• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good quality/designer jeans with 30" or 31" inseam?

turbozed

Reaction score
I'm a short guy (5'7"). I'm finding it hard to build a denim collection because it seems designer jeans typically have inseams of 32" and 34". While 32" is okay for me with my RRDS as I don't mind cuffing them and I'm told they will shrink an inch or so in length after the first wash, it's difficult to find a good pair of slightly bootcut washed jeans. I know bootcuts aren't very popular amongst the denim enthusiasts but they just fit my body type a lot better (I have relatively thicker thighs so a straight/tapered cut would make my legs abnormally short). Stuff like Earnest Sewn Hutch, which is what I'm looking for in a washed jean, is available (from my searching) only in 34" inseam. Now if I try to hem these washes, I'm thinking this would fatally alter the cut. Also, the honeycombs would be a little too low and distressing on the knees, etc. would be off.

I know there must be a few small guys out there that can give me some advice. If I could be directed to some good denim available in 30" inseam I'd appreciate it.

Anyone know why Japanese premium denim brands don't come in shorter inseams? You'd think they'd have market for shorter legs there. (Not ragging on the Japanese. I've been to Japan and I know not everyone is short but generally a bit smaller)

Thanks!
sly.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Japanese style is to wear long, slouchy jeans that bunch up. That's why they always come in long inseams.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Take your jeans to a tailor. No reason to buy your jeans with 30" inseams.

With washed jeans, will taking a 32" down to around a 30" drastically change where the distressing/honeycombs are and make it look even more unnatural? Also how will 2" affect the cut and look of a jean cut with a slight bootcut?

It's kinda a rough proposition to buy $150+ jeans, have them altered, and then not be pleased with the result. After some research, i wasn't able to find much coverage on this topic. Any ideas?

minya

Reaction score
That's why you buy jeans dry and break them in yourself.
tongue.gif
Bootcut won't be a problem, though, esp. for subtle bootcuts.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
That's why you buy jeans dry and break them in yourself.
tongue.gif

Bootcut won't be a problem, though, esp. for subtle bootcuts.

Yah I'm actually breakin in a pair of RRDS right now. Trying to get a nice pair of lighter/washed/predistressed denim to mix it up (my other jeans are express/a&f jeans that are way too big for me). I almost bought a pair of Diesels but decided not to (couldn't justify the price with the quality of the wash)
wow.gif

Anyone have suggestions? I don't want to become the "one pair of jeans guy."
laugh.gif

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Anyone have suggestions? I don't want to become the "one pair of jeans guy."
laugh.gif

More appropriate is a "one pair of jeans per six months" guy....

Anyway, I think Rag & Bone makes 30" inseams. Also I'm not sure if you're a fan of Prps, but they only come in one inseam, and it's quite short -- it's 31" max. Probably closer to 30".

tangerine

Reaction score
I have a 30" inseam and had a pair of Earnest Sewn Hutch altered to fit. The bootcut still looks reasonably good and while the honeycombs are perhaps a wee bit low, only the most discriminating observer would notice. Based on compliments I have received on the jeans from stylish women, I would say I am satisfied with the result.
wink.gif

Diesel and Levis both make shorter lengths that won't need alteration, though I agree the better cuts and washes are overpriced with both labels.

Agree with minya about R&B and PRPS inseams, but I only like the dark/one wash in those jeans and I'm not sure if you would find a washed jean you would like. Worth a look, though.

turbozed

Reaction score
Hey tangerine, was the ES Hutch that you took down to a 30" originally a 34" or 32"? Do you (or anyone else) know if they make a 32"?

Thanks for the info, this is exactly the sort of thing I was lookin for.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tangerine

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Hutch I had altered was a 34" inseam and I think that is the only inseam ES produces. I have never seen the inseam length given on their tags.

5EP is a great suggestion, I have a pair of the straight down (not bootcut) and the quality is amazing. You get what you pay for.

turbozed

Reaction score
I was checking out Earnest Sewn jeans on Revolve...
http://www.revolveclothing.com/brand...rnestSewnM.jsp
... and apparently all of their jeans are 34 inseam except for their full leg line which has a 33" inseam. I'm thinking altering the 33" to a maybe a 31" (or a little less) might give me the look I'm going for. Does anyone know anything about the cut and fit of the full leg jean (or if there are any quality diffs from the Hutch)? When it says 18" at knees breaks to 20" at leg opening, what size waist are they using as a basis? It would be strange to think the leg measurements would be the same for a 30" waist and 34" waist.

I ask too many questions I know.
smile.gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a complete whore for G-Star jeans, which come in a 30" inseam.

I've never had a problem with the quality, although I know there are members here who've owned some much less durable pairs. I consider the quality - both in terms of construction and washes - on par with Diesel, but at a lower pricepoint.

nairb49

Reaction score
I agree with Nick on the above points, though I haven't come across many washes that G-star makes that I like.

PRPS is an excellent suggetsion, and I'm sure if you look around and are patient you'll be able to find a pair for less than $175. They were trying in vain to get rid of them last time I checked.

5EP is also great, I think PG2G and I have the same pair, the straight dark worn, and they are one of the best quality jeans I've seen. I'm slightly taller, 5'9 or so, and the 32 inseam might be a *bit* long, especially if you're wearing cons/vans/other low profile shoes, but if you don't mind a cuff you should be alright. Plus, you can show off the selvage line.
tounge.gif

Personally, I think minya's suggestion is easiest. Wait for your RRDS to get some good wear, and pick up a new pair of raw denim that comes in your size and start all over again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads