• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fused vs unfused suits

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Basting" is a temporary, large stitch (for easy visibility in a contrasting color,) to keep things in place until all the sewing is done. It is pulled out, once it is no longer needed. You can find suits in the shops where the basting of the shoulders is still left in place. For most production methods is no need for the basting at all. It is just added to give the impression of handwork.

Interesting... It seems I have been using an incorrect term and adding to the confusion. Sorry about that..

FCS

Reaction score
Yeah, I asked that after perusing A. Harris comment on another thread. So I guess you were referring to hand pad-stitched when you referred to basted lapels?
Quote Armani, Hugo Boss, Attolini, Oxford, Kiton, Canali, Cerruti, Barbera, Pal Zileri, Isaia, Ralph Lauren, Brioni, Zegna, Corneliani, and Belvest. I would be interested in hearing your opinions. I'm going to simplify this a bit and divide the suits into the following rough categories: Suits that are made with a canvas front, basted lapels, handpicked lapel edges, and handsewn buttonholes - Oxxford, Sartoria Attolini, Kiton, Brioni, Isaia (Enrico and most Gianluca,) Ralph Lauren Purple Label (both the current suits made by Saintandrews and the older suits made by Chester Barrie,) Luciano Barbera Collezioni Sartoriale, Sartorio by Attolini, Zegna Napoli Couture, and a (very) few Armani Classico suits. Other examples include Borrelli, D'Avenza, Cheshire Clothing (Chester Barrie,) Caruso (some,) and even some Hickey Freeman suits. Suits that are made with a canvased front, basted lapels, and handpicked lapel edges but without handsewn buttonholes - Belvest, the Pal Zileri www.sartoriale.it line, Canali Exclusive, Boss Baldessarini (I've been informed that the Baldessarini suits are made by Caruso,) Zegna (regular and Napoli lines - not the "Soft" suits,) Canali, Corneliani. Other examples include Cantarelli, Ravazzolo and Nervesa. Canvased front but no other significant detailing - Pal Zileri. Armani Classico and Black Label (made by Vestimenta.) Other examples include Vestimenta's own line and Samuelsohn. I'll add another category as well - suits with a canvased front and handsewn buttonholes but without handpicked lapels. Examples include most Hickey Freeman suits and most suits made by Martin Greenman (the Marcus Neiman Marcus line and the old Donna Karan Couture suits are examples of Greenman's work.) Fused front - Hugo Boss, Armani Collezioni, Emporio and Mani, Zegna Soft. These are rough categories. There are large differences in quality between a Sartoria Attolini and a Sartorio, a Belvest and a Corneliani to use a few as examples. Quote I would also argue that there are finer gradations in the "low end." For example, Hugo Boss and Strellson suits are far superior to RL's cheaper lines. This is very true. The differences between a top end and a low end fused suit have less to do with construction techniques and more to do with fabric and cut. These differences can be quite dramatic. Quote In addition, the mainline Pal Zileri suits I have seen were canvas, and I hear that some Armani Collezioni suits are as well...Canali Proposta may be canvas front as well, but I haven't seen anything in this line in person. I've never seena canvased front Armani Collezioni suit and I don't expect to. Canali Proposta suits are canvased but they often don't have handpicked lapels. Quote On another note, do those of you who sell on ebay find things like the above link troubling? I would think it would only hurt your business as everytime someone gets burned on a misrepresentation it is one less potential customer. Sellers that misrepresent merchandise like this are ruining my business. I wish I had time to pursue them and get them kicked off ebay. -------------- "The perfect suit is like the perfect wine - it does not exist, except in terms of individual taste." - Richard Walker in "Savile Row, An illustrated history"

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Exactly. I think I picked it up a few years ago from an article in Cigar Aficionado, or maybe Robb Report, and have been using the term since.

FCS

Reaction score
Is there any functional advantage of having the lapel hand pad-stitched as opposed to that done by machine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads