• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try different pads if you're looking for more modulation--what do you have in there now?
That is a good question, I will have to check, can't remember. Pretty sure they're not metallic pads.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too much?

IMG_6988.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it...
Mine is a Black Cat from a million years ago.
Next step, get yourself a naked portafilter.

I think a better grinder comes first, but I’ll get there.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got a question for the group. i'm converting my old CAAD 8 into a daily rider and taking off the clipless pedals for some flats. as this is styleforum, it has to look good.

cdale_7caad8optimo1_blk_07_m.jpg

thoughts on some flats that will look good with this? i don't need pins or anything, this just gonna be fun riding around town and i'd like to keep the skin on my shins during the summer.

i was thinking these shimano (cause brand loyalty) EF202 pedals but they look a bit bulky.

SIL_D1.jpg

ETA: other thought was something like this, but think it might be too old school:

1716914164939.jpeg

other suggestions welcome

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got a question for the group. i'm converting my old CAAD 8 into a daily rider and taking off the clipless pedals for some flats. as this is styleforum, it has to look good.

cdale_7caad8optimo1_blk_07_m.jpg

thoughts on some flats that will look good with this? i don't need pins or anything, this just gonna be fun riding around town and i'd like to keep the skin on my shins during the summer.

i was thinking these shimano (cause brand loyalty) EF202 pedals but they look a bit bulky.

SIL_D1.jpg

ETA: other thought was something like this, but think it might be too old school:

View attachment 2191567

other suggestions welcome

i've been using these for years and they're fine.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to see them all around Boston and had no idea what they meant. Finally looked it up and came to the sad, shocking realization how many of these are out there. It's clearly Baader-Meinhof phenomenon but once you notice them, you just can't stop seeing them everywhere in most decent sized cities.
There's one or two here in DC. thankfully the bike lanes seem to be pretty safe. I knocked out 32 miles yesterday and half was urban. Just gotta watch the trucks turning right at the lights for the most part.

Heading back out now. In the 80s but low humidity for a change. mid-90s by the end of the week. Ugh.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's one or two here in DC. thankfully the bike lanes seem to be pretty safe. I knocked out 32 miles yesterday and half was urban. Just gotta watch the trucks turning right at the lights for the most part.

Heading back out now. In the 80s but low humidity for a change. mid-90s by the end of the week. Ugh.
I went out in the afternoon yesterday, trying to beat an incoming storm. I was not successful. I even stopped road side to wait it out because the wind picked up enough that I couldn't see. Reminded me of FL when you get a crazy thunderstorm every afternoon, then clears right up.

Another plug for Gore Tex Infinium (same WB fabric that the CHPT 3 jacket's made from). That stuff is magic. Almost 100% water-proof but the magic lies in its ability to breath. It works better than any other waterproof breathable membrane type system. No taped seams so it's not truly waterproof but more than adequate. The only unknown at this point is if the DWR coating wears off eventually and stops working. But so far (2 seasons) it's held up well. Gets a ton of use in the shoulder seasons and I wash it after almost every use.

I picked this Castelli version on sale and happens to still be discounted.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus