• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good shirt tailor in Bangkok

Vortex

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'll be traveling to Bangkok in a month and i'm looking for a good shirt tailor (not interested in suits). Ofcourse i'm looking for 100% cotton / linnen shirts and no polyester stuff
smile.gif
. I'll take some of my MTM shirts with me so the tailor just needs to 'copy' my shirts. I've searched styleforum/askandy but I can't find a good shirt tailor, can some of you help me? And can you tell me the average price? Thanks!

Francisco

Reaction score
I am going on August too... Been looking around for nice tailors too and waiting for some contribution.

rayuela

Reaction score
Here's a very good post that does a detailed analysis of tailoring in Bangkok by someone who seems very knowledgeable. Weird that it's on Lonely Planet's forum. Anyway, here it is: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...ageID=10459121 Worth a thorough read through for an overview of Bangkok tailoring. I got some shirts made from Milan Suit, which is mentioned in that post, and found some to be excellent, others so-so. Shirts are around 1200 baht, which is about $35. If you supply fabric they are about $28. Narin Couture, also mentioned in the post, is more expensive but has a much better range of materials. Shirts are more like 1800-3500 at Narin, using his materials. I haven't worn the shirt I got from Narin yet so I can't really comment on it. He has the work done in house and takes time to do it. One other possibility mentioned in that post is to buy fabric at Sampaeng Lane in Chinatown and then take it to one of these places. They're supposed to have a wide range of shirt materials available at Sampaeng. A few specific shops are mentioned in that Lonely Planet post above. Something to be aware of: lots of places claim they will copy your shirts exactly but then will pretty much just do their house style with a couple of details plucked from the garment you asked them to copy. I do think the two places mentioned above would be more conscientious about this.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayuela
Here's a very good post that does a detailed analysis of tailoring in Bangkok by someone who seems very knowledgeable. Weird that it's on Lonely Planet's forum. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...ageID=10459121

Worth a thorough read through for an overview of Bangkok tailoring.

I got some shirts made from Milan Suit, which is mentioned in that post, and found some to be excellent, others so-so. Shirts are around 1200 baht, which is about $35. If you supply fabric they are about $28.

Narin Couture, also mentioned in the post, is more expensive but has a much better range of materials. Shirts are more like 1800-3500 at Narin, using his materials. I haven't worn the shirt I got from Narin yet so I can't really comment on it. He has the work done in house and takes time to do it.

One other possibility mentioned in that post is to buy fabric at Sampaeng Lane in Chinatown and then take it to one of these places. They're supposed to have a wide range of shirt materials available at Sampaeng. A few specific shops are mentioned in that Lonely Planet post above.

Something to be aware of: lots of places claim they will copy your shirts exactly but then will pretty much just do their house style with a couple of details plucked from the garment you asked them to copy. I do think the two places mentioned above would be more conscientious about this.

Thanks Bro!!
thumbs-up.gif

Bohdathone

Reaction score
For shirts, I always like to use World Group Tailors (aka Golden Wool). They have a few locations near the Oriental hotel, and have recently opened their beautiful flagship directly next door to it. Nice selection of fabrics, good prices (around 2000bht) and pleasant service. For casual wear with jeans I usually wear some great slimline numbers that they did a few years ago for me, and which are holding up well. The writer of that article is right about suits in BKK...I've yet to see one tailored there that looks 100% right, even at the very top end.

zeusbheld

Reaction score
i live in Bangkok and i have started using Milan Suit recently. i'm pretty happy with the progress so far but i think it will take 3 or 4 shirts to get where i want. part of that is me refining my idea of what i want, part of it is me not communicating well exactly what i want. i suspect this 3 or 4 shirts would be the same anywhere.

be advised that if you don't want slim-fit shirts (and / or pants) you might have to... negotiate. and stick to your guns. i suspect this is true at most decent tailors in Bangkok as it seems to be the most popular look around town for the last few years (especially among Thais). i am confident that if you know (or can figure out) what you want you can get it with some precision.... once you convince the tailor that you know what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads