• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Calories, Bad Calories

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Protein raises insulin. I don't see why this is an issue for anyone.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I think more simply stated that evolution provides an organism with traits that allow for increased survival and reproduction within a particular environment, not some ideal optimization of function.

yup

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
Your first point is not true. Not all creatures become stronger or faster as they evolve - they just change and adapt to the environment. The environment has caused many animals to evolve to smaller and weaker creatures because smaller bodies need less energy for survival (in general).

What did I say that was not accurate and what 'purpose' did I place behind evolution? I checked over my post and didn't see anything resembling a claim to evolutionary purpose.

The point is just because our ancestors did not consume many carbs doesn't mean this was the right thing to do. Evolution did not program the whole 'carbs are unnecessary' into modern man just because our ancestors did not consume as many carbs as we do today. Evolution is a descriptive theory. How our body works =/= everything our ancestors did.

Dunno. Purpose was your word, not mine. Not sure how your second sentence is supposed to be a refutation of my first point -- I agree with the statement you make there.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Dunno. Purpose was your word, not mine. Not sure how your second sentence is supposed to be a refutation of my first point -- I agree with the statement you make there.

umm no where in my post did I mention a purpose. I said there was not a purpose.

I wasn't refuting you because we're essentially saying the same thing. I was trying to draw on my previous point to clarify my own point using your words to make it easier to follow.

Originally Posted by Viktri
Evolution sometimes causes creatures to become stronger, faster, etc. but that isn't the purpose behind the concept.

isn't = is not

Unless you take me to be saying "that isn't the purpose" to mean "there is a purpose", which confuses me because I didn't post that.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this video of Taubes talking about the key concepts pertaining to fat, hunger and obesity in GCBC. He does not touch on the heart disease topics covered in the book.

Audity

Reaction score
After doing a lot of research I've recently purchased this book. I'm going to be taking up a low-carb/high-fat diet so this book is of interest to me. I don't expect it's going to be full of new claims, rather putting to bed old and outdated or inaccurate claims.

Audity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
How does protein raise insulin?

Maybe somebody will correct me here, but when the body is low on carbs it can turn dietary protein into glucose.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The mechanism for pancreatic secretion? I don't know. I couldn't tell you how glucose raises insulin either, but it does.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gluconeogenesis.

Just finished his new book. If anyone didn't read GCBC because of it's length, the new one is a nicely condensed version with some updated info and studies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads