• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor in Vancouver?

lintag

Reaction score
Vancouverites, I'm looking for a tailor that will be able to alter a wool driving cap of mine. Any suggestions?

silky mofo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 7ma?
Does anyone know if Oakridge Tailors do MTM suits?

Yes. I was in a few weeks ago getting a few suits tailored and someone was asking about this.

From what I overheard, charges are approximately:

* $1500 for labour
* Fabric is about $500 for basic and then up depending on how premium you want to go.

They had fairly limited fabrics to look at, but said they could bring more in if needed.

I'd be interested to hear from others on their experience getting a suit made with them as I have also been considering. Also comparatives with their quality to ones made say by Maxwell or Raja would be interesting to hear.

Cheers!

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Has anyone tried Tai Pan Tailor Co. 104-1595 West Broadway? I noticed that they carry Zegna fabrics and have some very nice looking jackets in the window.

I used them once. I will never step foot back in that shop again. I've only got a sec so I'll be back later to give details.

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Has anyone tried Tai Pan Tailor Co. 104-1595 West Broadway? I noticed that they carry Zegna fabrics and have some very nice looking jackets in the window.

Originally Posted by ZenStyle
I used them once. I will never step foot back in that shop again. I've only got a sec so I'll be back later to give details.

Ok, (I won't go into as much detail as Mafoofan's H wallet fiasco though, haha) here's my experience with Tai Pan Tailor Co. on West Broadway.

A while back I took a MTM suit to get a few small tweaks. No major surgery or anything. It's an older guy, the tailor I guess, and his wife. I explain what I wanted, explain it's supposed to be a fitted suit, not a conservative bankers suit or whatever.

I politely questioned a few of the alteration suggestions and eventually agreed on some measurements.

Later, when I picked up the suit he told me he let things out more than we agreed on because he felt it would be better that way. I didn't have time to go into it then so I paid and left with the suit.

A few days later I realized I didn't like how it fit (including one sleeve longer than the other) and even though being wary of what kind of reaction I would get I went back. I was intentionally super super polite. Just explained that I wasn't happy he did more than we agreed. His wife was friendly, but the owner/old guy just started getting angry. His wife even measured the sleeves and (in chinese, they didn't know some white guys can understand asian languages, ha!) told him that one is longer, so he measured and just pulled the shorter sleeve to make them match on the ruler saying 'see they're the same'. Later he started swearing saying "sh*t", etc.

Basically I was laughing in my head as this a-hole went on and on about how he didn't like that I was 'complaining', that he was trying to make me look good and all I do is 'complain, complain, complain' and said I 'shouldn't be so picky as it's not a four thousand dollar suit'. His wife even gave me sympathetic looks! I stayed polite throughout, commented on his poor customer service and took my suit and left.

If you're a banker or lawyer that wants a conservative baggy suit or just need some pants hemmed maybe Tai Pan Tailor is ok for that.

Just don't even think of 'complaining' after you pay or prepare for an earful
facepalm.gif

The guy is a major a**hole. I will stay far away from Tai Pan Tailor Co. from now on.

ZenStyle

Reaction score
The funny thing about that debacle was that I've read various stories/reviews where a business owner gives astonishingly rude serrvice, starts ranting at a practically stunned customer, but it had never happened to me before.

When I've read of those type of experiences I always think how crazy it is that a business owner would start swearing and ranting at a customer (who didn't start it first).

So when it started happening to me it was kinda surreal. I briefly pondered telling the old guy to F right off, but I found myself being oddly entertained by the whole thing. He would start ranting, I would contine talking calmly trying to reason with him, then he would calm down, before abruptly getting fired up again.

He probably has some skill for some conservative styles or whatever, but know that if you aren't 100% happy that he will take it personally and go on the verbal attack on you (the customer who paid him money).

Some people just have no clue how to deal with people and should not be in any sort of business.

LOL..I'm kinda happy it happned because now I know these bizzare things really do happen!

KVH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffR
To save you reading the other 19 pages in the thread, no, no and no. People have recently had bad experiences with Minichello (at least for sport coats), Samson is out of his depth and arrogant, and Modernize uses fused construction (that, or they don't know the difference between fused and basted canvas construction).

If it weren't for your height, I'd say troll the B&S and pick up something made for athletic builds (Zegna Milano, Oxxford Type A, anything drop 8 with the right shoulder measurement, etc.) With your height, your best option is MTM Samuelsohn at the Bay's West End shop or Harry Rosen. If you want to save money wait for the Gala (at the Bay) or the Samuelsohn trunk sale (at Harry Rosen).

No and no. Buy a measuring tape and go to www.jantzentailor.com.

Does anyone have the same negative sentiments about Modernize?

I need to get a MTM suit because I can't fit off the rack (I'm 5'9" with an athletic/muscular build).

Harry Rosen will have a 20% off sale on MTM Coppley suits resulting in a price range of $800 to $1300 for the rest of Feb but I'm seriously considering Modernize.

What scares me about Modernize is the post quoted above regarding Modernize's use of fused construction and the fact that they're super old. Their age worries me because I don't know if they know about the current suit styles trending toward a more slim look.

Does anyone know if the MTM Coppley suits at HR are fused or canvas? One thing that also pushes me towards them is their alteration for life policy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

0piston

Reaction score
Has anyone used Patt Cocco @ Seville Tailors or David Wilkes ? I really wanted get Tony Arletto for MTM, but because he is retired and finding him is like a needle in a haystack.

If anyone has any experiences or info on any of those tailors please post!

Many thanks!

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tailor at TipTop on granville street is actually quite good.
I had him do a bunch of my shirts and a blazer before I moved from Vancouver.
Good prices too...

0piston

Reaction score
Someone recommended a place near west Broadway and Cambie to me, tailor is from Hong Kong and has 30 years experience with British style tailoring, apparently pretty good. Maybe someone else could chime in if they have used him.

facet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KVH
Does anyone have the same negative sentiments about Modernize?

I need to get a MTM suit because I can't fit off the rack (I'm 5'9" with an athletic/muscular build).

Harry Rosen will have a 20% off sale on MTM Coppley suits resulting in a price range of $800 to $1300 for the rest of Feb but I'm seriously considering Modernize.

What scares me about Modernize is the post quoted above regarding Modernize's use of fused construction and the fact that they're super old. Their age worries me because I don't know if they know about the current suit styles trending toward a more slim look.

Does anyone know if the MTM Coppley suits at HR are fused or canvas? One thing that also pushes me towards them is their alteration for life policy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I had a suit done by them a couple years ago. It was my first time buying a custom suit so I didn't really know what to look for or what questions to ask; I had read about them online and so decided to give them a try.

It was an interesting experience. They're nice enough guys to work with; but they don't seem to be able to deviate or change from their house cut, which is a more conservative style. I think I ended up paying $900. It's a decent enough suit; but not really worth the money. So, all in all, now knowing what I like and looking for I wouldn't go back again.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to take a pair of trousers to have the waist taken in a bit? My usual tailor is amazing at tapering/hemming ($10/pair!!) but admittedly doesn't want to touch the waist.

Thanks in advance.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albert's Tailor and Alterations.
On Granville St. above the Babylon Cafe (Donairs)

Or Oakridge Tailor's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads