• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shiny
happy.gif

I used saphir burgundy cream on the rioja's....i think it darkened them a bit...now they look more like burgundy oxfords...

also used saphir burgundy wax for the toes.

anyone else use a different color on their rioja colored shoes?

Fantastic photo...and beautiful shoes

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I have noticed all textured leathers are just not as supple. The shaft of my concept GG boots are in English grain, and it feels quite stiff as well. The crust leather vamp / quarters really make up most of the comfort for that boot. I could not imagine a whole shoe in English grain, the appeal is strictly in appearance for me.

In my hatch pair I do find the appearance to not reflect the price of the shoe as well as crust. It could, from far away, almost be mistaken for a pair of corrected grain Bostonians I have (that were free).

I have, however, found the leather to be extremely comfortable after a bit of a break in. Just seems to move well with my foot and have plenty of stretch.

For the price of G&G MTO I'd probably avoid it though.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanna post pics of rioja's polished with black?

Does it darken it up alot?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it GG that suggested using burgundy cream but black polish with their Rioja? I forget... :embar:

Either way, both shoes look well polished...

ianGP

Reaction score
would the same advise be applicable to vintage cherry?
(burgundy cream, black wax)

Last edited:

Itsuo

Reaction score

would the same advise be applicable to vintage cherry?
(burgundy cream, black wax)

I use neutral cream and black wax (only for the toes and rears). I also have what I think we've termed the "light(er) cherry". At first I thought it was too bright and "flashy" for the office. But I've grown to really like them.

It's also nice that they don't sound like a pair of rubber rain boots (like my St.James II). :facepalm:

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use saphir mahogany cream and wax for my vintage cherry...matches the color pretty well...

maybe others use different to add depth but i find mahogany matches the cherry color pretty well

Last edited:

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sorry for the repost of the Oakham mock-up, i didn't like how i Photoshoped the hatch grain part, and felt compelled to fix it:

Now it's of the same quality as the other hatch grain mock-ups...

Try to revive this MTO. Anyone is interested in this Oakham MTO (Not necessarily in Mid-night Blue)?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am always afraid of using cream or polish that is not matched to the leather color. i am a shoe polish wimp. :(

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly...i feel pretty similarly except in the case of a leather color that I bought and then don't like and want to try and make it a little better...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads