• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If I had all the money in the world and wanted to live it up in Manhattan for a week, I'd stay on the Upper East Side because I prefer elegant over edgy.

Are you stabling any horses at Riverdale yet, so that you can ride in the Park?

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Are you stabling any horses at Riverdale yet, so that you can ride in the Park?

- B

One day, one day . . .

TC11201

Reaction score
I don't understand the appeal of Union Square. It seems like the place to go if you want a sanitized, surburbanized version of the city, complete with a Whole Foods and gimmicky theme restaurants.

I don't disagree that downtown is a must-see and certainly 'interesting'. But, particularly from a vistor's point-of-view, the edgiest part of a city is often not the most compelling or attractive. Both the UWS and UES are interesting, just in a different way. If I had all the money in the world and wanted to live it up in Manhattan for a week, I'd stay on the Upper East Side because I prefer elegant over edgy. I also think it's a huge benefit to stay near the park. Ostensibly, as a tourist, you don't want to spend all day hanging out in Central Park, but you still want to see it. Staying uptown allows you easy access and a way to incorporate it naturally into your itinerary.

I actually think that both the UWS and the UES are more sanitized than Union Sq (at least Union Sq broadly writ - I think the NYT refers to the UWS as Lower Westchester - I don't go that far, I like the UWS, but it is a bit more homogenized to my mind than downtown), particularly once you get past that one side with the Whole Foods. But I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder. The area around Union sq, rather than the square itself is, to me, very interesting - you have everything from lower 5th Ave (the former Ladies Mile and the elegant bldgs there) and Washington Sq / NYU, to Gramercy Park and Irving Place, to the "edginess" just east of there in the E Village to the Central Village, plus 10 blocks further north and you get the Flatiron area, which has all sorts of interesting restaurants popping up. More than anything, what I like is that the area is generally a 24/7 area with people of all stripes out and about all times of day and night. The area also has one of the thickest concentrations of interesting, unique restaurants.

I agree that if you want elegant, downtown is not the place to be (although Gramercy and parts of lower 5th Ave may pass muster) and I agree that if that was what I wanted, something on either the UES or UWS is where I'd shack up. To me though, what makes New York special and gives it its unique buzz is the street scene, whether elegant, gritty, hip, etc. You just don't find the same elbow-to-elbow mix of high and low, elegant and edgy, east and west, north and south anywhere else on the planet and to me, downtown is the best place to see that mixing (while still being convenient to all the sights, attractions, etc.).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
One day, one day . . .

It was pretty sad when Claremont closed two years ago...it was around 89th and Broadway.

I had friends who boarded two horses there back in the 80s and 90s. Few things in life are as fun as riding in Central Park on an early weekend morning.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
I actually think that both the UWS and the UES are more sanitized than Union Sq.

The whole city is sanitized compared to twenty years ago. This probably makes for better living, but it definitely makes for duller visiting.

I still associate the first ten minutes after leaving the Cross-Bronx with seeing at least one overturned car in flames.

- B

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
midtown is fine for tourists, close to everything, tons of cabs and subways. No worse than telling the guy to go to a supermarket (zabars) on his vacation
confused.gif

You are calling Zabars a "supermarket?" That would be like calling Gramercy Tavern a "diner."

yarnsforth

Reaction score
IMO NYC's greatest resource is its people; squeeze in some time in the evening (or day when possible) to meet your forum friends and I think it will enhance your trip. You can easily have a full schedule in the city for 4.5 days but a trip outside the city offers a nice break to a hectic pace (and tired feet). The Dia Center in Beacon by train has been recommended. I think the Serra sculptures are phenomenal and if you're both in one when it's not busy.....
wink.gif
Depending on your travel dates you can rent a car and combine the Dia with a visit to the annual NY Sheep and Wool festival in Rhinebeck (Oct. 17 & 18) where you can see everything from cashmere goats and llamas to finished wool products (no suits, though). Rhinebeck is about a 50 min. drive north from Beacon. Other attractions in the above areas (Hudson River valley) in October include apple picking and visiting vineyards, and enjoying some fall foliage. Do visit Brighton Beach and see the Atlantic ocean, to add to your Pacific experience.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
You are calling Zabars a "supermarket?" That would be like calling Gramercy Tavern a "diner."

I'm trying to remember...is Gramercy Tavern the Colicchio one where you have to make your own food?

- B

TC11201

Reaction score
The whole city is sanitized compared to twenty years ago. This probably makes for better living, but it definitely makes for duller visiting.

I still associate the first ten minutes after leaving the Cross-Bronx with seeing at least one overturned car in flames.

- B

True dat...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am sorry to pause this thread, but I hope that everyone who has given advice understands that under no circumstances would Moo take your advice.

If the OP shows any evidence of doing so, only one conclusion is possible: the Moo of this thread is an imposter.

I know that the StyleForvm Identity Theft Team is at the ready to pounce once a finding is made.

- B

TC11201

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember...is Gramercy Tavern the Colicchio one where you have to make your own food?

- B

Nope - that's craft. Gramercy tavern was his first big hit - great food, elegant, but reltaively more casual. Bare wood floors, open ovens - one of the first relaxed, elegant New American places in what was then the hinterlands below 23rd st.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I am sorry to pause this thread, but I hope that everyone who has given advice understands that under no circumstances would Moo take your advice.

If the OP shows any evidence of doing so, only one conclusion is possible: the Moo of this thread is an imposter.

I know that the StyleForvm Identity Theft Team is at the ready to pounce once a finding is made.

- B

laugh.gif
This thread has given me some great advice and I will certainly take it.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

Only if you are digging in their dumpster out back.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
Nope - that's craft. Gramercy tavern was his first big hit - great food, elegant, but reltaively more casual. Bare wood floors, open ovens - one of the first relaxed, elegant New American places in what was then the hinterlands below 23rd st.

Hmmm...I think that I have eaten there.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads