• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rainy morning over here. Just got into work.

These are the GG thin brown flat laces which are basically the stock GS laces but slightly shorter.

FB4D719F-9C99-475A-83D4-46C80A3A587D.jpeg

Drzdave58

Reaction score
Warning, huge multiquote ahead.
I always love your posts but I’ve gotta say those laces are not doing it for me. They look olive green to my eye. Something should be a little closer to the welt color, no?

+1 on all counts. I experience the excessive toe wear at first but maybe it will peter out over time. The outsoles themself are remarkably heavy duty, and their initial stiffness is probably the culprit here. I have to say they get more comfortable with every wear. It’s cliché, but absolutely true in this case.

I, too, plan to resole my boots with dainite or perhaps Vibram mini-tread when the time comes. I may put a tan sole protector on my wingtips.

And my next purchase from GS, unless a limited release temps me more, will be a Dune belt. That and the suede Diesel!

Yes, commando!

Awesome to hear your journey! Depending on when you made your first purchase, the difference here could have to do with them changing over to an all-leather heel counter some time back where they were using a sort of plastic before. The leather molds to the foot better and is less stiff! Maybe the first pair you got had the plastic counter. I found this info originally on Heddel’s cutaway review of Grant Stone (totally awesome), then confirmed it on the GS website’s page about shoe construction.

As an aside, I’m a little surprised you go a while size down. I go down 3/4 of a size on my right, and 1/2 a size on my left, and it’s as snug as I like in the toes. But I do remember you saying that you had a highly unusual foot shape.

Allow us to welcome you to the fold! Just starting out, I would maybe go with a Crimson Diesel boot and a Black Ottawa, but the choice is yours!
Thank you...the crimson diesel boot is actually at the top of my list...either that or the crimson captoe...tough decision...I will be pulling the trigger soon....should I order a 1/2 size down?....my fryes and Thursday boots all fit good that way...thx

Drzdave58

Reaction score
The black Ottawa is sweet too....don’t know how I’m going to be able to order just one pair...thx for feeding my addiction guys...;)

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to flat laces on the tan cap toes! Yes, they're a little long but that's good for wrapping around the ankle. I've been adding a bit of a burnish to the toes with brown and black polish and conditioning them with Saphir Reno. Didn't come out the most even but it will get better with more layers.

This is my second day wearing them besides clomping around the office on carpet, and sadly they are starting to feel a little roomy so I am second-guessing my decision to take my usual dress shoe size of 10.5 D. I'm between 10.5-11 D on the Brannock device for reference. On the other hand, my 10 D Diesel boots are now exceedingly comfortable and the 10 D longwings are loosening up in the toes also. I think the main issue with the larger size is that it's loose on my low volume heel and ankle, even wearing thick hiking socks. The length is great but I maybe just need a narrow width. I don't have chicken legs but the girth is in my calf and thighs.

Because of sizing issues I'd be willing to pass these along to a SF member for $200 plus shipping to make room for a new GS pair.

IMG_6807.jpg
You can see how the laces close all the way around the ankle. Thin socks would be a no-go.
IMG_6808.jpg
IMG_6806.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you...the crimson diesel boot is actually at the top of my list...either that or the crimson captoe...tough decision...I will be pulling the trigger soon....should I order a 1/2 size down?....my fryes and Thursday boots all fit good that way...thx
Probably take the same size as Thursday Boot, though don't take my word on it! My Thursdays are actually roomier than my Grant Stone's in the same size.

The black Ottawa is sweet too....don’t know how I’m going to be able to order just one pair...thx for feeding my addiction guys...;)
Hey it really just depends on what will work for your wardrobe and not cause over-duplication in your shoe collection.

BrandonF

Reaction score
I was gonna wait til Friday, but went ahead and pulled the trigger on Crimson LWBs. I have so much self control lol.

Self control has no place here!
Back to flat laces on the tan cap toes! Yes, they're a little long but that's good for wrapping around the ankle. I've been adding a bit of a burnish to the toes with brown and black polish and conditioning them with Saphir Reno. Didn't come out the most even but it will get better with more layers.

This is my second day wearing them besides clomping around the office on carpet, and sadly they are starting to feel a little roomy so I am second-guessing my decision to take my usual dress shoe size of 10.5 D. I'm between 10.5-11 D on the Brannock device for reference. On the other hand, my 10 D Diesel boots are now exceedingly comfortable and the 10 D longwings are loosening up in the toes also. I think the main issue with the larger size is that it's loose on my low volume heel and ankle, even wearing thick hiking socks. The length is great but I maybe just need a narrow width. I don't have chicken legs but the girth is in my calf and thighs.

Because of sizing issues I'd be willing to pass these along to a SF member for $200 plus shipping to make room for a new GS pair.

View attachment 1345177
You can see how the laces close all the way around the ankle. Thin socks would be a no-go.
View attachment 1345178
View attachment 1345176

Have you tried a thin insole or tongue pads?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1/2 size down from Brannock size seems to work for most people. Crimson is a great color. I'm sure you'll be very happy with either style. Cap toe is my personal favorite.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self control has no place here!

Have you tried a thin insole or tongue pads?

Yes, actually the thin insole works great for the foot volume but does little to help the ankle volume. I have found Grant Stone boots to run pretty big around the ankle for me (full closure at the speed hooks).

BTW did you guys miss that GS is putting out a pebble grain longwing next week... that's awesome!!

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1345177
View attachment 1345178
View attachment 1345176
I think I just have skinny ankles. All of my boots are like that.

This picture is with Darn Tough micro crew cushion. If we used their full cushion boot socks that would be one solution, but I really don’t want to wear those every day.

47FBD68C-4EDA-4B34-A0B2-942E55F58D78.jpeg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I just have skinny ankles. All of my boots are like that.

This picture is with Darn Tough micro crew cushion. If we used their full cushion boot socks that would be one solution, but I really don’t want to wear those every day.

View attachment 1345186

Good pic for reference, thanks. Seems like your gap is even less than mine over most of the tongue. And the creasing is in a similar spot too. I'm wearing the Darn Tough hiking socks with mid-cushion also - I consider them to be "thick" though I know there is thicker. I've got some Woolrich socks in a drawer I might just try.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good pic for reference, thanks. Seems like your gap is even less than mine over most of the tongue. And the creasing is in a similar spot too. I'm wearing the Darn Tough hiking socks with mid-cushion also - I consider them to be "thick" though I know there is thicker. I've got some Woolrich socks in a drawer I might just try.
The reason the 'full cushion' boot socks would fill it out more is because the whole sock except for a small area at the top is cushioned where as the 'cushion' micro crew are just the bottom and heel. This means it'll add a bit more volume to the instep and shaft. The downside is their boot socks also go up much higher. Around crew length or slightly above.

I have one pair that I bought only to use with duck boots during a snow storm. Could snap a picture after work. Very likely the boots will look more aesthetically pleasing with the full cushion socks. My main concern is that it could be too warm wearing them outside of winter. That and I really don't want to buy 6 more pairs of $25 socks.

It’s probably only worth it if it really bothers you, and you really care about how it looks to the few people that might notice when you’re sitting. No one will notice when standing unless you cuff up your pants super high.

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason the 'full cushion' boot socks would fill it out more is because the whole sock except for a small area at the top is cushioned where as the 'cushion' micro crew are just the bottom and heel. This means it'll add a bit more volume to the instep and shaft. The downside is their boot socks also go up much higher. Around crew length or slightly above.

I have one pair that I bought only to use with duck boots during a snow storm. Could snap a picture after work. Very likely the boots will look more aesthetically pleasing with the full cushion socks. My main concern is that it could be too warm wearing them outside of winter. That and I really don't want to buy 6 more pairs of $25 socks.

You're talking about these, right? Yes they're super expensive but I'm loving my Darn Tough's so far. Soft, comfortable, warm, and they fit well. I bought six different ones a few weeks back and I think there's one of the full cushion socks in there. They can be found for cheaper on eBay and other outlets too.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're talking about these, right? Yes they're super expensive but I'm loving my Darn Tough's so far. Soft, comfortable, warm, and they fit well. I bought six different ones a few weeks back and I think there's on of the full cushion in there. They can be found for cheaper on eBay and other outlets too.
Those are the ones. I have 7 pairs of the micro crew cushion and 8 or 9 of the crew light. 1 pair of those boot full cushion. Definitely worth the money. I agree.

Will get back to you in about 7 hours with a comparison on how these boots look with cushion vs full cushion. It is possible they won’t make as much of a difference as I am thinking they might.

Last edited:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With thicker Woolrich socks, these do feel better on-foot. In fact, I’d call it a perfect fit! The lace gap difference isn’t that noticeable but the feel is better.

Traditionally I have sized my shoes and boots to be worn with dress socks or casual socks, not heavy duty socks. But maybe I need to re-think that strategy especially with my low-volume foot.
5CAF5136-1018-47F7-9097-6FE9714B277C.jpeg
(flannel-lined chinos, NOT pajamas!)

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With thicker Woolrich socks, these do feel better on-foot. In fact, I’d call it a perfect fit! The lace gap difference isn’t that noticeable but the feel is better.

Traditionally I have sized my shoes and boots to be worn with dress socks or casual socks, not heavy duty socks. But maybe I need to re-think that strategy especially with my low-volume foot.
View attachment 1345251
(flannel-lined chinos, NOT pajamas!)
Looking better for sure. Glad they feel better too. The way the quarters taper up the shaft seems better compared to the other picture. Maybe after work it'll be time to invest in the boot socks. Sad day for my wallet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads