GQ Business Casual Article

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by althanis, Sep 26, 2010.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

Hi guys, I don't think this has been posted before, but GQ recently put up an article about tips for dressing business casual.

I know sometimes GQ is looked upon with disdain here, for not necessarily following all the rules, but I think critiquing bad tips is better than having no tips at all.

The link is here:
    http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...-style#slide=1

Are some of those pants too tight? I personally think it's all well fitted stuff that I'd really like my wardrobe to eventually look like, but you guys have an expert eye.

Finally, when I wear sweaters, where is the bottom supposed to fall? Slide 7 says at your belt line, but I have a couple where it falls below. Should I fold the bottom up under the rest and let it lie at my belt line?

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

3. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Denim shirts, desert boots and orphaned suit jackets. So full of fail.

4. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

What is up with the too-short pants??? GQ seems to love this look.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Most of the article isn't too bad for a guy who actually looks like the first slide (and GQ is right that a majority of men wearing business casual do dress in that drone-like way) but this phrase is the most depressingly banal that I've read for quite some time:

I worry about anyone for whom a corner office is their life goal. /shudder

6. ChicagoMediaMan

ChicagoMediaMan Senior member

Most of the article isn't too bad for a guy who actually looks like the first slide (and GQ is right that a majority of men wearing business casual do dress in that drone-like way) but this phrase is the most depressingly banal that I've read for quite some time:

I worry about anyone for whom a corner office is their life goal. /shudder

Well said.

There are way too many guys who dress exactly like the guy on the first page. Overall, this was typical GQ stuff. Some of the advice was good, and some of it was not good.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the first half of the photos do a good job showing a updated direction for guys. Silly copywriting aside - this is one of the better "look" essays in GQ in a very long time.

I especially like the comparison between photo #1 and #2. It is dead on, IMO.

However, anyone must adapt a look to their own work setting and personality. This is a good direction but you shouldn't take it too literally if you want to develop a personal style.

8. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

lol @ this

do people really spend $278 on dress shoes with rubber soles? and a 'hefty' rubber sole at that. lol...

9. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Most of the article isn't too bad for a guy who actually looks like the first slide (and GQ is right that a majority of men wearing business casual do dress in that drone-like way)

+1 He looks like he dropped 25lbs from slide 1 to slide 2.

10. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

In the second picture, are those flannel gray pants, or is it some other type? I've been looking for a similar pair.

11. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

I think the first half of the photos do a good job showing a updated direction for guys. Silly copywriting aside - this is one of the better "look" essays in GQ in a very long time.

I especially like the comparison between photo #1 and #2. It is dead on, IMO.

However, anyone must adapt a look to their own work setting and personality. This is a good direction but you shouldn't take it too literally if you want to develop a personal style.

+1

I still laugh at the strange result of their product placement; wearing a $300 Hilfiger blazer with a $450 Borelli shirt? That's just idiotic.

While some of their recommendations are ill-advised (the Coach shoes, wearing a grey suit jacket with a denim shirt), some are quite good. The Hamilton Jazzmaster suggestion? CJ boots? Sounds good to me.

Despite how silly some of the J. Crew looks were, I did appreciate that he was wearing longwings in most of the pics.

12. alexei

alexei Senior member

That first picture is a bit ridiculous. True, far too many people wear clothes that are too large for them and billow excess fabric, but few people would wear that and not know those articles are far too large on them.

13. word

word Senior member

I'm glad they took a stab at cell phone holsters.

14. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Those "after" photos look shooped to all hell.

15. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Those "after" photos look shooped to all hell.

[​IMG]

Featured in all of GQs shoots