• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it is that's what I want. This will most likely be my last G&G pair.

You know, I only have about two more GG models that I really want. This might be sacrilegious to say in this thread, but I feel comfortable with the amount of shoes I have. I have been on SF long enough to know what I like, so I don't experiment as much as I use to...

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I only have about two more GG models that I really want. This might be sacrilegious to say in this thread, but I feel comfortable with the amount of shoes I have. I have been on SF long enough to know what I like, so I don't experiment as much as I use to...
So besides GG what else do you currently own?

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So besides GG what else do you currently own?

I have some AE's from the old days, i enjoy their loafers and just don't feel like paying more for this type of shoe. I plan to collect some unlined EG chukkas to accompany my Westminster, but nothing else really called to me at the moment. I have tried and failed blind buying other brands like C&J, VASS, Alden, etc. So i have learned to stick with what i know, for now...

Tallcane

Reaction score

In this color :D

[/SPOILER]

]

I like where this is headed. how does this compare to an Ullswater in walnut cc?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it is that's what I want. This will most likely be my last G&G pair.

Here is comparison shot of brown Highland grain & brown pin grain (with a penny for reference):

Pin grain is really small, i think it's the highland grain. As a side note, the highland grain swatch is very smooth and malleable, the pin grain is a little stiff in comprison. I leave the rest to you good sir... :bigstar:

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is comparison shot of brown Highland grain & brown pin grain (with a penny for reference):

SPOILER]

Pin grain is really small, i think it's the highland grain. As a side note, the highland grain swatch is very smooth and malleable, the pin grain is a little stiff in comprison. I leave the rest to you good sir... :bigstar:

JS you are correct it is the highland grain, I will make the change. Thank you.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like where this is headed. how does this compare to an Ullswater in walnut cc?

I think Walnut CC and British Grain are identical in color. Ullswater has straight almost balmoral broguing on side of the shoes. I would say they are pretty comparable.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some AE's from the old days, i enjoy their loafers and just don't feel like paying more for this type of shoe. I plan to collect some unlined EG chukkas to accompany my Westminster, but nothing else really called to me at the moment. I have tried and failed blind buying other brands like C&J, VASS, Alden, etc. So i have learned to stick with what i know, for now...

Personally I like Ranger Mocs and Boat shoes from Rancourt. They're extremely casual and very comfortable. I have one pair of their loafers, but I'm not much of a loafer person. With one foot a half size bigger than the other this is a hard fit for me anyway. So I also haven't had any desires to get something like this from GG or EG either. I've been fairly lucky buying blind for the most part with a few from C&J, Vass and Alden. But I think I've stuck primarily with their more easier to fit Lasts when doing so.

I've been buying mostly EG of late, but I've had an itch to get something a bit different lately. So I've been looking at a few GG models lately.

Naesuk

Reaction score
I just ordered the MTO Arran Thorpe, I missed out on them last time and as this order comes with speed hooks perfect for me. I saw a pair in the G&G shop yesterday and they look fantastic. With EG boots I'm fine with an E after trying on shoes in G&G I went up to an F. Is this most people's experience that you would go up a width with G&G v EG? Cheers.

Last edited:

itraxx

Reaction score
Apparently G&G are discontinuing mahogany shoe trees. Why would that be? I am not a fan of the natural finished option.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Apparently G&G are discontinuing mahogany shoe trees. Why would that be? I am not a fan of the natural finished option.

It's basically a hassle to stock several lines of shoe trees. We have five different colors. It's... challenging.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It's basically a hassle to stock several lines of shoe trees. We have five different colors. It's... challenging.

I should clarify, I don't know if that's actually the reason, just speaking from my personal experience as a retailer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads