• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ Business Casual Article

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Frank The J.Crew Dork has become a parody of himself.
He may not know where he's going, but he's always on the move.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Why is exclusion on the grounds of body shape bad? Why is exclusion on the grounds of skin color bad?

So they should make every size and shape that anyone could ever need whether it matched their aesthetic vision or not? Thats not how things work.

Mal

Reaction score
I have gained a lot of knowledge about what looks good over the years from GQ. I worked at a gas station during my undergrad, so I often read it while at work. It started my journey towards better fitting, and hopefully towards better styled clothing.

There are people who are thin, and new enough to gain value from GQ. The high price tag means that 99.9% of the population will be unable to afford it at a young age, of course. But to dismiss a magazine because it has a target seems odd.

The styleforum ideal is not tenable for everyone either, and it requires a patience that most men do not possess. While I have certainly gained a lot more in the months of reading style forum than in the years of reading GQ, I would have never been as interested in how I look without it.

I continue to make mistakes, and am glad I do. I enjoy improving myself through clothes despite being unable to drastically improve it financially.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
So they should make every size and shape that anyone could ever need whether it matched their aesthetic vision or not? Thats not how things work.

No. But there's a word for an obsessively narrow and discriminatory vision. It's "fascist."
cool.gif

chrisb0109

Reaction score
No. But there's a word for an obsessively narrow and discriminatory vision. It's "fascist."
cool.gif

Get off the high horse.

Since when has art not been obsessive and narrow? Its personal, individual, and yes, rather discriminatory, as it should be.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
Since when has art not been obsessive and narrow?

I forgot that you guys called it "art."

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mal
I have gained a lot of knowledge about what looks good over the years from GQ. I worked at a gas station during my undergrad, so I often read it while at work. It started my journey towards better fitting, and hopefully towards better styled clothing.

There are people who are thin, and new enough to gain value from GQ. The high price tag means that 99.9% of the population will be unable to afford it at a young age, of course. But to dismiss a magazine because it has a target seems odd.

The styleforum ideal is not tenable for everyone either, and it requires a patience that most men do not possess. While I have certainly gained a lot more in the months of reading style forum than in the years of reading GQ, I would have never been as interested in how I look without it.

I continue to make mistakes, and am glad I do. I enjoy improving myself through clothes despite being unable to drastically improve it financially.

+1 Very nicely put.

yodawg

Reaction score
also some of those products will trickle down to more affordable stores some time or another. i've finally been able to buy those drop crotch pants i've been lusting for since spring 09.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use GQ, or SF for that matter, to create a laundry list of all the stuff I need to buy, frankly because I don't think I'd ever drop $2k on a bespoke suit or more than $100 on a single shirt (plus I can't afford it haha). For those who can afford it, and those who aren't content with with being in the 95th percentile of well-dressed men, but want to be in the 99th, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and we all benefit from their expertise. What I would definitely use SF (and one or two things about GQ) for is to get a great idea of style in general and some specifics in terms of how clothes should fit, and what's acceptable and what isn't. I probably would drop up to $400 on some AEs though, those are some awesome shoes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
cool.gif

Well in fashion it is called "body fascism" and a brand like Dior Homme certainly engaged in it (during Slimane's era). JCrew doesn't, even though their ads will certainly display young, good/interesting looking people wearing a slimmed down version of their offerings, I mean who doesn't do that in the fashion world. Well actually designer brands often don't do the slimming part but stuff like Ralph Lauren or Jcrew does because the cuts aren't very nice on young and slim dudes.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the article took some ideas a bit too far, such as the incredibly slim fits, but overall I think it should help to point men in the right direction for conservative business dress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads