• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

going to a different doctor

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
13
I am having a problem with my eyes. I have been seeing the same eye doctor since I was a kid, and I am very comfortable there. However, they are located over an hour away. Aditionally, they dont accept the insurance that I have (not the end of the world).

So my question is do you go to a more convienent doctor, closer to where I live/work who I have no relationship with (I mean its an eye doctor, not a shrink), or bite the bullet and take time off work, head down there, and go to who I have been seeing.

Also, would you go to a retail clinic (think lenscrafters, etc...)?


My caveat for this particular question is that I dont think my problem is prescription related, all the sudden I am having a hard time focusing and I feel pressure in my eyes. Given that this is slightly abnormal, would that change your recomendation?
 

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
17,711
Reaction score
7,318
Why wouldn't you just find an eye doctor that takes your insurance and is closer?
 

Pale Male

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2010
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Another possibility: Search for best eye doctors in your state/area and see who pops up. May or may not take your insurance, but if you have a problem, catching it early and having the best treatment seems better than getting the best deal.
 

Chiro75

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
You have to figure out what the most important aspect of your doctor-patient relationship is. Is it the convenience, the insurance (not a good criteria unless money is really a big issue for you), or your health? All three are probably important, but which is primary? You're probably going to need to see an ophthamologist, anyway, instead of an optometrist, so they'll likely be referring you.

If I were you, I would call the doctor I have a good relationship with, tell him what's going on and that it isn't convenient for you to travel so far for appointments for this problem and ask him for a referral to someone closer. He'll have a better chance of knowing who he thinks is good and it's a win-win. We get requests like this all the time and it's no offense from the doctor's perspective.
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,658
Reaction score
57
I would get the prescription from your current eye doctor and maybe shop around for other places for frames and lens that do accept your insurance- thats what I do now.

If you feel pressure in your eyes I'd go to an opthamologist to get it checked out.
 

mcpherv

New Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by dragon8
I would get the prescription from your current eye doctor and maybe shop around for other places for frames and lens that do accept your insurance- thats what I do now.

If you feel pressure in your eyes I'd go to an opthamologist to get it checked out.


+++ lurker here but joined to comment... please be sure to get it checked out by a physician, NOT an optometrist. Ophthalmologists are MDs that specialize in treating eye pathology - Optometrists may be able to recognize some eye pathology but are not trained to treat it... Could be nothing, but could be something you NEED treated ASAP. I'd go to a primary care physician and see whether or not they feel a referral to an ophthalmologist is warranted (In Canada, we need referrals to specialists from a family doctor, don't know if you can directly access specialists in the US).
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,658
Reaction score
57
Originally Posted by mcpherv
+++ lurker here but joined to comment... please be sure to get it checked out by a physician, NOT an optometrist. Ophthalmologists are MDs that specialize in treating eye pathology - Optometrists may be able to recognize some eye pathology but are not trained to treat it... Could be nothing, but could be something you NEED treated ASAP. I'd go to a primary care physician and see whether or not they feel a referral to an ophthalmologist is warranted (In Canada, we need referrals to specialists from a family doctor, don't know if you can directly access specialists in the US).

Depending on your healthplan one may need a referral to see a specialist.
 

mcpherv

New Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by dragon8
Depending on your healthplan one may need a referral to see a specialist.
Thanks for the point of clarification! If that's the case for the OP, then he definitely should see his family doctor (MD - not optometrist) ASAP to ensure its nothing serious. EDIT: Or if its getting worse - emerg.
 

scientific

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
1,019
Reaction score
9
finding a trustworthy doctor is not easy. if they're only an hour away you should be able to get there pretty easily ... i travel 4 hours to see certain docs
 

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
4,658
Reaction score
57
Originally Posted by scientific
finding a trustworthy doctor is not easy. if they're only an hour away you should be able to get there pretty easily ... i travel 4 hours to see certain docs

Finding anyone trustworthy is hard enough.

4 Hours? Where do you live?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,055
Messages
9,191,211
Members
193,055
Latest member
MisterPowell

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top