• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gomorra - Anyone see this movie yet?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
in activities many. the camorra for an exttent does not have influence outside of campania where as the calabrese are generally a large inlfuence outside the region of origen.

napoli though they deal with drugs they are often the dealers not direct importers, prostitition to a limtied extnse othe small activities.
´ndrangheta does not really involve itself dealing to the consumer mostly large sales and import into europe.
same with prostitution they mostly move the girls and other people deal with them at the local level.

in general in campania the things are done on the small scale, where as the oter group does it on much larger scale.

you should denounce saviano - it sounds like he made his book up! i obviously don't have highly placed mob sources like you, but i'd still say these distinctions are meaningless in light of my original assertion, i.e. these organizations all make $$$ through illicit activities.

Originally Posted by scarphe
i have read the book accordign to it i may be off base, but i trust my source of te infor mroe than book.

marchal.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
you should denounce saviano - it sounds like he made his book up! i obviously don't have highly placed mob sources like you, but i'd still say these distinctions are meaningless in light of my original assertion, i.e. these organizations all make $$$ through illicit activities.
:

my description does not coem the actual criminals, but the carabinieri, i apologize i did meant o have that undertone in my post.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Looking back on my post, where did I even mention the word Mafia????

Originally Posted by millionaire75
Agreed. I've read tons of mob books but the tone of this book was so harsh/stark. Almost made your stomach turn at how violent/despicable these people are.

wow you got trolled and only at thsi point to did you notice it.
tounge.gif

Mr. Argyle

Reaction score
I took an Italian film class last semester and my professor somehow managed to see the film early. She said it's worth it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the book's broader implication for society is clear - crime is endemic in Italy - the narrow implication for SF is potentially more disturbing: every dollar we spend on discount Italian clothing is going to organized crime. The discount suit places we pass by on Broadway and Fifth Avenue in New York are owned and operated and stocked by organized crime.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imightbechad
WTF?

What movies do you consider "A" quality? The Big Lebowski?

OK the D was probably a result of being terribly disappointed. It is a C or C+.

The characters weren't compelling or interesting, the plot lines weren't clear at all (yes I know they all intertwined) but there wasn't anything there, etc. I think technically is was a very well made and interesting, however I hate epilogues in non-documentaries so that hurt the film even more.

There are more reasons I don't like it, I can go on if you'd like. I'd have to think about which moves are "A" quality...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
OK the D was probably a result of being terribly disappointed. It is a C or C+.

The characters weren't compelling or interesting, the plot lines weren't clear at all (yes I know they all intertwined) but there wasn't anything there, etc. I think technically is was a very well made and interesting, however I hate epilogues in non-documentaries so that hurt the film even more.

There are more reasons I don't like it, I can go on if you'd like. I'd have to think about which moves are "A" quality...

It wasn't about giving you a neatly package dose of "acting out" and rise and fall type morals if that's what you were after.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It wasn't about giving you a neatly package dose of "acting out" and rise and fall type morals if that's what you were after.

No I was hoping for a good movie.

I think what inflated critical opinion of the movie is that it was about themes and stories that critics (and as a result, the GP) eat up.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
No I was hoping for a good movie.

I think what inflated critical opinion of the movie is that it was about themes and stories that critics (and as a result, the GP) eat up.

Name me movies you liked from 2008.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Name me movies you liked from 2008.

I see what you're trying to do, but I'll play along anyway.

Synechdoche New York was OK, I liked Man on Wire, I even enjoyed Lakeview Terrace. I should also say that I didn't see too many movies from 2008 and I'm still catching up. Moreover, Gomorra is a movie I should have liked. The concept is right up my alley, I love interesting/new takes on organized crime etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads