• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Married at 5 pm Outdoors - Need Advice on Groom and Groomsmen Attire?

beyondmars2020

Reaction score
Hi gentlemen,

I've learned a lot from Styleforum and thought I'd turn to all of you for one of the biggest days of my life.

So I'm getting married this fall. The ceremony will take place outdoors at the end of September at 5 pm at a small Sonoma, California, USA winery. The reception will run until midnight. My fiance will be wearing a white formal wedding gown, and the bridesmaids will most likely be wearing matching deep purple bridesmaid's dresses. The requested dress code for the audience will be some version of Semiformal/Black Tie Optional, which translates however improperly in American popular culture to most men in lounge suits, a few in tuxedos, and a few in odd jackets.

Like many of you, I appreciate fine clothing, but I'm practical and hope to avoid spending lavishly, especially on clothes that will be rarely worn.

As the groom, here are a few of my options:

1. Wear my MTM navy single breasted peak lapel lounge suit with a white spread collar shirt, wedding tie (black and white glen plaid), white linen pocket square, and flower, all of which I have, along with black cap toe shoes or black wholecuts. The navy suit has two buttons, and the trousers are cuffed, which are less formal for the occasion. If I chose this option, what can be added to enhance the formality, eg. a waistcoast? If so, what color, fabric, and possible vendor? It's possible that my MTM tailor still has matching fabric. Pictures?

2. Build a stroller outfit to get close to the formality of the bride's wedding gown. I own a charcoal double breasted suit, whose coat could be potentially used for a stroller outfit. I do not own a suitable waistcoat nor formal striped trousers. If I chose this option, what color, pattern, and fabric for waistcoat and trousers? Who are possible vendors for these items (eg. up to $250 for each)? Then change into a tuxedo for the reception.

3. Wear my black, single button, peak lapel grosgrain tuxedo for both the ceremony and reception. I'm hesitant to wear the tuxedo as it will not quite be evening. Is 5p close enough to evening hours to be appropriate?

4. Wear my charcoal double breasted suit. What could make this more formal?

5. Morning dress is highly unlikely.

6. Other ideas?

As for the groomsmen, what would you advise with each of the options above? All own a suit or two, but they are mostly non-sartorial. I certainly would like to avoid having to purchase or rent special clothing, though rental is not out of the question. I would certainly consider gifting wedding ties. If there were 6 groomsmen, anybody have a suggestion of 6 different but appropriate wedding ties?

For option 1 above (ie. groom in navy suit), perhaps request them to all wear suits, question what color? charcoal? midgray? navy? with wedding ties?
For option 2 above (ie. groom in stroller), suit.
For option 3 above (ie. groom in tuxedo), tuxedo.
etc?

I've read all of the main posts here on wedding attire. Unfortunately, I can't seem to access Manton's excellent post on the London Lounge as I'm not a member and can't register.

All constructive ideas, suggestion, feedback, and lookbook photos greatly appreciated!

RY4N

Reaction score
I don't think it being 5pm is that big of a deal, since it is only one hour early, and most people wear tuxes during the day anyway. I would think it strange if you wore a suit, and some guests wore tuxes.

beyondmars2020

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
As tempting as white tie is, it's overkill and anachronistic for a wedding at a famiy owned winery.
So it looks like a tuxedo it will be.

Next questions:

I have a black single breasted, peak lapel, one button grosgrain tuxedo as a base.
I will be wearing patent leather plain oxfords and white braces.
I reckon that I should wear a white flower.

Some options that I'm considering:

A. Black SBPL tuxedo with white Marcella waistcoat, wing collar white pique shirt, and black butterfly bowtie
B. Black SBPL tuxedo with white Marcella waistcoat, wing collar white pique shirt, and white butterfly bowtie
C. Black SBPL tuxedo with black waistcoat (what style? horseshoe waistcoat? regular single breasted waistcoat?), wing collar (or turndown collar?) white pique shirt, and black butterfly bowtie
D. Black SBPL tuxedo with black silk cummerbund, turndown collar dress shirt, and black butterfly bowtie

1. Which option would you choose and why? I'm leaning towards A or B (B at my own peril).

2. What would you ask the groomsmen to wear?
I'm thinking a slightly less formal black tuxedo (eg. cummerbund, turndown collar shirt, and black bowtie).

Many thanks.

deadAngle

Reaction score
Don't go for B, because the white tie should generally be reserved for white tie. If you have the marcella waistcoat or cummerbund already, go for A or D; otherwise, C or D depend on what you can scrounge up for black waistcoats. For C, you'll not find a waistcoat in a matching fabric, so go for a low-cut U or V waistcoat in black silk. Personally, I would lean towards A because it's slightly earlier in the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads