• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduation

Angel Oh

Reaction score
My graduation is coming. I don't have a clue what to wear. My gown is black with a navy/dark blue hood forming a V-shape in front. I thought of pastel orange, and a navy blue tie, khaki/brown pants, black shoes and black belt. Can you suggest a dress set? Please help me. :(

ctkim

Reaction score
Your gown is going to be covering you the whole time so I don't think there's much to worry about what you are wearing underneath. With that said, dark grey and navy is always a good choice for pants rather than khakis.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt and tie will show, and the full length shots will show your pants and shoes, so it does matter.

White shirt. It's a nice neutral element with all the other regalia elements that will be competing for attention, absolutely classic, and the contrast will stand up very nicely to a black robe. An orange shirt would be a mistake, and you'll grimace when looking at those photos three decades on. Don't. Tie would be whatever color you want, but I would recommend something in school colors. Shoes should be black since the robe is, but khaki is about the worst possible color to wear with black, so don't wear khaki pants. Go with a medium gray or olive.

johnvw

Reaction score

Shirt and tie will show, and the full length shots will show your pants and shoes, so it does matter.

White shirt. It's a nice neutral element with all the other regalia elements that will be competing for attention, absolutely classic, and the contrast will stand up very nicely to a black robe. An orange shirt would be a mistake, and you'll grimace when looking at those photos three decades on. Don't. Tie would be whatever color you want, but I would recommend something in school colors. Shoes should be black since the robe is, but khaki is about the worst possible color to wear with black, so don't wear khaki pants. Go with a medium gray or olive.

+1. Dark grey and navy are also good possibilities for pants.

Welcome to SF, and congratulations on graduation!

Angel Oh

Reaction score
Hey! Thank you! You know what, when I had my graduation picture, I wear the ones that you suggested. White dress shirt and dark red tie (going maroon, but not that dark). About my suggestion on orange dress shirt and stuff, I would have to buy it all! You really helped me a lot since I already have those you suggested. What's left to buy is the dark blue pants. Question is, can I pair it with black shoes? ;)

Angel Oh

Reaction score
I think I'll consider your reply with the blue one. Thank you for greeting me in advance and welcoming me. :)

johnvw

Reaction score

I think I'll consider your reply with the blue one. Thank you for greeting me in advance and welcoming me. :)

:fistbump: To answer your question, either dark grey or navy pants could be paired well with black shoes. Lace-up, plain or captoe style, would be considered dressier and more appropriate for the occasion than other style shoes.

All the best after graduation!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey! Thank you! You know what, when I had my graduation picture, I wear the ones that you suggested. White dress shirt and dark red tie (going maroon, but not that dark).  About my suggestion on orange dress shirt and stuff, I would have to buy it all! You really helped me a lot since I already have those you suggested. What's left to buy is the dark blue pants. Question is, can I pair it with black shoes? ;)

Black shoes go perfectly fine with navy pants. The only thing that is giving me a little bit of pause is that I think a black gown would look better with grey pants than navy (of course, you have navy in your hood anyways, so maybe this is moot).

Whatever you wear, if you're taking it seriously and open to learn, you'll look better than most of your classmates. Welcome, and congrats on your upcoming graduation.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes go perfectly fine with navy pants. The only thing that is giving me a little bit of pause is that I think a black gown would look better with grey pants than navy (of course, you have navy in your hood anyways, so maybe this is moot).

Whatever you wear, if you're taking it seriously and open to learn, you'll look better than most of your classmates. Welcome, and congrats on your upcoming graduation.
I agree that mid-gray would look much better than charcoal or navy pant, due to the added contrast between pants and gown.

johnvw

Reaction score

I agree that mid-gray would look much better than charcoal or navy pant, due to the added contrast between pants and gown.

The aesthetic aspect of contrast between pants and gown is not as significant a factor in the case of a graduation as clothing appropriate for the solemnity of the occasion. While pants in the mid-grey range would be better than brown/khaki, dark grey or navy would be more suitable for the setting (and, in fact, are prescribed by some schools).

johnvw

Reaction score

That sounds like a dreadful outfit, but you'll have a gown on in most of your photos, so you may be able to get away without being photographed in that ensemble.

Which outfit sounds dreadful, and why?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The aesthetic aspect of contrast between pants and gown is not as significant a factor in the case of a graduation as clothing appropriate for the solemnity of the occasion. While pants in the mid-grey range would be better than brown/khaki, dark grey or navy would be more suitable for the setting (and, in fact, are prescribed by some schools).

That would be between OP and the school. If the school prescribed a uniform or basic dress standards, than of course OP should respect them. Unless the school prescribes certain standards, then there should not be an issue. If OP has no idea what to wear, then it seems logical that the school has not as of yet suggested any specific color of trouser. I've never been to a graduation where a certain color of trousers were required.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a medium grey trouser. Nobody is talking about some radical departure from appropriate norms. We're talking about medium grey, which is a staple suit color worn to some of the most conservative offices in the country. And there are also all light to medium grey morning suits (daytime formalwear). The idea that medium grey would be inappropriate, absent a specific directive by the school, is nonsense.

johnvw

Reaction score

That would be between OP and the school. If the school prescribed a uniform or basic dress standards, than of course OP should respect them. Unless the school prescribes certain standards, then there should not be an issue. If OP has no idea what to wear, then it seems logical that the school has not as of yet suggested any specific color of trouser. I've never been to a graduation where a certain color of trousers were required.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a medium grey trouser. Nobody is talking about some radical departure from appropriate norms. We're talking about medium grey, which is a staple suit color worn to some of the most conservative offices in the country. And there are also all light to medium grey morning suits (daytime formalwear). The idea that medium grey would be inappropriate, absent a specific directive by the school, is nonsense.

OP, if you have not yet done so, determine whether your school has a required or recommended dress code for graduation. If not, you are free to wear what you choose, but, in fact, dark trousers, such as dark grey or navy, would be more appropriate than other colors. The "Academic Costume Code" webpage of the American Council of Education website states: "Shoes and other articles of visible apparel worn by graduates should be of dark colors that harmonize with the academic costume." Since you mention that your graduation gown is black, black, navy, or dark grey would harmonize with it (rather than contrast with it) better than other colors. The American Council on Education sets the code for academic dress in the US. (As an aside, no one has asked yet where the OP's school is located.) Although not all schools require this standard, the ACE's statement indicates the existence of a long-standing tradition regarding commencement wear.

The comment that this recommendation is more appropriate than another choice is "nonsense" is untrue and offensive.

OP, all the best after graduation!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OP, if you have not yet done so, determine whether your school has a required or recommended dress code for graduation. If not, you are free to wear what you choose, but, in fact, dark trousers, such as dark grey or navy, would be more appropriate than other colors. The "Academic Costume Code" webpage of the American Council of Education website states: "Shoes and other articles of visible apparel worn by graduates should be of dark colors that harmonize with the academic costume." Since you mention that your graduation gown is black, black, navy, or dark grey would harmonize with it (rather than contrast with it) better than other colors. The American Council on Education sets the code for academic dress in the US. (As an aside, no one has asked yet where the OP's school is located.) Although not all schools require this standard, the ACE's statement indicates the existence of a long-standing tradition regarding commencement wear.

The comment that this recommendation is more appropriate than another choice is "nonsense" is untrue and offensive.

OP, all the best after graduation!

Yes, dark grey and navy are slightly more formal, but there's not enough of a difference to suggest that medium grey is not "appropriate for the solemnity of the occasion." Medium grey harmonizes just fine with black and is perfectly appropriate. Suggesting otherwise or implying that there's some dramatic difference between this color and either charcoal or navy is in fact nonsense. I am sorry if saying this offends you but I think that your post goes a bit far in what it suggests. I can promise you that 99% of the population has never heard of the "Academic Costume Code," most students and professors do not follow it and that realistically nobody is going to think that OP is not dressed appropriately if he is wearing medium grey trousers instead of charcoal, unless the school has a specific dress code, and I've already indicated he should follow any specific dress code the school has. If the school does not specify a dress code, there will be plenty of people in khakis with no tie. Medium grey instead of charcoal, the horror, the horror. Give me a break.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads