• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
Would probably surprise me if you hadn't, from what I've seen! Food is consistently excellent (definite focus on fresh and local ingredients), service is excellent, but what I like abt the place (it's probably my favorite old stand-by in NY) is that it reaches those heights while remaining welcoming, unlike so many of the temples de cuisine elsewhere in the city.
Did the tasting menu last time I went. It was delightful, reasonably priced for a quality multi-course meal, and surprisingly welcoming and non-haughty for a Michelin star eatery.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UpperWestie
Moo - Here's a thought: try pricing out http://www.sixcolumbus.com/

It is a small boutique hotel right in Columbus Circle, which is the dividing line between midtown and Upper West and hugs Central Park. I've been through the lobby several times and it seems very nice. The location will suit what you want as 1)Columbus Circle is a major subway stop where many lines converge and its easy to get downtown. 2) You have access to touristy things like the Time Warner Center, West side boat rides, 3) you are a 10 min walk to all the shopping in midtown, 15 min walk to the start of upper east side boutiques row on Madison ave. 4) you are a 10 min walk to all the trappings of the Upper West, 5) you are across the street from the park.

I am not familiar with the hotel. But that would be a nice location. Central Park is very nice in October. Would probably be a better location than the Roosevelt, from the standpoint of scenery and people watching.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I haven't read this thread and maybe it has already been offered, but perhaps Foo and the missus could take Moo and the missus around in the evening and show them the NYC nightlife scene.

Pics would be great, of course, and you can make a MooFoo and the Meese thread.

Only if you and Dopette come along. I assume Moo is treating.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I am happily married and intend to stay that way.

funny_wedding_card-p137457246270386440qqld_400.jpg

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
6 Columbus is a Thompson Hotel. They can be pretty good, have stayed at 60 Thompson in Soho and would return. 6 had big issues during renovation so you find mixed reviews based on that time period.

Moo, pick an area you plan to spend the most time in for your hotel. Don't waste time going uptown and downtown.

Spend 1 day as a total tourist. 1 day checking out all the shops/walking Madison, Fifth Ave. 1 day at the Met or a couple smaller museums, 1 day in the Village, Soho, Chelsea. Leave a day open to go back to what you liked best, did not have enough time for or to do something you discover to do while you are there.

Last trip we had a great deal at the Regency Hotel. You are 1 block from Barneys, 2 minute walk to Bergdorf's and Central Park. Just around the corner from Madison Ave. You can walk to the museums. Check out The London on 54th too. They sometimes have good deals.
Midtown is ok but you won't do much there. If you like midtown you can do better than the Roosevelt. Sofitel, Royalton and The Iroquois are nice, 44th between 5th & 6th with a few good restaurants close by.

tbone226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
French, likely. In that range here in SF and the Bay Area are some fantastic restaurants. I'm not sure that NYC operates on the same price scale. Some restaurants in that range here are Fleur de Lys, Gary Danko, etc.

Here are some dining recs:

Jean Georges
Daniel
The Modern (reserve in the main dining room)
Eleven Madison Park
Bouley
Perry Street

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't hate it...I just have found meals there kinda, "meh." Or as el grande tempo would put it, "competent but not enjoyable."
¡Nadie pone palabras en la boca del grande tempo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads