• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS - Memosail Countdown Chronograph Valjoux 7737

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to be an Ebay auction starting in about 5 hours. To save trouble, though, I figured I'd offer it up here until the listing starts. Price is $210 CONUS.

Here's the listing as I intend it to read -

Memosail Valjoux 7737 Yacht Chronograph Watch

Fabulous gently-worn vintage Memosail yacht watch in perfect working order. This highly sought after watch rarely is made available on Ebay. If purchased from a used watch dealer, it would cost upwards of $700. Valjoux 7737 movement is self-winding and provides highly accurate time-keeping. 17 jewels, 10-minute chrono.

The watch is in near new condition. There are, however, slight scratches on the face and casing, which can be buffed out, and a small missing piece of phosporus at the 30-minute mark (see closeup photo), which is only noticeable from 2-3 inches out.

Watch comes with leather strap, also dating to the 1970s.

Here are further details regarding the watch -

Before the start of a sailboat race, there are two guns, the first gun signals that the race will start in 10 minutes. At the 10-minute gun the sailors start their count down functions and maneuver their boats as close to the start line as possible for the start.

The countdown numbers are large so the skipper can instantly see how much time has elapsed. The countdown chronograph is very unusual in that it is a wheel beneath the dial much like a date wheel. In the stopped position, the wheel displays "START". When the chronograph is activated with the pusher at 2 o'clock, the timer begins and the orange sweep hand is set into action. At 30 seconds, the wheel does a half turn and at 60 seconds it does a full turn to indicate 1 minute of elapsed time. The number 10 will also come into view on the wheel, which is the first minute that has elapsed of the 10-minute countdown. This will continue for 10 minutes until the wheel has fully revolved, and countdown passes the 1 minute mark and the race begins. The first 5 minutes of the wheel are yellow with black numbers, and the last five minutes are red with white numbers. It can also be used for a 15-minute timer as the word "START" is broken up into 5 letters, which can be used as a 15-minute countdown.

The movement is a Valjoux 7737 which is a modified Valjoux 7733. The modification allows the chrono wheel to do a half turn at 30 seconds. The pusher at 4 o/clock resets the chrono wheel and chrono hand.

6c48346d.jpg

8f46a3af.jpg

92dca315.jpg

53a70152.jpg

4a108472.jpg

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I bid a couple times, but it got too rich for my blood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads