• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the problem the colour or the design? I was thinking in a dim ball room the deco black would look like a shiny pair of black shoes.

If I am not mistaken, they use a neutral coloured shoe and patina the rest of it black.

Thanks. Was in 2 minds when I bought it :p
Interesting - you think they start with a nude shoe and paint the rest of the shoe black? Rather than starting with a black shoe, stripping the toe box of its original color, and maybe applying a neutral paint to the toe box.

supern0va

Reaction score
Thanks! @c21ban These are Japanese Shark in their natural dark grey tone.

Nice. You also asked them to drop the V seam on the side. May I ask why?
:)

Interesting - you think they start with a nude shoe and paint the rest of the shoe black? Rather than starting with a black shoe, stripping the toe box of its original color, and maybe applying a neutral paint to the toe box.

From what I was told they bleach the toe tips to give the deco black color faded look.

I had asked the 39 Saville row store whether or not I could bring in a black shoe for them to repatinate as reverse Margaux patina, and they said it was not possible because it was a nude shoe coloured that way, rather than a black shoe that is bleached. I thought deco black is the same.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had asked the 39 Saville row store whether or not I could bring in a black shoe for them to repatinate as reverse Margaux patina, and they said it was not possible because it was a nude shoe coloured that day. I thought deco black is the same.

Interesting. I'm emboldened after I stripped & repainted a pair of Edward greens that I didn't like the color on. I used corthay / g&g as a template for my painting.

IMG_0114.JPG

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had asked the 39 Saville row store whether or not I could bring in a black shoe for them to repatinate as reverse Margaux patina, and they said it was not possible because it was a nude shoe coloured that way, rather than a black shoe that is bleached. I thought deco black is the same.
Yea for patina they start with naked shoes that patina is sick I got that for my London jodhpur with alligator !!

c21ban

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm emboldened after I stripped & repainted a pair of Edward greens that I didn't like the color on. I used corthay / g&g as a template for my painting.

View attachment 818714
@jonathanS Are you taking on Commission work? :cheers:

I am not totally fond of my Vintage Cherry and would like them to be darkened to more of a Mahogany color with some burnishing added! Nice work.

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I was told they bleach the toe tips to give the deco black color faded look.
Deco Black is a different leather color and different from the regular black. Also, they do the bleaching effect on the toe area of Deco black shoes which i have as well and haven't seen the bleaching effect on the Black calf shoes.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not totally fond of my Vintage Cherry and would like them to be darkened to more of a Mahogany color with some burnishing added! Nice work.
Perhaps! haha.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you tried applying a few coats of darker polish?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered Saphir Mahogany creme and wax polish. Waiting for it to come in.
I applied mahogany to dark oak and it made them much redder. Maybe try some dark brown or black if you want to get a darker shade. ???

Last edited:

buy a painting

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I thought they came out really well. Took forever though...I felt like I ordered them years ago.

@supern0va I have to be honest...I loathe the side stitch on the stock Thrope. It aesthetically offends me.
You got yourself very nice pair. May I ask how long exactly it took?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads