1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Price On Jaeger?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jjgold, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

2. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

3. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

meant to say..While killing time on the forum I saw Overstock.com sells Jaeger LeCoultre.

4. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

You can talk any retailer down 20% on a watch. 30% is within the bounds of possibility. So if Overstock is listing the correct MSRP and you really want the watch, it's not a bad price.

5. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

Thnks..So it is not an unbelievable deal.

6. minhi

minhi Senior member

i've seen a few of these on timezone.com in the buy/sell for under 5K if you're ok with second hand...

7. raphael

raphael Senior member

Try to get a near-new used one from a reputable seller on timezone. JLC's do not hold their value well in secondary markets... you'll save at least $2000.

8. Big A

Big A Senior member

No that is not a good price, and you should never buy a JLC (or any watch for that matter) new.

As soon as you buy it the watch loses a bunch of value. However, they depreciate very slowly after that, and can often go up. Luxury watches like JLC are frequently maintained in excellent condition, and it is hard to tell a new one from a used one.

I bought a used reverso that I wear all the time for about $3,500.00. I'm pretty sure if I sold it today I could sell it for $3,500.00.

If you are dead set on a new watch buy it from a reputable dealer - you can usually get between 20 - 30% off (unless its a rolex) and often you can do better.

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

and you should never buy a JLC (or any watch for that matter) new.

Some people enjoy doing so.

10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Some people enjoy doing so.

+1. jjl isn't looking for an arbitrage opportunity. There is a certain amount of peace of mind that comes from buying a watch NIB with all papers.

I think the Reverso Grande at that price is a decent deal.

11. Coho

Coho Senior member

IMHO, the JLC reverso is overpriced.

I'd only buy new only if I can't find a particular watch I want with box, papers, and certified documents. I'd not mind buying used if all the documents are there. I just don't get people buying watches over 5K without box and papers.

12. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

jeez, that is some crazy advice...'never buy JLC or other watch new...??' I wouldn't buy a used watch, myself.

Depending on the size and type of JLC you're looking for, you might consider checking the price you've found against those at www.prestigetime.com and www.watchclick.com I have purchased watches from both of these sites, and have been nothing but happy with both (one JLC reverso classique, one Omega).

personally, I'd buy this one and slap a black croc strap on it:

http://www.watchclick.com/store/item...sp?itemid=1548

13. moon unit

moon unit Member

I got a Reverso Grande Date at Schubot (Detroit) for less than that during the holidays. It was 40% off the 2007 list price so that is not a great deal from Overstock

Not that impressive a watch in pictures but stunning in person.

14. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

Moon, is Schubot still in business?

15. moon unit

moon unit Member

Moon, is Schubot still in business?

Yes, the son owns it currently afaik and they were liquidating the inventory at the end of the year for the transfer, regular customers got the first shot in November. You won't find that watch there at that price now.

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I have no qualms about working the pre-owned market for housing, autos, art, boats, aircraft, etc...Why should watches be any different?

Small minds.......................[​IMG]

17. Coho

Coho Senior member

Nothing wrong with being money smart. I don't mind spending big bucks for things I enjoy. However, I do believe in setting limits.

I have no qualms about working the pre-owned market for housing, autos, art, boats, aircraft, etc...Why should watches be any different?

Small minds.......................[​IMG]

18. Big A

Big A Senior member

Depreciation hit on a new watch is just insane, unless the watch is a Rolex Daytona, certain Pateks, and a couple of others. If you can get a used in 99% condition with books and papers, why would you ever buy a new one? Just to throw $1,500-$2,000 away?

I mean, everyone has a right to do what they want with their money. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion, to buy a new JLC Reverso, but again that's just my opinion . . . .

19. Coho

Coho Senior member

Well, when people are rich enough to not waste time, then buying a new watch achieves this goal. Buying a used watch in the condition that you want does take a lot of patience and nerve-wrecking anticipation. It all comes down to one's financial status.

Depreciation hit on a new watch is just insane, unless the watch is a Rolex Daytona, certain Pateks, and a couple of others. If you can get a used in 99% condition with books and papers, why would you ever buy a new one? Just to throw $1,500-$2,000 away?

I mean, everyone has a right to do what they want with their money. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion, to buy a new JLC Reverso, but again that's just my opinion . . . .

20. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

If you can really afford the watch in the first place that will not matter.

I'd much rather go in and enjoy 45 min in Wempe than I would pointing and clicking and trying to get the best deal via the internet.