• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good all-weather super glue??

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an older car with one of those old-school round headlights. The glass headlight dome fell off. You might think it is attached through some sort of clamp or screw-down, but it isn't. It appears to have been held in place by a rubber gasket.

Now, I need the toughest, most reliable glue available to glue it on. Being attached to the front of a car, it needs to be able to stand some extreme conditions:

high vibration
heat
cold
rain
wind
able to bond glass to rubber

any good glues you guys use? I think the hardest requirement might be the ability to hold glass to rubber.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I misunderstand, but what will you do if you glue your headlight on and then the bulb burns out?

To answer your question, "super glue" is crap. To hold stuff together for the long haul, use epoxy. A good hardware store will be able to advise you more precisely.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the front glass is never supposed to come off. Bulb is replaced from the rear.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the clear lens on a replaceable halogen bulbed assembly? If so you use windshield glue for that.

If it's off say a 76 pickup then you replace the entire bulb and yes it will have a retainer ring for that.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is gorilla glue brittle, like Krazy Glue? I'm worried a brittle glue would just break eventually.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Is gorilla glue brittle, like Krazy Glue? I'm worried a brittle glue would just break eventually.

There are different types of GG. But like all glue, extreme temperatures can play a part in affecting its integrity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads