• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FYI: Ghurka Messenger Bags at Discount

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, the Ghurka Outlet at Woodbury Commons has a few messenger and overnight bags on clearance sale. Retail price on these bags was between $495-595 for the messengers/laptop bags. Discounted to $99 + tax. For $107, Im happy, and believe the store will ship.

img2430qb5.jpg

this_is_james

Reaction score
Wow, I'm actually in the market for a messenger and an overnight bag. Did they have this messenger bag in the chestnut color? http://www.ghurka.com/browse/store_p...at_viewed=SALE Also, what overnight bags did they have and at roughly what prices? Did they also happen to have the following? http://www.ghurka.com/browse/store_product.jsp?p=P1099&c=8&s=-1&ss=-1&cat_viewed=MEN'S http://www.ghurka.com/browse/store_product.jsp?p=P1100&c=8&s=-1&ss=-1&cat_viewed=MEN'S http://www.ghurka.com/browse/store_product.jsp?p=P1007&c=8&s=-1&ss=-1&cat_viewed=MEN'S Thanks for the info!

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The clearance bags are ONLY in the black canvas/leather combination as pictured above. Price were 75-80% on the clearance stuff. Items from the classic line and regular leather goods are discounted 40-50% off retail prices. The stock at the Woodbury Common store was extremely limited when I visited, though I believe the bag I purchased was overstock, and a good bargain at its price point.

FWIW, when I visited the Ghurka store in the early evening there were approximately 2 other customers in the retail space. I also stopped by the Coach outlet on the same day--it was packed and I had a difficult time making my way to the accessory table (Gf wanted an iPod case). Prices at Coach sucked, and the quality was even worse.

skefferz

Reaction score
Thanks for this info.

Today I went to the Ghurka outlet and purchased the black messenger/utility bag for $109+tax. I don' t know why it's still selling on the Ghurka website for $595.

And I was the only customer in the store when I bought the bag.

I prefer to shop on a weekday--I hate the weekend crowds.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skefferz
Thanks for this info.

Today I went to the Ghurka outlet and purchased the black messenger/utility bag for $109+tax. I don' t know why it's still selling on the Ghurka website for $595.

And I was the only customer in the store when I bought the bag.

I prefer to shop on a weekday--I hate the weekend crowds.

Thanks for the info,

I ordered just before closing. I paid $109. didn't pay tax, but I did pay $12.50 for shipping. I called yesterday to get info about the bag. The salesperson directed me to the convoy bags on the Ghurka website (still listed for $595).
smile.gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just called up the outlet. i think i've got this correct. in addition to the Convoy at $107.99, they've got the Broker in Khaki Twill for $249 and Black Twill for $99; the Expediter in Khaki Twill for $249. i only asked about messenger bags and briefcases. you can check out pics at ghurka.com.

it was funny, the lady that answered the phone said that she had received a lot of calls about the Convoy bag today.

-Jeff

Maxten

Reaction score
Any thoughts about what is the better choice between the convoy and the broker?

It appears both will hold a laptop.

skefferz

Reaction score
I bought the convoy. Your choice may depend upon the size of your laptop.

The convoy is a one-handled messenger bag with snaps on its flap. It is heavier than the broker. Its size is 13.5x12x7 inches.

The broker is a two-handled briefcase with an unprotected silver zipper on its top. Its size is 16x11x3 inches.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maxten
Any thoughts about what is the better choice between the convoy and the broker? It appears both will hold a laptop.
IMO the Convoy looks better and I was inclined to order it given that it is also sturdier. However, it will only hold small laptops. I have a 15" and it is 14" wide, so the Convoy messenger bag is too small by measurement alone, although if it's 'flexible' it may well hold my 14" wide computer. Can anyone who has the Convoy post if they think a 15" laptop could fit snugly in the bag or is it too 'structured' to permit this?

skefferz

Reaction score
My laptop is 12 1/4" wide and fits snugly into the convoy's built-in sleeve. My Waterfield sleeve case is 13.5" wide and just fits into the bag.

The convoy's laptop sleeve is only padded on the side facing the interior of the bag. I do not feel any padding on the side facing the exterior.

My opinion is this bag would not fully protect a laptop. I recommend to insert a laptop into a padded sleeve case before placing a laptop into this bag.

So, a 14" wide laptop in a sleeve case would not fit.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ghurka owes me a commission.​

I would not opt for the Convoy. Another thing you should consider, the handle on the Convoy is at a slight slant and not comfortable for use while walking. The double handled messenger that I purchased, it designed like a typical bag. BTW, Ghurka uses nice heavy duty zippers.

hughjoen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Ghurka owes me a commission.​

Yes.

I just called and ordered both of them after my wife told me Ghurka is a good brand. Never heard of them though... Also, they were willing to combine shipping on two bags to Seattle. No tax either.
biggrin.gif
Thanks norcaltransplant for the heads up.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hughjoen
Yes.

I just called and ordered both of them after my wife told me Ghurka is a good brand. Never heard of them though... Also, they were willing to combine shipping on two bags to Seattle. No tax either.
biggrin.gif
Thanks norcaltransplant for the heads up.

Hmmmm ... I wanted to order both and do an in-person inspection ... they declined combined shipping for me and said they'd charge me tax!
musicboohoo[1].gif

hughjoen

Reaction score
The lady who answered the phone today was very nice. I couldn't decide between the Convoy and the broker, and she spent 5 minutes explaining the difference between the two. This is first time I bought something entirely over the phone, and she was very helpful so I told her I want to order both of them and asked for shipping charges on them and she volunteered to call her manager and ask for shipping of $12.00 for UPS ground on both items. According to her, the shipping is based on $ amount purchased, not by weight. I think that sales tax is based on state where they have retail stores. Washington don't have one.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy