• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good "value" dress shoe?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of AE's. I'd double your budget and do it right.

thexfactor

Reaction score
if i get a used pair do I just use "liquid stretch" and a blowdryer to get the crease marks out?

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thexfactor
if i get a used pair do I just use "liquid stretch" and a blowdryer to get the crease marks out?

Creasing is normal and inevitable to some degree in leather shoes. I don't know how you intend to use the blowdrier, but I'm pretty certain what you're trying to do won't work.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I wouldn't say hideous, but definitely not sleek. Would go well with that workwear look if that's your thing.
Yeah, I'd say hideous. For an AE newbie, stick to: Park Avenue, in black or dark brown Fifth Avenue, in black, dark brown, or walnut Strand, in walnut, but only after you have one or more of the above. Seriously. Stick to these three styles, probably in that order, and all will be good. They are also among the most common, and so are easier to find used or as seconds. Your first "nice" shoe should probably be black. It's the safest color, and goes with everything. Not adventurous, but it's just a starting point.

LanceW

Reaction score
Park Avenue in black
Fifth avenue in dark brown
Strand in walnut

I don't recommend the Fifth Avenue in walnut. I was never happy with it, being too light IMO for the a perforated captoe.

andrew96

Reaction score
If you check out one of the J & M outlets you might be able find good shoes for $50-$100. Most of the outlet stuff is near full price, but they'll often have one line of shoes stacked up in the front at an insane price. Call around and ask if they've got any under $75 and if so, order them. I got a pair of nice black J & M classic oxfords for $50, and even better they had a buy three get one free sale, so some friends of mine and I bought 3 and got the extra. $150 for 4 pairs of nice shoes, not bad eh? They've lasted 3 years of being worn every other day. I don't know anything about shoe construction, but my father does and he says they're quite high quality.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
J & M outlets I don't know anything about shoe construction, but my father does and he says they're quite high quality.

I bet he knows less than he thinks he does. J&Ms made in the last few years are not what I would call "quite high quality"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads