shirts, but usually wear them w/ blazers and sport jackets...

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

Green is good. I have alime green gingham and a bright lime green linen.
    both look good with khakis, dark navy, grey.
    If you go dark green for fall it works nice with brown.
    I put mine under a chocolate couduroy or a herringbone tweed.

10. thinman

Thanks for all the great ideas! I was thinking of easing into green with a Lands' End shirt in what they call "jade green", really a kind of pastel aqua. It sounds like it would go well with many different combinations (navy blazer and gray/charcoal/tan trousers, maybe my tan glen plaid jacket, etc.). I also like the idea of cream/natural/off white linen suits, though this is currently a hole in my wardrobe.

dprof's idea of green with brown corduroy makes me think I may also try their "forest green", since that should go well with earthtones, including my brown corduroy jacket.

Any other ideas?

11. willie

willie Member

I have many green dress shirts and wear them frequently. Don't be too reluctant to take some chances. There are so many great shades of green.

12. sloaney

sloaney Senior Member

i have one and it has stayed in the closet..... partly it doesn't match my skin tone (does it match anyone's?) i can imagine that dark jewel green shirt might be appropriate for someone with dark skin at night for clubbing but generally i think white, pink and blue, as well as dark blue stripe/check and dark red stripe/check look the best on most people so i tend to stick with those. i have regretted my purchases when i ventured beyond these.

13. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

Green dress shirts, like brown, purple or grey are "fashion" colours. Which means, they can be in or out depending on the season's marketing palette.

!luc

14. denning

denning Distinguished Member

I recently placed an order with Jantzen for a shirt with this fabric.

[​IMG]

Green's my favourite colour so I thought I would give it a try. It may not get much wear, but when it does I'm sure it will be noticed.

15. thinman

i have one and it has stayed in the closet..... partly it doesn't match my skin tone (does it match anyone's?) i can imagine that dark jewel green shirt might be appropriate for someone with dark skin at night for clubbing but generally i think white, pink and blue, as well as dark blue stripe/check and dark red stripe/check look the best on most people so i tend to stick with those. i have regretted my purchases when i ventured beyond these.
    Blue, pink and white are my predominant shirt (and tie) colors too, but I feel like I'm in a rut and want to diversify. I have swatches of the Lands' End fabric to try and ensure that the shade of green will indeed complement my skin tone. !luc, I will also wear lavender and gray, but those shirts have worn out and need to be replaced, so I thought I might try green. denning, I like the fabric you posted. I hope you enjoy the shirt!