• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on what the difference between Waxed Tobacco and Earth is?

Also a couple more items have been added to the EEE section (Yay). I may pick up the Brass boot in Black when it's in stock.

Grant Stone (as well as Alden, Allen Edmonds, and other makers) use the same (or similar terms) to describe the same leather and colors:
  • Earth is a color (it's basically black)
  • Tobacco is a color (it's dark brown)
  • Wax(ed) is what they apply to the leather to give it a finish and some water protection.

Examples:
Plain Toe Blucher - Earth is a black "Waxed Commander leather by Charles F. Stead"
Edward Boot Waxed Tobacco is a brown "The Waxy Tobacco leather is C.F. Stead's infamous Waxy Commander"
Diesel Boot Earth is a black "Strong & durable Waxy Commander leather tanned by Charles F. Stead"

As you can tell, @GrantStone (as well as other makers) should at least be consistent with the descriptions on their own website. They have given three similar, but different, descriptions to the same leather.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Edward Boot Waxed Tobacco is a brown "The Waxy Tobacco leather is C.F. Stead's infamous Waxy Commander"

As you can tell, @GrantStone (as well as other makers) should at least be consistent with the descriptions on their own website. They have given three similar, but different, descriptions to the same leather.

Yes I'm sure CF Stead would appreciate everyone refering to their Waxy Commander as "infamous." Hmmm...strange description.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on what the difference between Waxed Tobacco and Earth is?

Also a couple more items have been added to the EEE section (Yay). I may pick up the Brass boot in Black when it's in stock.

The earth is a dark brown with more of an ash base, with little to no red. The tobacco is a warmer color with a reddish-brown base. Since the base of the tobacco color is lighter, the two-tone effect in the creasing will be more noticeable as well.

Earth PTB on left, Edward waxed tobacco on the right.
Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.47.03 AM.png

Grant Stone (as well as Alden, Allen Edmonds, and other makers) use the same (or similar terms) to describe the same leather and colors:
  • Earth is a color (it's basically black)
  • Tobacco is a color (it's dark brown)
  • Wax(ed) is what they apply to the leather to give it a finish and some water protection.

Examples:
Plain Toe Blucher - Earth is a black "Waxed Commander leather by Charles F. Stead"
Diesel Boot Earth is a black "Strong & durable Waxy Commander leather tanned by Charles F. Stead"

Yes I'm sure CF Stead would appreciate everyone refering to their Waxy Commander as "infamous." Hmmm...strange description.

Appreciate the constructive criticism :fence:

We do need to improve this. As we add styles, it's one person (me) creating these product pages and writing the descriptions so you think it would be more consistent.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The earth is a dark brown with more of an ash base, with little to no red. The tobacco is a warmer color with a reddish-brown base. Since the base of the tobacco color is lighter, the two-tone effect in the creasing will be more noticeable as well.

Earth PTB on left, Edward waxed tobacco on the right.
View attachment 1674352

We do need to improve this. As we add styles, it's one person (me) creating these product pages and writing the descriptions so you think it would be more consistent.

It’s easy to lose track of the fact that you guys are a small company and, I’m sure, multitasking on all aspects of your business. This is really an insignificant “issue” in the grand scheme of things, especially given the level of service that you offer.

Even big companies, presumably with staffed copy editors, have these sorts of inconsistencies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

DM me if you want some help with copy editing especially with "current" product pages. I helped a YouTube cobbler with his updated/new website on the exact same thing (consistency) so I have been down this road before. And I am married to a High School English teacher so I get scolded all the time when I do not use correct grammar and punctuation. :)

Taprisharika

Reaction score
Has anybody ever bought Grant Stones that were such bad matching pairs leather-wise? I have looked through the whole gallery here and also all Grant Stone posted photos and tagged photos on Instagram and I think I just got really really unlucky. It is not the creasing that bugs me (cmxl is going to crease), it is more that fact that these 2 boots look drastically different, as if the vamp leather was cut from completely different hides. I do love Grant Stone, just wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
IMG_5022 (1).jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anybody ever bought Grant Stones that were such bad matching pairs leather-wise? I have looked through the whole gallery here and also all Grant Stone posted photos and tagged photos on Instagram and I think I just got really really unlucky. It is not the creasing that bugs me (cmxl is going to crease), it is more that fact that these 2 boots look drastically different, as if the vamp leather was cut from completely different hides. I do love Grant Stone, just wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
View attachment 1674408
CXL does this sometimes. I have a couple pair of CXL boots, 1 GS and 1 from another company that look very similar to yours. One boot loose grain/creasing other boot not. Wear them in good health and enjoy a great pair of boots!

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
View attachment 1674408
This level of difference happens to me all the time -- my smaller foot leads to more creasing/wrinkling, my bigger foot usually keeps the right shoe/boot looking brand new. Maybe the same thing is happening to you.

Taprisharika

Reaction score
This level of difference happens to me all the time -- my smaller foot leads to more creasing/wrinkling, my bigger foot usually keeps the right shoe/boot looking brand new. Maybe the same thing is happening to you.
I have wondered if that could be the case but this is the first boot this has happened on.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have wondered if that could be the case but this is the first boot this has happened on.

Nah, as @audog described it's the nature of CXL sometimes. There's nothing wrong with your boots per se. The leather on both is considered normal. Having said that, this is the reason why I very seldom purchase CXL myself. CXL with exceptionally tight creasing patterns I really like a lot but it's difficult to know what you are going to get until after the first several steps when the creasing forms.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never know what you're going to get with CXL until it's too late to return. That said it's still a wonderful leather.

Trying out some Grant Stone boots in a different size soon. Despite my 9.5D brannock size I've realized that 9D is too tight for my toes. Wyatt suggested trying 8EEE. Will be interesting to see how that goes! Perhaps 9.5D or 9E would also work.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, as @audog described it's the nature of CXL sometimes. There's nothing wrong with your boots per se. The leather on both is considered normal. Having said that, this is the reason why I very seldom purchase CXL myself. CXL with exceptionally tight creasing patterns I really like a lot but it's difficult to know what you are going to get until after the first several steps when the creasing forms.
Yes, CXL can be weird at times, but it is a great leather, particularly for boots.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Bad luck with an odd flaw on my first pair of GS loafers (not purchased as factory seconds). The outer sidewall on the shoe that has the green line is 5 mm shorter than the outer sidewall on the other shoe (measured at the green line). I think it's noticeable in the pic below, but probably a little moreso in real life. But looking at the pic below, you can see how the band of leather along the top edge of the problem shoe pitches downward more. That 5mm difference makes the sidewall about 11% shorter than the shoe's mate...so noticeable to the naked eye.

I am very laid back about most little craftsmanship flaws on GYW shoes, but I quickly noticed this during my initial inspection and really don't want a pair of shoes that's asymmetrical. So, I'm exchanging them for same make/model/size. Really love everything else tho, very attractive and nice fitting loafers, so I'm looking forward to getting the replacement pair.

gsloafer.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads