• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mustard
Thanks for your input! My budget is in the 1900 range for bike and all necessary beginner accessories like shoes, pedals, helmet, etc. so it looks like the Allez or the TCR1 for me. I have a feeling I'm going to regret not forking out the extra 3-400 and getting the CAAD10 a few months down the road but people are telling me to just buy for the now. I think I'm content with aluminum for now but I will heed your advice about trying a carbon bike. I plan to make the buy this weekend and I will ride the Allez and CAAD10 back to back for longer periods of time. My qualms about the Allez: less tidy 105 after starting my search on 2011 bikes with tucked 105 cables, ****** brakes, heavy weight (not a huge concern for a beginner though). I feel the CAAD is too much bike for a guy who can barely shift gears. The TCR1 is in the middle and the one I felt most uncomfortable on but all that can adjusted with the right size and a good fit, right?
^whatever you do don't force yourself to buy a bike because you want to ride ASAP... especially if you're on a budget. There is no such thing as "too much bike" when it means a better frame and component group. you can definitely have "too much wheels" if you spend $2,000 on carbon deep rimmed tubulars. There are normal well priced wheels $500range that will be fine for training riding everyday. the best thing about bikes these days is that 105/tiagra/rival are all actually really good groups. for me, the best value in entry level road bikes right now is the Rival Equipped CAAD10. Rival shifts about 95% as good as force/Red and is only 150g-200g heavier than Red! you can find it for $1700 and below. It already has a very light carbon fork (less than 390g and probably 360-350 after cutting down the steerer when you have the fit dialed in). Since you're already leaning towards purchasing a brand new bike with an aluminum frame. It will be already in the low 17lbs range stock and with a new wheelset (an eventual upgrade) you'll be in the 16lbs easy. the rival CAAD10 is already a race ready legit bike right out of the box. any upgrades can be minor ones (like new seapost/seat/cables/ect). All bikes basically come with wheels that can be upgraded (unless you're spending $4,000 and up).

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roundabout
Hey, I was there too! Missed my start for the TTT due to a wrong turn while pre-riding the course with our teams, ended up doing the TTT then starting the road race 5 minutes later. Pro tip: Don't get embrocation you're allergic to on the back of your knees during a road race, makes it difficult to, uh, bend your leg (ie. pedal). C's crit went well until a crash occurred on the last corner of the last lap, ruining our leadout train.
The crash involved 3 of our guys, one broke his collar bone, one got stitches, and the other was pretty much ok except for some scratches. Ruined their leadout train too.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorman
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2318981224.html

yay or nay?

Probably a good all-around ride for compacted trails/rails-to-trails/etc. I wouldn't take it on any true single track or try to put it through its paces off-road. Will it take fenders and a rack? If so, put some street tires on it and you're good to ride to work.

I've owned three Treks now and have been happy with each. The first two lasted me a decade each with little upkeep. Which I do not recommend!
wink.gif

The seller's recommendation that it fits someone as short as 5'5" is probably wrong--I'm 5'7" with a 27.5" (or so) inseam and I'd call that bike too big for me.

Offer him $100 for it.

b

poorman

Reaction score
I think the owner has sold it, I still haven't gotten a response. Maybe I'm just being impatient! haha. That's exactly what I plan I using the bike for a commute. It was recommended for me to look on Craigslist for bikes but I guess I know what I'm looking for, a "city bike," but I don't know what I'm looking for, if that makes sense. All I know how to do is search "Trek." LOL. I don't know of any "good brands". Since you guys seem pretty cool about it... How is this one? http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2317218844.html

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the owner has sold it, I still haven't gotten a response. Maybe I'm just being impatient! haha.

That's exactly what I plan I using the bike for a commute. It was recommended for me to look on Craigslist for bikes but I guess I know what I'm looking for, a "city bike," but I don't know what I'm looking for, if that makes sense. All I know how to do is search "Trek." LOL. I don't know of any "good brands".

Since you guys seem pretty cool about it...
How is this one?
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2317218844.html

Don't buy that one.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IThat's exactly what I plan I using the bike for a commute. It was recommended for me to look on Craigslist for bikes but I guess I know what I'm looking for, a "city bike," but I don't know what I'm looking for, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. Here are a few things to look for when you actually check out the bikes:

Mounts: are there rack and fender mounts? Most mt. bikes will not have these. Most "city" or "hybrid" bikes would. At least I think they would on a hybrid. Maybe cheaper bikes marketed as mt. bikes will too. Not sure.

Gearing: I like the full spectrum of gears avail on a mt. or road bike because my commute is hilly. If yours isn't, you may not need them.

Tires: you can always replace them, but in my experience, the fatter the cushier. A 2.25" mt. bike tire just a tad low on air will offer a real nice ride. But don't go too low or you'll risk a pinch flat. The skinner tires, for me, aren't as good. That said, there are a number of commuter tires that are, say 33mm or so that offer a nice ride. The point here is that if you want to go with really wide tires, you'll need a frame that fits them. I have no experience with road bikes, but I'd worry about fitting a fat tire on a road frame.

I'd look for a cheap cyclocross frame. It'll probably have mounts and will take sufficiently fat tires. And it should have good gearing. Just my 2 cents' worth.

That's what I would say is important to keep in mind.

b

innerstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mustard
Thanks for your input! My budget is in the 1900 range for bike and all necessary beginner accessories like shoes, pedals, helmet, etc. so it looks like the Allez or the TCR1 for me. I have a feeling I'm going to regret not forking out the extra 3-400 and getting the CAAD10 a few months down the road but people are telling me to just buy for the now. I think I'm content with aluminum for now but I will heed your advice about trying a carbon bike. I plan to make the buy this weekend and I will ride the Allez and CAAD10 back to back for longer periods of time. My qualms about the Allez: less tidy 105 after starting my search on 2011 bikes with tucked 105 cables, ****** brakes, heavy weight (not a huge concern for a beginner though). I feel the CAAD is too much bike for a guy who can barely shift gears. The TCR1 is in the middle and the one I felt most uncomfortable on but all that can adjusted with the right size and a good fit, right?
Just wondering which bike did you end up going with? I test rode some bikes at Mikes Bikes this past weekend since they had a mega sale going on, IIRC the CAAD10-4 was $1499 on sale, the CAAD10-5 was $1249 on sale. The sale is over but if you can get the CAAD10 for those type of prices, I don't see why you would want to spend the same type of money on anything else.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a pair of brand new GP4000's from my friend for 15$. only downside is that they're bright yellow, but who cares at that price

also got 4th at cyclovets cat 5

mustard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by innerstyle
Just wondering which bike did you end up going with? I test rode some bikes at Mikes Bikes this past weekend since they had a mega sale going on, IIRC the CAAD10-4 was $1499 on sale, the CAAD10-5 was $1249 on sale. The sale is over but if you can get the CAAD10 for those type of prices, I don't see why you would want to spend the same type of money on anything else.

Damn, we don't get awesome prices like that in Canadia.I ended up with the Allez Elite after longer test rides with the CAAD10-5 back to back. The geometry just felt "right" for me. My first upgrades for now will be some Kool Stop brake pads and perhaps some Soul wheels.

I actually just got back from my first ride and fell like 3x - goddamn clipless pedals. I think it was because I was trying too hard to not fall. It was fun getting used to the shifting going through different elevations.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Probably a good all-around ride for compacted trails/rails-to-trails/etc. I wouldn't take it on any true single track or try to put it through its paces off-road. Will it take fenders and a rack? If so, put some street tires on it and you're good to ride to work.

I've owned three Treks now and have been happy with each. The first two lasted me a decade each with little upkeep. Which I do not recommend!
wink.gif

The seller's recommendation that it fits someone as short as 5'5" is probably wrong--I'm 5'7" with a 27.5" (or so) inseam and I'd call that bike too big for me.

Offer him $100 for it.

b

do you have a really long upper body or do i have a really short one? lol my standover is 30.5

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
do you have a really long upper body or do i have a really short one? lol my standover is 30.5

I don't know about you, but I'm short!
smile.gif
Seriously, I'm stocky, with short legs, I guess. There is no way I could clear a 30.5" stand-over.

b

oisin

Reaction score
talk to me about commuting bikes. I want to ride to work (~5ish miles each way). I want to be able to put a couple bags from the farmer's market on my bike (so want something that can easily accept panniers). May want to someday ride from LA to Santa Barbara (just for kicks) but this is mostly for riding to work and around town on the weekend.

From what I've read a touring bike may fit my needs. They seem expensive though ($1000-1200). Brands/models I've seen are the Surly LHT, Jamis Aurora, Bianchi Volpe, Novara/REI Randonee, Trek 520. Few bike shops seem to carry these, least of all various versions for me to try them all out.

Anyway, besides these models, recommendations on a bike for commuting and city riding, especially closer to the $700 range? Sounds like a steel frame would be nice, and I prefer the drop handles. Thanks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A similar model but used?

The issue you are going to run into is that the shifters for drop handlebars are expensive and usually push the price up. It is hard to make that price point and use integrated shifters without using junk or really compromising.

You might be able to get something like a LHT built up with barcons or Kelly Take-Offs for a lot less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads