• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got called "dapper"

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a term for resurrecting your own thread over and over?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Is there a term for resurrecting your own thread over and over?
foo.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I'm a Dapper Dan man.
smile.gif

Picture5397.jpg

I'd put that **** in my hair before hair gel. And I wouldnt put that **** in my hair.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
actually, I got called "dapper" a half dozen times last week, "elegant" a handfull of times and "handsome" a couple of times - I have started wearing a bunch of clothing that is a little less simple than what I have been wearing for the past few years - I am back to some of my older clothing, striped DB suits, 3 piece suits, odd vests, contrast collar shirts and I have added some pocket squares to the mix. since a few of the people who complimented me were hot chicks, and a few were people I respect, I am not unhappy with the results.

I guess I could get used to "dapper"

I don't think you should be trying to get that compliment, you shouldn't be trying to get noticed for wearing nice clothes, since the impressions, though positive on the surface, imply a background presumption that your being prissy or dandyish. DB, 3-piece suits, contrasting collars, and pocketsquares are all absolutely gaudy in my opinion, and belong either to gays (not that there's anything wrong with that, seriously), Southern preachers, or ostentatious foreigners. Defend yourself as you will, claiming how you're sophisticated like British royalty or something, but in the end most men are going to view you as a weirdo and you'll incur more embarrassment than anything else. A real well-dresser, in my opinion, can exude that subtle sense of style within the bounds of a plain white shirt in a pockesquareless single-breasted suit, without having to resort to antiquated or showy clothing like the ones you mentioned.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I'm a Dapper Dan man.
smile.gif
Picture5397.jpg

What is that, propholactic jelley? Moustache wax? some form of creamed snuff? Looks like fun. I want a can of that.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfnewbie
I think it's funny when people complain about getting complimented. Unless she said it in a sarcastic, snotty way then take it as a compliment and realize not everyone knows the perfect terminology to use when someone looks great. What's wrong with it anyways? It's just a term for someone that looks nice and stylish.

Just my $.02

completely agree. it's a compliment. take it and be happy.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I don't think you should be trying to get that compliment, you shouldn't be trying to get noticed for wearing nice clothes, since the impressions, though positive on the surface, imply a background presumption that your being prissy or dandyish. DB, 3-piece suits, contrasting collars, and pocketsquares are all absolutely gaudy in my opinion, and belong either to gays (not that there's anything wrong with that, seriously), Southern preachers, or ostentatious foreigners. Defend yourself as you will, claiming how you're sophisticated like British royalty or something, but in the end most men are going to view you as a weirdo and you'll incur more embarrassment than anything else. A real well-dresser, in my opinion, can exude that subtle sense of style within the bounds of a plain white shirt in a pockesquareless single-breasted suit, without having to resort to antiquated or showy clothing like the ones you mentioned.

yeah, thanks for your imput, **** you very much

guardimp

Reaction score
when you get a compliment, just accept it or ignore it, it doesnt matter what other people think.

glenjay

Reaction score
Of course a well intended complement should be taken as such and appreciated for what it is worth. I think that is what GT did, but was concerned by what image he was portraying that produced the word "Dapper" rather than something like "Dashing", "Elegant", "Sophisticated" or even "Fine".

I believe a well dressed gentleman should dress to leave an impression, but it should be one of subtle elegance and sophistication. If done properly, dressing is an art, and like art (or fine craftsmanship) it is the quality, and understanding, of the small details that make it work. Such as, clothes that are tailored to fit your body shape (not snug), materials that can produce proper drape, colors that complement your complexion, patterns and colors that coordinate with or complement each other, quality shoes with a proper shine, and so on. Everything should be in balance and in proportion. A well put together outfit should be a single thing that produces a mild envy and admiration in others, and looks perfectly natural and comfortable on you.

I believe this goal is why this forum exists, and why we come together to share our observations and opinions on clothing, shoes, and style in general.

But, back to the OP's remarks, I would feel as though I had missed the mark if someone were to refer to me as Dapper. I would prefer silent admiration, or at least no snickering behind my back.

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I was recently told I dress like 19th century British politician, as an insult. Idiotic considering it was in regards to an outfit which featured a Shetland sweater, boat shoes and brown cords.
Last time I wore boat shoes out someone told me I looked like a sea captain. I wasn't even wearing my captain's hat! Slightly more on topic, the word "dapper" can be used with slight condescension. It's one of my favourite compliments to give. I dislike receiving comments either good or bad on my clothing, as either implies that the person believes they have the right to judge.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
What is that, propholactic jelley? Moustache wax? some form of creamed snuff?
Looks like fun. I want a can of that.

AFAIK It's not a real product. It is from the movie 'O Brother Where Art Thou'.

Coburn

Reaction score
I hear that from my family -- ignorant rednecks!

"Coming from a family of hicks"

Originally Posted by Spilotro
Take it as a compliment.

I'll add, though, that the phrase "all dressed up" spins me into an uncharted oblivion of pissed off and annoyed, as it is usually uttered in a derogatory manner. Coming from a family of hicks, I get this for a sport shirt and jeans.

Be thankful!
tongue.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
DB, 3-piece suits, contrasting collars, and pocketsquares are all absolutely gaudy in my opinion, and belong either to gays (not that there's anything wrong with that, seriously), Southern preachers, or ostentatious foreigners.
Y R U awn this site? And foreign to whom? We're a fairly international forum, so we're all foreigners to someone here.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads