• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, Grant Stone experts: over the past few months I've purchased 4 pairs (Ottawa in crimson CXL, Cap Toe in brown calf, longwing in cognac pebble grain, and Chukka in tan suede) and I've become a raving fan.

Q: I want to get the Ottawa in bourbon suede, but it has a leather sole. Since I live in the rainy PNW (climate change notwithstanding), I've got a bit of anxiety about that. Do I (a) stick with leather, and assume an earlier than normal resole will be needed, or (b) slap a (Vibram or other) topy on there?

TIA!
Hard to pass up suede and a leather sole combo for me

basu13

Reaction score
Alright, Grant Stone experts: over the past few months I've purchased 4 pairs (Ottawa in crimson CXL, Cap Toe in brown calf, longwing in cognac pebble grain, and Chukka in tan suede) and I've become a raving fan.

Q: I want to get the Ottawa in bourbon suede, but it has a leather sole. Since I live in the rainy PNW (climate change notwithstanding), I've got a bit of anxiety about that. Do I (a) stick with leather, and assume an earlier than normal resole will be needed, or (b) slap a (Vibram or other) topy on there?

TIA!

Here is what I have done on my suede Ottawas. Best of both worlds.

IMG_20220203_140645__01.jpg IMG_20220203_135857__01.jpg

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t be the only one who has this…. Minor inconvenience am I? A shoe fits perfect on 1 foot but you can’t seem to fill it out perfectly in the other. Never having the peace of mind that you have the right size, yet almost certain you can’t go down another half size

Attachments

• E8C0C329-D288-412D-86B5-589913CB1A03.jpeg
    E8C0C329-D288-412D-86B5-589913CB1A03.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 9206C0B1-347B-49C7-8B5C-9A0BA254ADC4.jpeg
    9206C0B1-347B-49C7-8B5C-9A0BA254ADC4.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 84

basu13

Reaction score
This is super helpful! Could you share with me the details of the product you used?

This is a Vibram mini lug half sole built on top of the leather sole. That way I continue to get the comfort and flexibility of the leather sole and also provide for better grip on wet concrete surfaces, which is typically where the leather soles fail to maintain traction.

Any decent cobbler should be able to get this done for you.

whipcord

Reaction score
I can’t be the only one who has this…. Minor inconvenience am I? A shoe fits perfect on 1 foot but you can’t seem to fill it out perfectly in the other. Never having the peace of mind that you have the right size, yet almost certain you can’t go down another half size

Without going into the boring details again (those can be found in my previous posts), I am between sizes. Yes, it's possible. The 11D is a skosh small, the 11 1/2D a skosh big. My solution is a very thin insole to take up the volume in the larger size, because I have never been a fan of tight shoes. After doing a bit of reading, there are tons of ways to make a boot fit which is a bit large. There is almost nothing you can do when they're too small.

PS - Nice boots, by the way. I wish I had heard of Grant Stone before I bought some suede Clark's desert boots. I would have much preferred those boots you're wearing.

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without going into the boring details again (those can be found in my previous posts), I am between sizes. Yes, it's possible. The 11D is a skosh small, the 11 1/2D a skosh big. My solution is a very thin insole to take up the volume in the larger size, because I have never been a fan of tight shoes. After doing a bit of reading, there are tons of ways to make a boot fit which is a bit large. There is almost nothing you can do when they're too small.

PS - Nice boots, by the way. I wish I had heard of Grant Stone before I bought some suede Clark's desert boots. I would have much preferred those boots you're wearing.

I here clarks now makes desert boots Goodyear welted, I would totally be interested in a pair. I am not doing anything in this picture to fill out my right boot like add double socks or a thicker sock (even tho I wear pretty thick socks) so there’s still hope for me I’m sure

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TIA!
Definitely a topy of some sort.
F73BA22D-1501-4127-A30B-023E130A1227.jpeg
910DFE19-0BFC-47AC-A946-2D079743B782.jpeg

Moostyle

Reaction score
Hi guys can I please have a little fitting advice? I have received my Diese and Edward shoes in US11 and while the width seems comfortable (not too big and not too small with mid-weight socks when I squeeze at the widest point of my foot when trying them on in the morning and I know they will expand throughout the day). My heel also seems to fit snugly and supportively with no slip when the laces are tied and I take steps. However they 'seem' long and I have 'around' 1.25-inches of space after my big toe ends. Is this a normal amount of space to have at the end and should I be worried, or if my heel and width feel ok then am I basically good to go even if I have a lot of space at the end?

I am certainly not experienced in boot fitting so may be overreacting to the toe space. :)

I am a UK10 in Crockett and Jones 341 Harlech but don't have them at the moment so cannot compare the length of both shoes.

basu13

Reaction score
Hi guys can I please have a little fitting advice? I have received my Diese and Edward shoes in US11 and while the width seems comfortable (not too big and not too small with mid-weight socks when I squeeze at the widest point of my foot when trying them on in the morning and I know they will expand throughout the day). My heel also seems to fit snugly and supportively with no slip when the laces are tied and I take steps. However they 'seem' long and I have 'around' 1.25-inches of space after my big toe ends. Is this a normal amount of space to have at the end and should I be worried, or if my heel and width feel ok then am I basically good to go even if I have a lot of space at the end?

I am certainly not experienced in boot fitting so may be overreacting to the toe space. :)

I am a UK10 in Crockett and Jones 341 Harlech but don't have them at the moment so cannot compare the length of both shoes.

1-1.5 inches of space is quite normal, and nothing untoward, especially given that your instep and heel for well with proper lacing. Don't compare to a sneaker which are designed to have little or no space in front of your toes. My two cents.

I have the same amount of space in my GS boots and they are the correct fit. Sizing down would likely make the boots too small for me.

Moostyle

Reaction score
1-1.5 inches of space is quite normal, and nothing untoward, especially given that your instep and heel for well with proper lacing. Don't compare to a sneaker which are designed to have little or no space in front of your toes. My two cents.

I have the same amount of space in my GS boots and they are the correct fit. Sizing down would likely make the boots too small for me.
Ok thank you for that, it does give me some comfort. The boots do appear to fit comfortable at the widest point of my foot and the widest point of the shoe so I am likely just worrying about the length. I will add some photos... please excuse the hairy legs but I didn't want jeans getting in the way of the pics. :D

Attachments

• 20220211_055656.jpg
    20220211_055656.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220211_055706.jpg
    20220211_055706.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220211_055729.jpg
    20220211_055729.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220211_062222.jpg
    20220211_062222.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220211_062229.jpg
    20220211_062229.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220211_055520.jpg
    20220211_055520.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 85

basu13

Reaction score
Ok thank you for that, it does give me some comfort. The boots do appear to fit comfortable at the widest point of my foot and the widest point of the shoe so I am likely just worrying about the length. I will add some photos... please excuse the hairy legs but I didn't want jeans getting in the way of the pics. :D

From the looks of it, this is a perfect fit (given where you have indicated your toe to be). So dont worry and enjoy your new boots. The saddle tan diesels looks rad !

Moostyle

Reaction score
From the looks of it, this is a perfect fit (given where you have indicated your toe to be). So dont worry and enjoy your new boots. The saddle tan diesels looks rad !
Thanks man I really appreciate you taking the time to look and make an assessment. The Saddle Tans do indeed look awesome but the leather laces that come with them are pretty horrific... far too thick and long and imo they just don't look cool on the shoe. I will replace them asap. :)

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Of course. I wear 12d and it fits my right foot, but my left foot works in a 11d. Very floppy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads