• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone compare the fit of Gitmans vs. Epaulet shirts. I think I need to size down one from Epaulet but I am wondering, if an Epaulet Large fits snug on me, how will a Gitman Medium fit (especially around the torso).

I'm a S in both Gitman and Epaulet. The only differences I notice are that Gitmans have slightly broader shoulders and they have more material in the back (since Epaulet uses darts). I don't size down going from Epaulet to Gitman.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear an L in Gitman and an XL in Epaulet. I have tried XL in Gitman, but I can wrap it like a kimono. I an Epaulet L is snug on you, try L in Gitman and hot soak and dry to get a little shrink.

Gagno905

Reaction score
Epaulet is definitely bigger than Gitman. I own several GV and one Epaulet and it's much larger. Larger P2P and S2S. Length is about the same on both.

I'm an XS in both.

racknac

Reaction score
I wear a medium it both Gitman and Epaulet shirts. I only have the blue overdyed oxford 2010 and the green chambray 2011 Gitman shirts though...

Gruntle

Reaction score

Both Epaulet and Gitman shirts vary in size depending on the fabric used and season, so it's challenging to say.

I wear L in Gitman, XL in Epaulet and TOJ. I find the XL to be too long in the body with the gitman XL shirts that i have.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Epaulet and Gitman shirts vary in size depending on the fabric used and season, so it's challenging to say.

This is really the best point, although I feel Epaulet is much more consistent in their sizing. I own 11 Epaulets and 11 GV, and while I'm a S in all the Epaulets, there are a couple GV shirts for which I've had to size up. Still, I wouldn't say Epaulet fits larger than GV in general. Best to look at the vendor's website to see what they give for measurements.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, go by their measurements. I think Gitman spans a broader range from xs to xl while Epaulet has the same number of sizes covering a smaller range. Just compare the numbers:

Gitman XS= 18.5" p2p
Gitman XL=25" p2p

Epaulet XS=18" p2p
Epaulet XL=22" p2p

(measurements taken from Context and Epaulet respectively)

So it really depends where you fall in the size spectrum as to how they compare. I'm a Large in Gitman and they are on the big side for me. I can get a Gitman medium on but it's skin tight and not wearable. There is a big jump from medium to large in Gitman.

With Epaulet I can get a fit on either large or XL. I have done an XL with a wash and a dry to shrink it a little and that has been the best fit. The large was snug to start with, but wearable. I think it's easier to find the perfect fit with Epaulet as long as you fall in their range. I really want something between a medium and a large from Gitman to be an ideal fit. As it is I wear the large but wish I could slim down the lower portion a little (may have one darted at some point to see how that works)

Last edited:

Pulp088

Reaction score
I recently got one of the cotton yarn dyed plaid shirts from the F/W 2011 collection and it fits similar to an Epaulet medium. But it looks like this is not the case for all Gitman shirts this season since it seems Need Supply is recommending folks size up on the cotton yard dyed plaid shirts.

WFU_guy

Reaction score

I agree. I've seen a lot of variance with sizing in Gitman. I prefer the fit of Gitman over Epaulet in general though.

thebunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks. I was able to try on a medium and large of a madras vertical striped shirt yesterday (on vacation in Portland, Maine). Unfortunately, they only had the one style in the two sizes. large was huge on me but medium was too tight around my belly. Prolly best bet would e to get a large and try to shrinkt or alter it via dart, et.

I do disagree with those that mention that the Epaulet shirts are inconsistent. I have 7 shirts (2 oxfords, 4 dress shirts in different styles and a casual button up) and all are consistent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics