• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduation Present - $1000 suit, Bespoke or OTR?

Patek14

Reaction score
I agree and echo everyone...Don't buy a suit

Reasons
1. In college, its likely you will change shape. Either get fatter - freshmen 15 or hit the gym and get stronger. College = lots of lifting for most dudes
2. By the time you need a suit for job stuff, the style may be dated or the suit damaged
3. There are much better uses for 1K

Consider these alternatives
1. Save the money. Find a low cost diversified fund and invest
2. Buy a nice watch
3. Buy something you really need for day to day living - fix a broken car, get a computer, whatever etc

Mathew Hall

Reaction score
I'd say, just having graduated college, hold off on the big clothing investments until you know what your doing the summer after your freshman year. If you have a job or an internship somewhere that requires a suit then you can get one as necessary. In the meantime there are so many other things to spend that money on. As other people have said buy a bag or a watch. You will use those every day. Alternatively, just hold onto the money. I had a bunch of unexpected costs my freshman year as I worked to make friends and fit in with a new group of people so it is always good to have a little extra cash available in case you need it (and you never know when the opportunity for hookers and blow will pass your way).

To put it simply I probably wore a suit for a maximum of 40 days during my four years at on campus and that was probably more than most other students. I would hold off on the specialty suit until I could enjoy it more frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads