• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This week I lost my first ever expensive purchase, a pair of kidskin cashmere-lined Hermes gloves.  I'm furious with myself and have checked with my hotel, my office, the taxi commission and everything else I can think of.

I also checked with Hermes, and replacing them would likely cost me well over $500.  As I do not wish to go to hell when I die, nor to be bankrupt before I so do, I am pondering alternatives.  I have been spoiled -- I want to find gloves that are
- handstitched
- cashmere-lined
- kidskin hopefully (not peccary)
- numerically sized (not S/M/L)

Any suggestions?  I've looked at Pickett Fine Leather, but can anyone suggest any other good glovemakers?  I know New and Lingwood sells gloves but I really don't like the way they mark up things that are bought in.  Budd sells gloves, does anyone know how they are?   And do Swaine Adeney Brigg, Cleverley or Edward Green sell good gloves (in the case of Green and Cleverley, do they make/sell gloves at all?)?

Oh, and if anyone found size 8 black Hermes gloves in a taxi or at Cipriani on 55 Wall St, do give me a call.  In fact, if any of you KNOW the number for Cipriani on 55 Wall Street, PLEASE let me know.  Directory assistance, the web, and Cipriani itself couldn't give it to me -- very, very odd.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Dent's of England makes a fine, individully sized glove that meets all of your requirements at much less than $500. Sold at H. Herzfeld, NYC.

demo5

Reaction score
The best pair of gloves I ever owned (and lost), were nappa leather, sidewall cashmere lined gloves from Portolano. Unforunately, they are not made anymore. I have gotten other pairs from them, however, and have found them to be of the highest quality. With summer approaching, it will be hard to find them, but if you wait until the fall, they will be back around. I know Neimans carries some of their line. They have a very very limited selection on portolano.com. However, you could always call/e-mail the company to find out who carries them beyond Neimans.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All of the Portolano I have seen was made in China.  It's perennially on closeout at Century 21, Marshalls and Bluefly.  I wouldn't pay anything near full price for it. Their products haven't impressed me.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More than one person whose opinion I value has suggested Merola in Rome; and my understanding is that you can fax them tracings of your hand and various measurements and they can make you essentially a bespoke pair of gloves, specified however you want them. Of course, when I sent e-mail, I was told that I would have to order 12 in a size, but I don't think that I made myself clear about what I was really looking for.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than one person whose opinion I value has suggested Merola in Rome; and my understanding is that you can fax them tracings of your hand and various measurements and they can make you essentially a bespoke pair of gloves, specified however you want them. Of course, when I sent e-mail, I was told that I would have to order 12 in a size, but I don't think that I made myself clear about what I was really looking for.
Based on the winter catalog, both Merola and Loro Piana gloves are available at Bergdorf. Price about $250, if I recall. Cost for peccary gloves (and I know that's not what you're seeking) are $250 at Davide Cenci and $187 at Paul Stuart (who has a wide selection, individually sized, from Italy-I purchased the peccary gloves from them). Purple Label gloves are $200-$250 at the mansion. Both Oxxford and Turnbull also stock gloves. I thought that the Oxxford stock was high quality but also expensive (this was 1 1/2 years ago). FWIW, I think Naturlaut was trying to sell Purple Label gloves on EBay 3 weeks ago, but didn't get any bids if I recall (not my size). Sorry for the random nature of these observations.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, thank you Stylestudent, thank all of you for weighing in and apologies for my snippiness. I wonder who makes T&A's gloves.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked in to good gloves and purchased several pair.

I can recommend Dent's but my favorite have been Chester Jeffries bespoke, for a very reasonable cost. They have a website but it's incomplete. Ask for their catalog. Also, I've tried Alywn glovemakers (also on web), which aren't bad either. All three are English firms and I have gloves from each. CJ fit best, obviously. I think there's still a glovemakers guild in England and you might contact it for other sources. If you go direct you can get good gloves at a reasonable cost.

On AAAC, there were one or two good threads on gloves that would interest you, I think.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pickett website offers sized capeskin gloves (don't know the relationship to kidskin) that are cashmere lined at reasonable prices (unlike the highly-priced hogskin gloves): http://web14090.vs.netbenefit.co.uk/...og/Gloves.html I can't comment on quality. Edit: Merola deerskin gloves at Bergdorf, not lined and not sized, cost $175 (if any are left). Loro Piana peccary costs almost three times as much.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dent's are available in DC at Wm Fox & Co. on G Street. I doubt though that they'd satisfy your desire to replace the lost ones -- they are very nice, but I wouldn't call them ultraluxurious or decadent in same way I imagine the Hermes ones were. You might try Neiman Marcus. Or, wait for your next trip to NYC -- Stylestudent's suggestions sound like good ones.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I second the recommendation of Merola and Dents. Merola gloves are especially beautiful. In any case, both are excellent makers in terms of craftsmanship, though I'd have to agree that some Hermes gloves are quite stylish on top of having equally good quality leather and stitching.

I actually bought the RLPL from Mr. Harris but they were too big.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, if any of you KNOW the number for Cipriani on 55 Wall Street, PLEASE let me know. Directory assistance, the web, and Cipriani itself couldn't give it to me -- very, very odd.
Quick tip: If you ever leave something at a restaurant, bar, club, etc... Don't ever say "I'm calling to see if you found a pair of Hermes gloves that I left there last night."

Instead, say "I spoke with one of your managers last night, and they told me to call this afternoon to pick up the pair of gloves that was left there last night." Say this regardless of where such a conversation ever existed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads