• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graduating, no job, what the hell do I do now?

Beta

Reaction score
If my current career doesn't pan out or we decide to sell our business, im seriously considering physical therapy assistant. 2 yr degree that starts at 60+, and hiring bigtime. I also have a B.S. in economics.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
One was in financial advising, and I honestly would never want to do that as a career. I'm leaving the other one as an absolute last resort because it sucked just as badly, but at least I got paid. I don't want to make it sound like I'm whining about these internships, but they truly sucked and gave me little to no experience/knowledge.

Doesn't matter. Get any job you can, first jobs after graduating, if you aren't getting recruited are going to suck more than not. If you are waiting for your ideal job, you'll be at home, miserable and sending out useless emails to Monster.com everyday with no replies.

Just get a few years of solid employment and then make that next leap. Like I said, even try to get into sales just so you have that sales experience, which is pretty invaluable looking back.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Doesn't matter. Get any job you can, first jobs after graduating, if you aren't getting recruited are going to suck more than not. If you are waiting for your ideal job, you'll be at home, miserable and sending out useless emails to Monster.com everyday with no replies.

Just get a few years of solid employment and then make that next leap. Like I said, even try to get into sales just so you have that sales experience, which is pretty invaluable looking back.

If not graduate or professional school, then this is good advice.

pokey07

Reaction score
Yes that is good advice, thank you.

I'm still currently trying to figure out what I actually enjoy. If I could get a career playing video games, testing gadgets, making gadgets, etc. that would be ideal, lol.

mistewacko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Unless you're graduating from an Ivy League school, you will never get anywhere.

On a serious note: grad. school in this environment is a waste of money. Unless you want to get an econ PhD (which means funding), don't get a graduate degree, especially not a JD or MBA.

Don't go to grad school for the reasons below that pertain to you econ degree: (from Brazen Careerist)

• Grad school pointlessly delays adulthood.
  • PhD programs are pyramid schemes
  • Business school is not going to help 90% of the people who go.
  • Going to grad school is like going into the military.
  • Most jobs are better than they seem: You can learn from any job.
  • Graduate school forces you to overinvest: It's too high risk. - very true, do a cost benefit analysis and factor in student loans and expected pay raises with a grad degree vs without

ms244

Reaction score
mistewacko;1898879 said:
Don't go to grad school for the reasons below that pertain to you econ degree: (from Brazen Careerist)

[*]Grad school pointlessly delays adulthood.

-Its not necessarily pointless

[*]PhD programs are pyramid schemes

bigstar[1].gif

[*]Business school is not going to help 90% of the people who go.

100% on that

[*]Going to grad school is like going into the military.

No way, in the military you get paid, people respect you, you can get into shape, you learn useful things and get to wear camo every day

[*]Most jobs are better than they seem: You can learn from any job.

Preach it....

[*]Graduate school forces you to overinvest: It's too high risk. - very true, do a cost benefit analysis and factor in student loans and expected pay raises with a grad degree vs without

While the act of going to grad school maybe high risk, academia is anything but. Its like a glacier trying to get anything done.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your degree doesn't qualify you for any particular job, and new grads in most fields are dead weight anyway. Becoming a military officer can buy you some time and give you education and leadership experience in a different area of expertise. If you don't want to do that then find a job in sales, not real estate or cars. That will lead to other opportunities. Bottom line: just get to work and that work will lead to something.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, now's the time to just travel and enjoy life. I graduated in December 2007 with a B.Comm (finance). Worked two ****** jobs since then (good experience but ****** jobs overall) and I recently left my job and after a month of finding NOTHING, I said screw it, I'm going to pack my bags and just take off. I got a one-way ticket and I'm not looking back. It takes a lot of balls to remove yourself from the rat race like that, but the end result is SO worth it.

Best of luck!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
why don't you just get a job that pays the bills and chill out for a bit? keep looking for something that pays well/is in a field you're interested in, but in the mean time work in a clothing store or a restaurant or something

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to read through thte entire thread, so I'll just throw in my two cents.

Grad school is going to be tough these days. Luckily, I'm getting out with my Master's. Alot of programs on my campus are having their tuition reimbursement reduced, while the tuition is simultaneously rising. Some departments (mine included) aren't funding any grad students next year. Unless you can find outside funding, stay away from grad school. It will only prolong the inevitable and drive you into debt.

My advice if you don't find work on your own, is to look up a good temp agency. After undergrad, I had a tough time finding work. After a few months of fruitless searching on monster.com, I took my gf's advice and found a temp agency in the newspaper. They found me a job within a few days and it was great. Granted I was working as an administrative assistant, but it was in the admissions department at an art college. Very relaxed and fun atmosphere. Had I not been accepted to grad school, they would have made me full time. While I know that not everyone might have such a pleasant experience, I'm sure that a temp agency will at least find you work while you search for something permanent.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I'm too lazy to read through thte entire thread, so I'll just throw in my two cents.

Grad school is going to be tough these days. Luckily, I'm getting out with my Master's. Alot of programs on my campus are having their tuition reimbursement reduced, while the tuition is simultaneously rising. Some departments (mine included) aren't funding any grad students next year. Unless you can find outside funding, stay away from grad school. It will only prolong the inevitable and drive you into debt.

My advice if you don't find work on your own, is to look up a good temp agency. After undergrad, I had a tough time finding work. After a few months of fruitless searching on monster.com, I took my gf's advice and found a temp agency in the newspaper. They found me a job within a few days and it was great. Granted I was working as an administrative assistant, but it was in the admissions department at an art college. Very relaxed and fun atmosphere. Had I not been accepted to grad school, they would have made me full time. While I know that not everyone might have such a pleasant experience, I'm sure that a temp agency will at least find you work while you search for something permanent.

I would say this is true for all except school of medicine and divinity, both of which prep you into professional work as soon as you graduate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to work, the federal government is pretty much the only game in town right now. Work for a few years, then decide if grad school is right for you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I throw my vote in with the military

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads