• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good bag for a M 4/3 camera

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas? Will be just the M4/3 with a smaller 14-42 lens, spare battery and a few memory cards? Lowepro is ok but want something that looks a bit better.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought my bag for my canon at the source for 30 bucks
i rarely use it.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Billingham.

+1

If you want style as well as decently made bags with good protection they're probably the best bet. LowePro is very decent from a practical point of view, but styling is pretty functional...

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Wow, this thread was well timed for me. I've gotten an SLR recently (took tons of shots, though it's gonna be weeks of non-stop heavy cloud cover where I am right now), and I use a LowePro when the conditions might get rough. It offers good protection, but it's not the most attractive bag.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Billingham. Although I no longer use a SLR, that bag has served me well for 10 years

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Don't buy one. Camera bags fall into two categories: 1. Utilitarian but fugly. 2. Cool looking, but mad expensive and not versatile. Get any decent-looking bag and invest in a $25 padded insert. You save some money and you don't have to walk around with a bag that screams: "Expensive camera in here, please rip off my shoulder!" when abroad or in Baltimore.
41-e1YW63AL.jpg

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
You save some money and you don't have to walk around with a bag that screams: "Expensive camera in here, please rip off my shoulder!" when abroad or in Baltimore.

That's assuming you never actually use your camera to take pictures, because as soon as you do your cover's blown anyway whether you're using a $300 Billingham or a $5 diaper bag. Besides, micro 4/3 cameras were designed around size. If you're going to carry a Billingham, Lowepro, or whatever, and stuff it full of crap, why bother with M4/3? Just get an SLR and be done with it, and have better image quality to boot.

I own a Panasonic GF1 with a 20/1.7... two of them, actually, as I like the camera enough to use it professionally in certain situations (and being in a professional situation means having redundancy) and I can stick that thing in a coat pocket or carry it over one shoulder and forget about it on the days I want to go light, while sacrificing little on the image quality front as long as the light levels are good. If I want to be bothered carrying around a bag, I might as well take my 5D and 35/1.4.

I do have a bag that I use to carry all my M4/3 related stuff for storage at home or when I travel -- a Domke F-803 satchel. But I'm not going to waste my time or money with a $300 Billingham when all I need when out and about on foot with micro 4/3 is the camera with its pancake lens over one shoulder and a spare battery in my pocket.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
If you want style as well as decently made bags with good protection they're probably the best bet. LowePro is very decent from a practical point of view, but styling is pretty functional...

Protection from what, exactly? I've flung my (famously sparsely-padded) F-803 across the room in a rage, twice, with both my GF1 cameras inside, hitting the wall and then landing on concrete. Both my cameras still work perfectly. If it was only one camera in there then I guess you could say I was lucky. But two cameras still working fine would suggest that I'm either extremely lucky, or camera gear is a lot tougher than most mint-condition-obsessed amateurs would give them credit for.

Back on topic for styleforum purposes:

I would further suggest that a Billingham is more MC-appropriate. A Domke (or something like it, such as a surplus military satchel with an insert as someone else suggested) wouldn't look as out of place with SW&D attire. I treat my Domkes like raw denim -- use the bag hard for a year or more then wash it to get fades just like my favorite jeans. A well worn Domke looks just as good as a well worn pair of raw jeans. On the other hand a worn Billingham looks like a worn suit -- i.e., ****.

TheChefs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
That's assuming you never actually use your camera to take pictures, because as soon as you do your cover's blown anyway whether you're using a $300 Billingham or a $5 diaper bag. Besides, micro 4/3 cameras were designed around size. If you're going to carry a Billingham, Lowepro, or whatever, and stuff it full of crap, why bother with M4/3? Just get an SLR and be done with it, and have better image quality to boot.

I own a Panasonic GF1 with a 20/1.7... two of them, actually, as I like the camera enough to use it professionally in certain situations (and being in a professional situation means having redundancy) and I can stick that thing in a coat pocket or carry it over one shoulder and forget about it on the days I want to go light, while sacrificing little on the image quality front as long as the light levels are good. If I want to be bothered carrying around a bag, I might as well take my 5D and 35/1.4.

I do have a bag that I use to carry all my M4/3 related stuff for storage at home or when I travel -- a Domke F-803 satchel. But I'm not going to waste my time or money with a $300 Billingham when all I need when out and about on foot with micro 4/3 is the camera with its pancake lens over one shoulder and a spare battery in my pocket.

Protection from what, exactly? I've flung my (famously sparsely-padded) F-803 across the room in a rage, twice, with both my GF1 cameras inside, hitting the wall and then landing on concrete. Both my cameras still work perfectly. If it was only one camera in there then I guess you could say I was lucky. But two cameras still working fine would suggest that I'm either extremely lucky, or camera gear is a lot tougher than most mint-condition-obsessed amateurs would give them credit for.

Back on topic for styleforum purposes:

I would further suggest that a Billingham is more MC-appropriate. A Domke (or something like it, such as a surplus military satchel with an insert as someone else suggested) wouldn't look as out of place with SW&D attire. I treat my Domkes like raw denim -- use the bag hard for a year or more then wash it to get fades just like my favorite jeans. A well worn Domke looks just as good as a well worn pair of raw jeans. On the other hand a worn Billingham looks like a worn suit -- i.e., ****.

I agree with this, I've a F-803 copy, Safrotto CF700. It's Chinese, but surprisingly better quality bag with better padding. I use it with my e-p1, 20mm f1.4, leica 50mm f1.4 + adapter and 7-14mm f4 lenses (used to own 35mm f1.2 lens, but I've sold it). Everything fits nicely. with lots of room to spare for charger, batteries, memory cards, a book. Even tiny laptop when I went overseas.

Ike

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who has had several attempts on his Nikon, I colored in my strap with black permanent marker and use a basic, nondescript camera bag from my local place. If that's far from your types of worries (eg: I travel a lot), Billinghams are good, as others have said. I also just have a smaller Lowepro one, and it's held up well also.

nemo

Reaction score
Timbuk2, if you are going for a younger look, and their bags do last forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads