Good "value" dress shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thexfactor, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

It's like asking, what is a good "value" car for $1000. The answer is..."a used one."

2. randomkid123

randomkid123 Member

Teenager here, never bought dress shoes.
    Looking for black shoes to go with black or gray pants and any shirt/tie combo.
    $100 max

Suggestions on brands, models, or where to go look B&M?

Sorry if this is a dumb thread [​IMG]

3. Valproate

Valproate Senior member

If you buy a pair of Cole haan's, johnston and murphy's, aldo's, or anything that is corrected-grain leather, it will look nice for a month, then deteriorate rapidly for the next 2 months, and become completely unwearable in 6 months. I know from personal experience.

Nice AE's are the most durable, most cost-effective component in my entire wardrobe. Good shoes, unlike decent (say, Brooks Brothers' clothing), can be inexpensively repaired and recrafted several times during their lifetime.

4. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I have a pair of Mercanti Fiorentini shoes that I got at discounted at like 70 bucks at DSW that have treated me well.

They aren't great, but they're double soled and welted with reasonable leather.

5. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I agree with Valproate above. The arc he describes is one that I've bee through many times over the past few years. It's what finally lead me to purchasing my first pair of AEs. I don't plan on going back to purchasing cheap shoes.

If you can make the stretch, a pair of AEs (or two pairs really, say a Black Park Ave and a Brown Fifth Ave) you be taken care of for a long, long time.

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I agree with Valproate above. The arc he describes is one that I've bee through many times over the past few years. It's what finally lead me to purchasing my first pair of AEs. I don't plan on going back to purchasing cheap shoes.

If you can make the stretch, a pair of AEs (or two pairs really, say a Black Park Ave and a Brown Fifth Ave) you be taken care of for a long, long time.

I don't agree at all.

A pair of cole haans is not going to look unwearable after 6 months. Its not gonna start deteriorating after 1 month.

Thats just BS. Sure it won't last as long as a welted AE, but to imply that all corrected grain, non-welted shoes are going to fall apart in 6 months is just bs.

7. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Fine, fine...there's some hyperbole involved. I work in an office and I'd been getting about a year out of the typical DSW dress shoe. That's how I rationalized the purchase of my AEs. Three or four years out of a pair of AEs equals about the same money as 4 pairs of cheap shoes.

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

yes the trouble is that hyperbole turns into fact when its repeated over and over.

these cheap shoes dont last terribly long...but with car to garage to carpeted office...they will be fine for a while

9. phelan77

phelan77 Member

The recent 2 shoe for $200 promotion by shoebank allen edmonds was a good value deal

10. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Under $100 is really hard. I cannot help you with new shoes.

But used shoes can be found for that price all the time on the B&S or ebay if you trust those people.

11. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

"yes the trouble is that hyperbole turns into fact when its repeated over and over."

Right, for me, about a year of regular use. And I'm not that hard on shoes, nor that big. What's more, which I do think is accurate, they don't look as nice for nearly as long.

12. Cahrin

Cahrin Senior member

Get some AEs from eBay. Easy for sub $100.

+1

If you're not in a huge rush you can get a pair of AEs for under $100 easily, even under $50 if you're lucky.

13. destroyalldreamers

destroyalldreamers New Member

Okay, so I have prom(lol) next Saturday. Instead of wearing some awful fitting rented tux, I opted to buy my first suit. I got one in black from Macy's for around $250~ and its heading to my tailor first thing Monday to make it fit perfect. Now I need to get some appropriate shoes for the event. I understand my budget is absolutely awful for oxfords but I just need them to last for around 6 months. I checked Zara's and they have an okay blucher for $99 which should last a few months with light use. HERE it is. Let me know if you guys have any other recommendations. I can maybe go over my budget a bit if I ask my parents for some extra money, but I would prefer if I didn't have to borrow money from them because I don't like borrowing money from anyone. I need help deciding on a tie as well. I'm debating choosing between a solid black one or THIS or THIS. So my outfit is going to look like Fitted black suit White shirt(no pocket) Whatever tie And then whatever oxfords I find Thoughts?

14. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

For under $100 dress-like shoes I have only had experience with Rockport. While they were not great shoes they were fine for the price. I have seen Bostonian shoes in stores and although I haven't tried them the quality seemed reasonable for something under $100.

Would highly recommend saving up to get to at least $200 for shoes, the quality difference is huge.

15. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

A similar thread about cheap dress shoes here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=237816 You're not going to get much praise here for the black suit. There are lots of reasons why your first suit should be dark gray or navy instead (for example, a black can be too formal for some occasions). This has been covered quite a lot on the forum, you can use the search function to see all the many threads on this topic. Your picture links aren't showing up. Edit to add: Black suit + black tie = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119654/