• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaining muscle but losing weight?

darnelled

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
6'1" and 145 is SKINNY. It isn't slim, it is stick-like. I don't know what kind of look you are going for, but I'd say you should eat, eat, eat.

If big and muscular is out of date and stick-thin is in, then its only a matter of time until stick-this is "out". I say gain some weight and look normal. But to each his own.

Agreed. I'm 6'2 , 188 lbs and still look thin. What everyone is saying is correct about eating more and differently. Use this link to determine your needed intake-

http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/for...47/m/693101221

Then this one to track it for a couple of weeks (then you'll be in the habit and won't need it)-

www.sparkpeople.com

aleeboy

Reaction score
OP,

I'm not sure if you are going after a very lean look, but you are about the same height as me yet you weigh about 50 pounds less. I look at my body and I'm not even that big myself. I would say that you are very underweight and skinny.

As others have said, stop doing cardio - not going to be too hard - and eat a lot of food along with lifting weights. You'd probably need to supplement with weight gainer/protein too.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
this is why calorie counting and food diaries are actually important. Most people are WAY off on their estimations of how much food they consume in a day.

its common sense.

if you want to gain weight,just eat more often and larger portions ...its simple

eat calorie dense food like unroasted nuts

enjoiii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i wish i had your problem, tall, skinny, and svelte. i think the muscular look is outdated. so 90s. be thankful. the lean and angular look is in.

lol Are you kidding? 6"1 and 142 lbs is just plain scrawny. Thats what prepubescent boys look like I wouldn't be thankful at all.

Just eat alot and you will gain weight. You have to have a surplus of calories in order to gain weight.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enjoiii
lol Are you kidding? 6"1 and 142 lbs is just plain scrawny. Thats what prepubescent boys look like I wouldn't be thankful at all.

it also depends on how big/small his frame is

you can have 2 guys at the same height,but 1 will look good at a weight of 150,whereas the other one at 180

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShyBoy
it also depends on how big/small his frame is

you can have 2 guys at the same height,but 1 will look good at a weight of 150,whereas the other one at 180

I agree with you, but I would say that any human being that's 6'2 142 lbs is going to be a skinny weakling regardless of frame.

Also, lol @ muscular frames being 'so 90s'

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Sho'Nuff here...I on't know about 6'1" 142lbs...but the apeish big-armed chachball look is silly.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I agree with Sho'Nuff here...I on't know about 6'1" 142lbs...but the apeish big-armed chachball look is silly.

There's a difference between being 'muscular' and being a curl monkey with ridiculously oversized biceps and delts.

I don't know why this example is so often used but Brad Pitt in Fight Club was muscular but didn't have the typical big-armed chachball look. I'd rather be that than 6'1 142lbs. I don't think any chick would prefer 142 lbs over that either (unless it's one of those really emo ones).

ShyBoy

Reaction score
its all a matter of proportion and symmetry...thats what appeals to women

what doesnt appeal is the overly bulky guys that need to lose 20 lbs of fat

i notice that when my bodyfat drops downs to 5%, i tend to freak out a lot of ppl,as they dont like the vascularity

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that if you are leading a normal life of eating and exercising the way you do is not forced, not compulsive, like you are not trying to starve yourself, I think you are fine. I know people over 6'2 and less than 140 pounds with perhaps 36 chest and a few of them definitely look naturally slim or skinny. You have to see him in person to actually make a judgment call.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that if you are leading a normal life of eating and exercising the way you do is not forced, not compulsive, like you are not trying to starve yourself, I think you are fine. .

you are truly an idiot

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wish i had your problem, tall, skinny, and svelte. i think the muscular look is outdated. so 90s. be thankful. the lean and angular look is in.
lol. So being in shape is "out-of-date"? Having a good build has never been, and will never be out of date. A muscular build looks better in and out of clothing.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
lol. So being in shape is "out-of-date"? Having a good build has never been, and will never be out of date. A muscular build looks better in and out of clothing.
Don't try to justify why you think your view on looks is solely correct. It's not.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Don't try to justify why you think your view on looks is solely correct. It's not.
Right, because looking healthy and built well as a man is not a characteristic that 99% of the population desires in a partner, or desires to be themselves. Who are you kidding? I know there are millions of men out there saying, I wish I had less muscle. I wish I looked less built, I want my clothes to hang off me like a hanger...And all the women out there saying, I wish I could find a guy with absolutely no shoulder or chest muscles and a little tiny back with his spine sticking out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads