• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good "value" dress shoe?

destroyalldreamers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
A similar thread about cheap dress shoes here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=237816

You're not going to get much praise here for the black suit. There are lots of reasons why your first suit should be dark gray or navy instead (for example, a black can be too formal for some occasions). This has been covered quite a lot on the forum, you can use the search function to see all the many threads on this topic.

Your picture links aren't showing up.

Well, I needed a formalish suit and it'll work for prom and for any funerals/weddings/etc. I already have a blue blazer that I can use for more casual events.

Fixed the picture links.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I have a pair of Mercanti Fiorentini shoes that I got at discounted at like 70 bucks at DSW that have treated me well.

They aren't great, but they're double soled and welted with reasonable leather.

I see those at DSW sometimes but never wanted to take the risk. I'll give em a shot next time I see a worthwhile pair well under 100 bucks

tgt465

Reaction score
Those shoes look awful. Are the pictures bad or does that shoe really have a square grid surface texture? If you got a pair of Rockports instead, at least you could wear them to job interviews or something.

I won't add more about the black suit, you can find all the argument you want using the forum search.

If your budget is really tight, skip Brooks Brothers and go to your local outlet or discount store for the tie. You can probably find something for under $20 instead of $80.

Stylego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
It was only some ugly styles. I don't think you missed anything groundbreaking.

There were only five or so in my size. I was tempted by a pair of Soho's, but I had a sneaking suspicion that there was something a little out of whack with them proportionally.

bwp

Reaction score
Definitely get some AEs off of ebay, the Clifton model is a good basic cap toe. You can also try checking Nordstrom Rack or if you have a Last Chance in your area you can pick them up for $40. I would also get a brown pair before black, much more versatile and look great with jeans.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies but the fact is there aren't any 'good value' shoes in the $100 range (used shoes aside, which is another topic altogether). Consider spending a bit more and saving in the long run (unless you have freakish feets).

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwp
Definitely get some AEs off of ebay, the Clifton model is a good basic cap toe. You can also try checking Nordstrom Rack or if you have a Last Chance in your area you can pick them up for $40. I would also get a brown pair before black, much more versatile and look great with jeans.

Only one is in Phoenix.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the chances you find the cliftons or other attractive AEs for $40 in a size that is even remotely reasonable is nearly zero.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
http://www.zappos.com/florsheim-edgar-black-leather THIS is the answer. I'm a teenager and I have this pair. There is nothing outstanding about it but this looks a lot better than a lot of junk you will find out there.
Hey, not bad. I'd use that as a rainy-day shoe, even. They'd probably last long enough for the OP to start collecting paychecks and get better shoes, anyway. I think you win the thread.

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't agree at all.

A pair of cole haans is not going to look unwearable after 6 months. Its not gonna start deteriorating after 1 month.

Thats just BS. Sure it won't last as long as a welted AE, but to imply that all corrected grain, non-welted shoes are going to fall apart in 6 months is just bs.

I own and wear several pairs of AE and Cole Haan shoes. While the 6 month "fall apart" is a stretch, they will deteriorate quickly. Now, I don't mean they'll fall apart and break but the correct grain plasticy coated crappy leather will scuff and look awful very quickly. They'll also fold and wrinkle a lot worse.

I've had pairs of CH shoes with CG leather i've worn for about 1.5 years. I'd say after 1 to 1.2 years, the sole edges started to crack which probably should have been my trigger to toss 'em.

My AEs with non-CG leather still look great, don't scuff up nearly as bad and are easier to polish out scuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics