• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatee shaping

greatfire

Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't seem to shape my goatee properly; I always mess it up.

So, I'm looking for tips. How do you keep the goatee symmetrical and at the proper height, with like a gillette razor, or something?

I'm going for something like this (just the goatee), my sideburn are straight:

omarion.jpg

TIA!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small beard/moustache trimmers, razor and a steady hand frankly. Every so often I remove my goatee as I get fed up of the maintenance.

P.s. as for athelets., celebs et.c.... they have professionals do this rubbish for them.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got sick of trying to shape it with a mach 3, so just got rid of it completely.

Do you think he could hide behind those shades if there was a nuclear holocaust, and not be harmed ?

MrRogers

Reaction score
I think the best way to shape a goatee is to start from the outside edges and work inward. Keep going until the whole thing is gone. I have never met a person who looks good with a goatee nor have I met someone without one and thought to myself, "Man, a goatee would be a great look for him"

MrR

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Small beard/moustache trimmers, razor and a steady hand frankly. Every so often I remove my goatee as I get fed up of the maintenance.

Lol, I hear that. Usually, after wearing it for a while, I'll end up trimming it unevenly, trying to fix it and overcompensating, then shaving the whole thing in frustration. It's kind of like when you set out to get rid of that wobble in the dining room table and end up turning it it into a big footstool.

Actually, to the OP, many electric razors have a little trimmer thing on them, and I've found that to work reasonably well.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
I think the best way to shape a goatee is to start from the outside edges and work inward. Keep going until the whole thing is gone. I have never met a person who looks good with a goatee nor have I met someone without one and thought to myself, "Man, a goatee would be a great look for him"

MrR

Well, you obviously haven't seen:
EvilCartman.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i look great with a goatee.

i tried shaving it off once, a few years ago, and it'll be a long time before i try it again.

daily maintenance, i just shave to the outline i want.

when it gets scraggly looking, i trim it with scissors. the electric clipper makes it look too even, like george michael.

tiratela

Reaction score
True.. The best CLEAN looking ones are from Athletes and Actors.. They have the daily ritual of having someone with a straight-razor "hook them up" before the games. Just look at Albert Pujols' goatee.. It's Crisp///

For me, a double edge merkur worked..

stach

Reaction score
I shave the edges dry with no foam. That way I can see exactly what I'm doing.
smile.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
I have never met a person who looks good with a goatee nor have I met someone without one and thought to myself, "Man, a goatee would be a great look for him"

MrR

Ain't that the truth?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
I really can't stand goatees at all. I guess with some people they do look natural. Faustian what was the general concensus from the female perspective when you shaved yours off? I hesitate to shave my facial hair a lot because my face looks broader with a beard, but when shaven I get many more compliments.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was on vacation when my shaving experiment occurred, so nobody really saw me who knew me (except my wife, who said i looked like a little boy).

there were a couple office mates who saw my picture though. i think they giggled. (not in a good way.)

i've been married for a long time, so i haven't put much effort into garnering compliments from the female species. so, with that fact in mind, i don't know what my position would be on facial hair if i were single.

i've pretty much always had it in some form or another. so at this point i reckon it might be a bit of a security thing for me, to keep the goatee. kindof like the first time i saw burt reynolds or tom selleck without a mustache...it didn't seem right.

-andrew

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else always read it as "Goatse shaping" at first sight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads