• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got called "dapper"

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I forgot to mention that almost every time I get the "dapper" compliment it's coming from a lady. Always a nice conversation starter
fing02[1].gif

exactly the same with me. Women like that word. Its always meant as a compliment.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
How about 'douchebag'? It may not be complimentary, but it does seem far more appropriate...

you're welcome.

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
to me, dapper strikes me as sort of like "cute", or almost eccentric - maybe tom wolfe is dapper.

For me, that improves the compliment exponentially-- provided I am not actually dressed like Tom Wolfe... So few people dress well, for many it does seem eccentric.

Styk33

Reaction score
I didn't look at the date of the original post and was thinking to myself how I recall a very similar thread a few years ago. Funny how that worked out.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I forgot to mention that almost every time I get the "dapper" compliment it's coming from a lady. Always a nice conversation starter
fing02[1].gif

The first thing my Wife ever said to me was when she sat next to me and started the conversation with "you like a Dandy". At 26 at the time I was quite happy to take that as a compliment from a 19 year old.

Of course she never says anything nice to me anymore.......
musicboohoo[1].gif

The best compliment in terms of dress I ever got though was from an ancient Baroness that said I looked like a young Anthony Eden.

To the OP, You could look at both of these comments in a negative light. Same with the comment about being dapper. I think if you take offence at an older lady calling you dapper your probably actually a bit of a Queen.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sincere compliment is a sincere compliment. Take it and enjoy it. Who cares if it's dapper, dashing, debonair or just a plain old you look nice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
A sincere compliment is a sincere compliment. Take it and enjoy it. Who cares if it's dapper, dashing, debonair or just a plain old you look nice.
Well stated.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's

+1 It means that you are looking better than most guys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads