• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

going the home gym route

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there is just too many machines. I would do away with the smith machine and the hammer strengths, to be quite honest.

One thing that people don't usually factor into home gym expenses is maintenance, the threadmill belts, the cables, ball bearings, pivots etc require constant upkeeping. That is why, I prefer to minimize machines. Also, these depreciate in value exponentially. Unless you are in there for the long haul, I would advise against them.

But then again, I suppose you do need the machines to fill up all 975 sq ft of floor space. I have a friend who cannot exercise unless he sees the compound occupied by machines of all sorts even though he doesn't use many of them.

Other optional things, you might want to consider is some shelves and a table or sound system.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no, have a fine foundation of muscle, now i am just refining

Mblova

Reaction score
Proper flooring and a heater(its fcking cold in the garage in the winter time), a sound system, incline/flat/decline, pullup bar, bumper plates, power rack(powertec makes a decent one), leg press(i personally like this) 2-3 olympic bars, trap bar(if you're into that), chains, preacher bench, row machine/bike, and it seems like you got the rest covered.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah, garage is all wired and heated

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Are you into bodybuilding or just getting a well rounded workout? If it's the latter, you can spend $1,500 and have everything you need. And be ripped.

C'mon, no one else is going to quote this? This is hilarious.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
about half i am guessing, it's about 975 sq ft

Just as long as you can park your cars in the garage as well. Of course your health and body are of top priority, but having a four car garage and parking outside would just be
baldy[1].gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^lol, i am 99% sure i will park outside, driveway hold 8 cars and i hate pulling out (in all areas of life)

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn that's a lot of ****

I would forego the Hammer Strength ****. I mean you have the adjustable bench

Preacher bench is a waste IMO
Not crazy about Smith machines either.

A biggie I would replace all that iso stuff with is a good weight belt. That on the chin/dip station will hit ur arms harder than bro curls. I mean I know u got big with those, but u might as well save the space + time, esp if ur just maintaining. I don't like iso work. It ain't no fun if the homies can't have none.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've never used a weight belt, i hate them. and love hammer strength have to have them

Transcendental

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown
the last two bars aren't of vital importantance but I really do suggest a power rack/cage over a squat rack.

oh yeah, and a deadlift jack if you plan on doing deadlifts.

yeah i like a good power rack too.
more versatile like mrchariybrown said

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I have a friend who cannot exercise unless he sees the compound occupied by machines of all sorts even though he doesn't use many of them.
im the opposite. i hate having a cramped workout space. lots of floor space for push ups, dropping bar etc

i got rid of my squat rack in place for squat stands for this reason.

use boxes to do pulls from etc and for snatch recovery work

bumper plates, squat racks and a couple of boxes can acheive the same thing. can also use the boxes for plyos.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i also find working out at home pretty hard.

i always train much harder when im a the gym being egged on by other people. lesss time between sets if im sharing platform with other lifters etc

at home i tend to go slower. i know alot of people can bring the same intensity, but id want to know that i was before i dropped money on all that equipment.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
lifting platform, squat racks, olympic bar, bumper plates and a seat to sit on between sets.

also have a pull up bar and rings. sandbag. road bike and mountain bike.

i have no use for anything else. any other gear is superfluous imo.

I'm nowhere near the beast that thekunk07 is, but my garage gym is similar to above. Homemade lifting platform, squat rack, bumpers plates, adj. DB's, some KB's, a concept II rower, a sandbag, pull-up bar, rings, and bikes. I have maybe $2,000 in equipment as I've bought used whenever possible. I started off doing Crossfit type workouts and now do more O-lifting and interval cardio.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
so, the town we are moving to has no hardcore gym. the house, however, does have a 4 car garage. so here is what i am thinking. cable croosover station squat rack good adjustable bench dbells in the sizes i usually use: 25s, 45s, 50s, 75s, 90s, 110s and 140s hammer strength smith machine short curl bar, cambered bar, 2 olympic bars dip and chin station sorinex landmine life cycle treadmill hammer strength high row hammer strength incline press hammer strength shoulder press preacher bench figuring about a 17k investment. am i missing anything that i should plan for?
you could make a highly effective gym with like an eighth of that budget. This is what my home gym would have: Power rack (for squats/benching/etc) Adjustable bench Olympic bar Plates and maybe some dumbbells if I had extra cash With that simple setup you could do an effective full body routine with plenty of compound movements, which I feel are crucial for gaining mass and what do you use 140 lb dumbbells for???? thats an utterly ridiculous amount of weight, can you bench 140's?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics