Glaser Duffel Bag on eBay-ended today

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chips, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Chips

Chips Senior member

Just wondering if anyone else here on the forum had noticed or was watching/bidding on this beautiful example of Myrons leatherwork?

I asked the seller how old the bag was, since it wasn't listed in the auction, even though it looks to be in amazing condition. I was surprised that he was willing to publish the question on the auction thread, because that no doubt would influence bidders top price they'd be willing to pay. I know it changed mine.

I wouldn't be surprised if the seller makes 50-65% of his investment back on the bag. I wonder what they went for back in 94-97? They now sell for $808 new after taxes, here in CA.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That's such a raging bargain. I really wanted to purchase one of his briefcases when I still lived in California, but for some reason I couldn't get over the logo. Instead I bought a more expensive SAB case, which I suspect isn't as nice. Live and learn.

3. Chips

Chips Senior member

If I were to get a custom order, I'd have the logo placed a bit higher than where it sits. But other than that, they are an amazing thing to see first hand. Completely made by hand. Highest quality materials. I was just curious if anybody else here was looking at it. I'll probably pick it up Friday, since it was sold locally.

4. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

link?

5. Chips

Chips Senior member

Tried adding it in on the original post. but decided not to. All you're going to see is a very tiny pic. I won the auction. Since it's local, I'll likely pick it up Friday, and if I do then, I'll take some pics to share.

Also, I think I'll put a quick call into Myron and ask what would be the best way to condition the bag, if it's 10 years old, and not stiff, it shouldn't be a problem, If it's old, stiff and cracked, it's going back returned as an item not as described.

I remember when we did the Styleforum meetup at Glaser designs, ( one of my favorite meetups) he mentioned using the cheapest cans of aerosol shaving cream, I believe. Or perhaps it was cheap hand lotion. Not sure, so that's why I'm going to call him today.

6. Chips

Chips Senior member

Just got off the phone with Myron's son. It's Nivea Hand Lotion, the original formula. Perfect for leather preservation, in his professional opinion.

7. _AMD

_AMD Senior member

That is what I use on my Glaser bag (per their recommendation), and it has worked well in my experience.

Aaron

8. Chips

Chips Senior member

Picked up the bag tonight after work. The guy lives 5 blocks from my hospital where I work. It looks and feels brand new. The leather is supple, there isn't a single scratch on the thing other than some mild marks on the bottom brass feet, you couldn't tell it's even been used. Soft medium brown with a slight pebble grain texture, looks like it was bought yesterday. Just got home and am too friggin tired to take pictures now, but I will tomorrow or Friday when I'm off work.

It's bigger than what I mentally pictured. I'm going to get a ton of use out of it. It's perfect for carry on, and will haul all my gear that I drag with me to work( I work 12 hour shifts and carry a lot of shit unfortunately).

Now I guess I need to transfer all my papers and gear out of my Filson and put that up on B&S. My laptop will fit in this Glaser, with room for my lunch bag and stethescope and other crap.

Score of the year. And maybe I had some good karma coming to me, I drove away, got about 2 blocks away and reached for where I thought I left my cell and couldn't find it. Tore the car apart on the side of the road in a residential area here in San Fran, couldn't find it. Got all the way home in Pacifica to email the guy I bought the bag off of on eBay, to ask if perhaps it fell out in his drive way ( my keys fell out of my hoodie pocket when I reached back into my car to compare the Filson to the Glaser) and so, I was hoping that he had found it and picked it up. I emailed him, no luck, He didn't see it. It's a brand new 4G cell that I got two weeks ago ( $650 retail Droid Bionic) so I was a little depressed to say the least.It really was putting a damper on what was an awesome friggin evening. I've never lost anything valuable. I wasn't sure if it would allow someone to answer a call to it, since it's locked ( I haven't figured out all the features) but luckily, when I called, a girl with a cute voice answered and told me she found it about 10 feet from where I parked in the guys driveway. I drove a half hour back in the city and tried to give her $20 as a thank you. She wouldn't even accept that. Hot little college chick came out to meet me and give me my cell. This really turned out to be a great friggin day!

TLDR:

I'm one lucky Mo-Fo.