• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting an Overcoat Made

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't call charcoal severe (I save that for black), I will agree that Navy is much more versatile and should probably be the choice for a first overcoat. I'd probably follow up with a camel color before I go to charcoal or black. After that, anything's fair game.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm close to Sydney, but I travel to colder climes fairly regularly and will be moving to a colder area at some point, so thought I'd get my first overcoat this year. Haven't thought about style preference yet. As this will be my first, I wasn't thinking of anything fancy.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please help the totally clueless among us and by "us", I mean "me". I think the look below is fabulous but I thought that an overcoat was not subject to the "leave the last button undone" rule. I am not opposed to it but I currently button them all, for full protection against the elements. Am I wrong?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please help the totally clueless among us and by "us", I mean "me". I think the look below is fabulous but I thought that an overcoat was not subject to the "leave the last button undone" rule. I am not opposed to it but I currently button them all, for full protection against the elements. Am I wrong?

With an overcoat it is not compulsory, you can leave it undone or you can do it up.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First fitting today, this really is an embryo of what it will be!
603c5dab.jpg

ecdb5e6b.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Please help the totally clueless among us and by "us", I mean "me". I think the look below is fabulous... Am I wrong?

sleeves are quite long. trousers are very long. i cannot put my finger on it, but fabulous doesn't come to my mind....

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First fitting today, this really is an embryo of what it will be!
603c5dab.jpg

ecdb5e6b.jpg
[

Many thanks for posting Rob - really keen to see how this one will turn out!

Curious: how close did you want this coat to resemble the Taub coat?

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Many thanks for posting Rob - really keen to see how this one will turn out!
Curious: how close did you want this coat to resemble the Taub coat?

Close, but not identical. I'll have a few details that Taub's won't, like a sleeve band and the buttons on the pockets. Not sure if the back will be exactly the same either, don't remember how Taub's had it.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Close, but not identical. I'll have a few details that Taub's won't, like a sleeve band and the buttons on the pockets. Not sure if the back will be exactly the same either, don't remember how Taub's had it.

Thanks Rob - that's exactly where I was going. I was thinking about this detail:

GCBkShld.jpg

Any specific reason why yours will (not) have that detail? Clearly, no critique; am contemplating this as a future coat, but am not sure about that upper back detail. Why is it there like that instead of a one piece back?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads