• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Price On Jaeger?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no qualms about working the pre-owned market for housing, autos, art, boats, aircraft, etc...Why should watches be any different?

Small minds.......................
plain.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being money smart. I don't mind spending big bucks for things I enjoy. However, I do believe in setting limits.

Originally Posted by Tomasso
I have no qualms about working the pre-owned market for housing, autos, art, boats, aircraft, etc...Why should watches be any different?

Small minds.......................
plain.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depreciation hit on a new watch is just insane, unless the watch is a Rolex Daytona, certain Pateks, and a couple of others. If you can get a used in 99% condition with books and papers, why would you ever buy a new one? Just to throw $1,500-$2,000 away?

I mean, everyone has a right to do what they want with their money. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion, to buy a new JLC Reverso, but again that's just my opinion . . . .

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, when people are rich enough to not waste time, then buying a new watch achieves this goal. Buying a used watch in the condition that you want does take a lot of patience and nerve-wrecking anticipation. It all comes down to one's financial status.

Originally Posted by Big A
Depreciation hit on a new watch is just insane, unless the watch is a Rolex Daytona, certain Pateks, and a couple of others. If you can get a used in 99% condition with books and papers, why would you ever buy a new one? Just to throw $1,500-$2,000 away?

I mean, everyone has a right to do what they want with their money. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion, to buy a new JLC Reverso, but again that's just my opinion . . . .

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A

If you can really afford the watch in the first place that will not matter.

I'd much rather go in and enjoy 45 min in Wempe than I would pointing and clicking and trying to get the best deal via the internet.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Well, when people are rich enough to not waste time, then buying a new watch achieves this goal. Buying a used watch in the condition that you want does take a lot of patience and nerve-wrecking anticipation. It all comes down to one's financial status.

+1

I can understand the urge to exercise your bargain hunter-gatherer impulse, but at some point, for some of us, the time spent on a search for the "very-very-best-second-hand-it's almost-new" deal is also a waste of money. I also have only very few watches that I want to buy in the future, and I'd rather get exactly what I want without having to do as much searching, rather than having 3 things that aren't exactly what I want. It becomes a false economy after a while...

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of whether I can afford it or not - the Reverso is not an expensive watch, relatively speaking.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just posting my opinion. There are reputable dealers I've dealt with for both new and used watches, so the transactions take the same amount of time. I'm not searching on eBay- perhaps I should have made that more clear.

If you deal with places like Jewels in Time in FL, European Watch Co. in Mass, or a number of other places, it is easy to find 99% used watches.

EdenResident

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place for used watches in or around DC? The only one I know of is the Tourneau in in Crystal City and their price is hysterically bad. (For example, they have a used, late 90's, JLC RDM for $4600 while a new one with a newer movement retails for $5700.)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What about Lilenquist & Beckstead or Tiny Jewel Box?

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
What about Lilenquist & Beckstead or Tiny Jewel Box?

I went to all the L&B around here already. They don't seem to carry used pieces. I'll check out Tiny Jewel Box. Thanks.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads