• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good wedding Groom's Ascot

mjHession

Reaction score
What and wear can I find a good wedding ascot for me, the groom. I'm thinking a black white check, or maybe glen plaid, but I just cant find one.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, don't wear an ascot with morning wear, wear a necktie! I wore an ascot at my second wedding, and it looked as retro-costumey as all hell. I feel like a doofus whenever I look at those photos, which is rarely, since the marriage didn't last.

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Oh, don't wear an ascot with morning wear, wear a necktie! I wore an ascot at my second wedding, and it looked as retro-costumey as all hell. I feel like a doofus whenever I look at those photos, which is rarely, since the marriage didn't last.

Necktie with wingtip or turndown collar, currently i have a blue shirt with removable stiff wingtip collar.

mjHession

Reaction score
Any comments on this cravat:
il_430xN.88494173.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, it sounds to me as if you in fact want a "costume" wedding, which is fine. I think most of us were under the impression that you wanted to wear classic morning attire.

I suggest you check out some of the Old West sutlers and outfitters that cater to cowboy action shooters, re-enactors and other costume enthusiasts. They offer "puff ties," "silk jacquard ties" and also 3-foot square "wild rags," which could be folded ascot style. All these items are very reasonably priced.

Here are a few sources I found in a cursory search:

www.westernemporium.com
www.theoldwestgallery.com
www.shopwildbills.com
westernoutfitter.com
www.aurorahistoryboutique.com

mjHession

Reaction score
I definitly dont want a "costume wedding" I've looked for something like this
img0053cv2.jpg
darcykt1.jpg
I just can't find anything, I really like the look of the wingtip collar / ascot, but just can't find what I'm looking for so am starting to consider other options.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjHession
Thanks for the source. Thoughts on these two (would be with black morning coat, Gray DB waistcoat, light Blue shirt, detachable wingtip white collar);

1417291.jpg
1417339.jpg

My preference is the paisley.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What and wear can I find a good wedding ascot for me, the groom. I'm thinking a black white check, or maybe glen plaid, but I just cant find one.

Why wear costume?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitly dont want a "costume wedding"

I've looked for something like this
img0053cv2.jpg
darcykt1.jpg

I just can't find anything, I really like the look of the wingtip collar / ascot, but just can't find what I'm looking for so am starting to consider other options.

Sorry, lad, but those pix look very costumey to me. The "ascot" on the left is just about identical to the puff ties I liked you to earlier.

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Sorry, lad, but those pix look very costumey to me. The "ascot" on the left is just about identical to the puff ties I liked you to earlier.

This is my source. Acquired from this post in the thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=141171

If you have another source please pass it along, i certainly do not want to look costumey, i am very much avoiding that, for one by not renting, but actually buying a morning coat made by a reliable source (http://www.pakeman.com). I would love an alternate source as to want is traditional morning formal wear if you can't find something, please at least describe what I should be looking for.

Thanks much.

Edit: also what do you think of these
Thanks for the source. Thoughts on these two (would be with black morning coat, Gray DB waistcoat, light Blue shirt, detachable wingtip white collar);

1417291.jpg
1417339.jpg

Found here

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Reliable company: http://www.bowtiesandmore.com/produc..._105199/?page1

LeonM

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing what the Pakeman, Catto morning coat is like.

Just wear a regular turn down collar and a regular tie. Certainly not one of those 'ruched' jobs.

Get a stiff detachable collar and a tunic shirt if you want to be really smart. Pakeman among others offers those as well.

Leon

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
I'd be interested in seeing what the Pakeman, Catto morning coat is like.

Just wear a regular turn down collar and a regular tie. Certainly not one of those 'ruched' jobs.

Get a stiff detachable collar and a tunic shirt if you want to be really smart. Pakeman among others offers those as well.

Leon

Actually the coat I have is from http://www.clermontdirect.com (this was the only real afforable option for me) The rest (pants shirt waistcoat) is coming from pakeman, didn't specifiy that detail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads