Goatee shaping

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by greatfire, Oct 20, 2006.

1. greatfire

greatfire Senior member

For the life of me, I can't seem to shape my goatee properly; I always mess it up.

So, I'm looking for tips. How do you keep the goatee symmetrical and at the proper height, with like a gillette razor, or something?

I'm going for something like this (just the goatee), my sideburn are straight:

[​IMG]

TIA!

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Small beard/moustache trimmers, razor and a steady hand frankly. Every so often I remove my goatee as I get fed up of the maintenance.

P.s. as for athelets., celebs et.c.... they have professionals do this rubbish for them.

3. Homme

Homme Senior member

I got sick of trying to shape it with a mach 3, so just got rid of it completely.

Do you think he could hide behind those shades if there was a nuclear holocaust, and not be harmed ?

4. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

I think the best way to shape a goatee is to start from the outside edges and work inward. Keep going until the whole thing is gone. I have never met a person who looks good with a goatee nor have I met someone without one and thought to myself, "Man, a goatee would be a great look for him"

MrR

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Small beard/moustache trimmers, razor and a steady hand frankly. Every so often I remove my goatee as I get fed up of the maintenance.

Lol, I hear that. Usually, after wearing it for a while, I'll end up trimming it unevenly, trying to fix it and overcompensating, then shaving the whole thing in frustration. It's kind of like when you set out to get rid of that wobble in the dining room table and end up turning it it into a big footstool.

Actually, to the OP, many electric razors have a little trimmer thing on them, and I've found that to work reasonably well.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think the best way to shape a goatee is to start from the outside edges and work inward. Keep going until the whole thing is gone. I have never met a person who looks good with a goatee nor have I met someone without one and thought to myself, "Man, a goatee would be a great look for him"

MrR

Well, you obviously haven't seen:
    [​IMG]

7. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i look great with a goatee.

i tried shaving it off once, a few years ago, and it'll be a long time before i try it again.

daily maintenance, i just shave to the outline i want.

when it gets scraggly looking, i trim it with scissors. the electric clipper makes it look too even, like george michael.

8. tiratela

tiratela Well-Known Member

True.. The best CLEAN looking ones are from Athletes and Actors.. They have the daily ritual of having someone with a straight-razor "hook them up" before the games. Just look at Albert Pujols' goatee.. It's Crisp///

For me, a double edge merkur worked..

9. stach

stach Senior member

I shave the edges dry with no foam. That way I can see exactly what I'm doing. [​IMG]

10. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I have never met a person who looks good with a goatee nor have I met someone without one and thought to myself, "Man, a goatee would be a great look for him"

MrR

Ain't that the truth?

11. faustian bargain

Ain't that the truth?

is it?

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

is it?

Apparently [​IMG]

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I really can't stand goatees at all. I guess with some people they do look natural. Faustian what was the general concensus from the female perspective when you shaved yours off? I hesitate to shave my facial hair a lot because my face looks broader with a beard, but when shaven I get many more compliments.

14. faustian bargain

i was on vacation when my shaving experiment occurred, so nobody really saw me who knew me (except my wife, who said i looked like a little boy).

there were a couple office mates who saw my picture though. i think they giggled. (not in a good way.)

i've been married for a long time, so i haven't put much effort into garnering compliments from the female species. so, with that fact in mind, i don't know what my position would be on facial hair if i were single.

i've pretty much always had it in some form or another. so at this point i reckon it might be a bit of a security thing for me, to keep the goatee. kindof like the first time i saw burt reynolds or tom selleck without a mustache...it didn't seem right.

-andrew

15. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Anyone else always read it as "Goatse shaping" at first sight?